fasting month

Options
This august would be the fasting month. I am also going to fast from 5.30am till 7.30pm. The thing is that if we under eat our calories, our body would go to starvation mode right? I usually can't eat much when breaking fast or before fasting. I don't want to have my body to go to starvation mode. Then I can't lose weight. Can anyone help me in dealing this problem? How can I increase calorie by right way? I would like to avoid any junk or processed food in order to increase calorie.

p.s. I can't eat bacon or any non-halal food/beverages.

Replies

• JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nuts - Cashews, almonds, peanuts etc (all raw - not roasted & salted!!) - seeds, beans, avocado, olives. Jam packed full of goodness and high cal. Will trip you over your fat intake but it's all good fat!!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nut butters would be a way to get healthy calorie-packed food quickly. And whole grains, breads, rice. Perhaps avocados.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is overblown on here, just eat protein and fiber full foods with veggies and you'll be fine :)
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Me too dear :)
    Ramadhan month will start in August and I don't know how to keep my body away from the starvation mode !!

I'll not do any workout during the day to avoid burning cals ( feeling hungry ) and I will do them after the sun set !
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" is WAY overblown on this site with ALOT of misinformation. You will be fine. no matter what you do and your body won't go into starvation mode.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There were some good links in this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/290042-exercise-during-ramadhan

Even though you have less time to eat, you should still be able to get your maintanance calories in. In Turkey most people break their fast with olives, dates, nuts and cheese, then move onto soup, salad, and a light main dish. They do tend to eat a LOT of bread, though!

I think the key is to eat slowly, and still try to spread out your meals. When I fasted, I noticed that after 16 hours of waiting for food/ water, we were done with dinner in 8 minutes!! By the second or third day, I tried to slow myself down. Eat slowly, then have some nuts, dried fruit a bit later on. If eating enough calories is really a concern, choose calorie dense foods.
    If you are waking up for the morning meal, you are still eating twice in the day.

Good luck
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" is WAY overblown on this site with ALOT of misinformation. You will be fine. no matter what you do and your body won't go into starvation mode.

You are so wrong about the starvation mode that it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Please do more research regarding eating and nutrition before you make these statements.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

You are so wrong about the starvation mode that it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Please do more research regarding eating and nutrition before you make these statements.

Lot of research done = Starvation mode is overblown on this site

Yeah, if you starve yourself then your body will burn fewer calories, but you'll still burn calories (people do STARVE to death after all). Sure, you can kick-start some loss with a binge every now and then but it's not like people who don't eat get enough get fat
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hhhm, I'll try the suggestions given. And regarding the starvation mode, it's written on my calorie count whenever I complete my food diary. The sentence below came out. I don't get hungry in ramadhan for some weird reason, so naturally I'll consume lesser. I tried calculating once and I was surprised I only consumed 700 calories only in one of the fasting days. :brokenheart: That's what making me worried. :sad: Anyways, than you for giving good suggestions. I would try it. :flowerforyou:

"based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."
  • d0llhouse
    d0llhouse Posts: 7
    Options

lol way to be completely rude and condescending.

what's your interpretation of *~starvation mode~*? because your body goes into starvation mode when it's been deprived of food over an extended period of time and resorts to consuming vital tissues to stay alive. starvation mode happens when a person has already consumed all of their fat reserves and you know, are literally STARVING-- not when they are one a low calorie diet.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Another key thing is try to get in plenty of water during your non-fasting hours to keep your body hydrated. It's funny, most of my friends gain weight during Ramadan. Maybe because they eat more in anticipation of not being able to eat during the day? Best of luck to you in August, I'm sure you'll be just fine.