Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options
How interesting. I always heard muscle weighs more then fat, and maybe life was to busy to read a little on the subject to find out how simply logistical it is how this works. Regardless, I think I get it now.

Muscle takes up less space then fat. I read a great analogy comparing the look of a pound of raw potatoes vs a pound of mashed potatoes. When I pictured my muscles being the raw and my fat being the mashed potatoes, that visual really worked for me. Fat takes up more room and is jiggly vs muscles which are compact and more tightly together, so, if you put side by side two people with identical everythings except one works out and the other maintains their wait with calorie watching alone, the work out person will appear thinner then the other person, since they are simply storing the body weight in different ways.

This really helped this morning reading this. And at the end of the day if the clothes are fitting a little looser while the scale is not moving like we want, BUT if we are burning calories and building muscle when we can, then we are on the right track.

So, muscle does not weight more then fat, it just makes us look less fat when our weight has not moved on the scale.

Yep, a pound of gold weight the same as a pound of feathers, but imagine the different space each takes up, now I can imagine muscles being the gold and feathers being the fat, visuals are so important.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    But at the same time a lot of people who get that "oh don't worry you're probably building muscle" line aren't actually doing anything that would build muscle. It's hard to build muscle in a deficit. Most of them in truth are just gaining more fat.

But yes, if you truly are gaining the muscle you'll be a lot smaller than if you weigh the same but it's fat. I have a weight goal for if I just lose weight but a higher goal for if I decide to actually bust my *kitten* in the gym and actually get fit and get some muscle.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights or doing 'muscle strengthening' exercises, the assumption would be that you are building muscle.

I am 5'10" and 202, down from 213. I need to be around 185. So are you saying that my every other day upper body weight training is not building ANY muscle while I am losing weight?

I am not arguing or disagreeing, I am trying to get an answer.

To carry that logic a bit further, if I am wanting to look like I looked before, which is tone with muscle, your logic says that I can't build muscle until I start eating more then my maintain weight, or when I am NOT in a deficit. Sorry, that just does not compute. Maybe someone can elaborate more on how this really is the case.

Why is it that I am already feeling muscle and some is already showing up? Is it just an illusion?
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Annaskiski, I was not trying to sink anybody's 'battleship' (or jump on their case) with the 'discussion' and not the 'argument' that muscle doesn't weight more than fat. I started the post, I was not countering someone else's post making this claim. Are you a little hungry right now? :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights or doing 'muscle strengthening' exercises, the assumption would be that you are building muscle.

I am 5'10" and 202, down from 213. I need to be around 185. So are you saying that my every other day upper body weight training is not building ANY muscle while I am losing weight?

I am not arguing or disagreeing, I am trying to get an answer.

To carry that logic a bit further, if I am wanting to look like I looked before, which is tone with muscle, your logic says that I can't build muscle until I start eating more then my maintain weight, or when I am NOT in a deficit. Sorry, that just does not compute. Maybe someone can elaborate more on how this really is the case.

Why is it that I am already feeling muscle and some is already showing up? Is it just an illusion?

This is correct for the most part. You won't build muscle in a deficit unless you're an overweight beginner, or had the muscle before and lost it. You will notice more muscle while losing weight because you're getting leaner
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Maybe so galgenstrick, my story is that my muscles are feeling more solid which in my logic means they are going in the right direction, and I am sticking to it! :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Maybe so galgenstrick, my story is that my muscles are feeling more solid which in my logic means they are going in the right direction, and I am sticking to it! :)

Are you getting stronger?
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options

I heard this a lot too (that you can't build muscle with a caloric deficit). That clearly wasn't the case in the beginning for me. This summer I began going to the gym for the first time in my life and learned about strength training. As I lost 50 lbs, I WAS getting stronger along with muscle development. I was seeing muscles I didn't know were there (there is the muscle along the top of my forearm--never had that before). Just about every week I was increasing the amount of weight I could lift in just about every area. However, for about the last 4-6 weeks now, I have noticed there has been almost no new gains in strength even though my routine hasn't changed--same caloric deficit, same daily exercise, weight loss still continuing.

I've lost a total of 109 lbs now, with maybe 20 to go. All I can think is that I have reached a point where because of the caloric deficit I'm no longer building muscle, at least not as quickly, and that my copious fat stores had been funding the project previously. But now that they are dwindling the gains are too.

This is all just me supposin'. But I did notice what you are seeing also.

Maybe someone can answer this--I assume, just because the gains have slowed way down, the strength training hasn't become worthless? I don't care at all about looking muscley--I am trying to be toned up and am fighting some seriously loose skin and the exercise has definitely helped that. So I plan to continue but I don't want to be wasting my time either...

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When we say that one thing substance weighs more than another, we are really meaning some thinks are more dense.

Yet another weigh of saying this is that some substances weigh more than others AT the same volume.

Yet another weigh is to say that some substance take up more volume at the same weight.

When people are saying "muscle weighs more that fat", this is what they mean.

The biggest problem with the "muscle weighs more than fat" statement is that it is often unrealistically used as an explanation for someone not losing over a period where muscle building could not have happened.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    this is something that people say and its hard to stop it. i hear it all the time in real life
    mfp should keep a muscle doesnt weigh more than fat sticky at the top of the forum
    in the mean time why does it wind people up so much?
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Please go get one cubic foot of fat and put it on a scale and weigh it. Please go get one cubic foot of muscle and put it on a scale and weight it. Please look up the words 'volume' and 'density' in the dictionary.

When someone says lead weighs more than feathers no one screams, "That's completely untrue. One pound of lead is the same as one pound of feathers!"

Because everything weighs the same. On earth. I crack me up. Seriously, I agree with you.
This discussion has been closed.