How much

How much is the average monthly gym membership? What are the different prices for some different gyms?

Replies

• How much is the average monthly gym membership? What are the different prices for some different gyms?
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    How much is the average monthly gym membership? What are the different prices for some different gyms?

I would think that depends where you life.
  • San Diego
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    I pay 32, but that is with a hefty discount. In NM the average is 50ish.
  • I pay $64.00/month in Portland, OR. It is a small independent gym just for women with a very nice atmosphere and environment.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    $62.00 per month for a single-person membership in western Washington at a big chain. It was $46.00 at Curves, and $56.00 at an independent gym - with far fewer benefits. 24-Hour Fitness was similarly priced at around $60.00, but not as convenient for me.

I visited several gyms when I decided to start. I had never been in a gym before, and I'm 53! I ended up at Gold's Gym - and I love it. There are so many things to do that are included with membership, that I'll never get bored. My gym has a womens' only area, or you can mix it up with the boys - as you wish. I go back and forth - depends on my whim of the moment. They have a pool, showers, hot tub, steamroom, sauna, spinning, yoga, nutrition info, aerobics, pilates, probably 100 Nautilus machines, free weights, 25-30 treadmills, 40 or 50 ellipticals & crosstrainers, 35-40 recumbent and regular stationary bikes (90% of the cardio machines are fitted with personal TVs hooked to cable TV, and the ability to bring your iPod and watch your own recorded shows if you prefer.)

Gyms are very accommodating when trying to win your business. Maybe do some research online or call gyms in your area and ask them about their facilities. They will offer you a free tour: and most will offer you a free week or a few visits at least. Don't be intimidated by visiting the gyms - there are huge differences and you should visit them and see which one fits your needs. Look at the fee as an investment in your health, and a way to avoid future doctor bills.

Some employers have flex-health plans, too. Check with your human resources department at work and see if they offer any assistance for gym memberships or a few sessions with a gym trainer to get you started.

Think of all the money you are saving by not eating out, and not buying lattes, or beer or pizza, or....pick your poison!

Good luck!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Wow - mine's only $36 per month for a women's gym with classes and a pool. The cardio equipment doesn't have t.v.s though - like I've seen at some gyms. I paid for a year in advance so I didn't pay a start up fee and they don't have my credit card number (to continue to deduct - they have to contact me to get me to renew) Consumer Reports just came out with gym ratings - and I would strongly suggest you find the article before buying. I've heard Gold's can be as cheap as $25/month (with the disadvantage of being a mad house at 5:30pm) and places like Lifetime fitness (which even have rock climbing) nearing $100 a month.
    Find one that is close to your work or home - this is the most important feature!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Our hospital has a gym and that is where I go. Regular membership is 51.00 a month per adult. I happened to teach the membership manager's daughter for two years so he gave me the hospital discount, which is 40.00. I add my kids for 23.00 a month. They have a gym for school age kids where they have a climbing wall and lots of other fun stuff to get kids moving rather than sitting on the duffs! It is a great facility. They give you fresh fruit when you leave and have a big thing of ice cold lemon water at the smoothie bar. I would pay the 51.00, but am glad I don't have to!