Lose weight and gain muscle?

Options
I've lost 17 pounds so far weighing in at 177pounds at 5'5 meaning I've still got 32 pounds to go.

I'm looking to build my bum and tone my thighs&legs.

I've started cardio 5 times a week and the 30 day squat challenge (just as a beginner thing, I hate exercising)

What do you reccomend for my diet and exercise?

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely you will gain muscle while eating at a deficit. But strength/resistance training will help you keep more lean muscle as you lose weight.

To keep more lean muscle add strength/resistance training, treat protein goals as a minimum and keep your deficit moderate.

Squats are great for lower body. Body weight exercises are okay in the beginning too. But look for something more rounded.

Google - Your Are Your Own Gym.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight excerscises right after cardio (controlled Fatigue) wont build up muscle but will get you leaner & tighter & better toned up
  • hiyaitschloe_x
    hiyaitschloe_x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm doing cardio in the morning and body weight at night. Wait maybe I'm confused - I thought building muscle was toning? I want to tone and get better shape.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Being toned happens when you eat at a deficit and loose body fat and then the muscle your body has shows.

So what exactly shape wise do you want? Lean, Slim, Muscular? All things require different styles of work.
  • hiyaitschloe_x
    Options
    Right okay thanks for the insight. I want to be lean, look very fit, round bum with very toned thighs where you can see the muscle.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try weight lifting & strength exercises - particularly compound movements that use your major muscle groups- squats, lunges, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, pull ups, etc. For looking fit and lean, seeing muscle, and getting a round booty you're going to want to focus more on strength exercises - both with just body weight and also with extra weight like dumbbells and barbells and cables- and do less cardio. Cardio is good for increasing your caloric deficit for weight loss but not that great for building muscle or even for maintaining the muscle you have. Make sure you get enough protein daily!!! You may need to adjust your macros too. Look up "how to calculate your macros" or check out the IIFYM website. (Fyi if you manually adjust macros using calculators outside of myfitnesspal those usually include exercise and activity in the calculations so you aren't going to want to eat back exercise calories or maybe just don't bother logging exercise into myfitnesspal at all so you don't get confused and accidentally over eat).
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Check out these Instagrams:

Buffbunny (Heidi Somers)
    Leanmachine21 (Sami B.)
    Faithlfit (faith leatherman)
    Jessicaarevalo_ (Jessica Arevalo)

I assume this is the type of physique you're looking to get from your description? Most of them have YouTube channels too. All are body builders, not cardio bunnies :wink:

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ditch the squat challenge and get a barbell on your back. Stay in a deficit. Lose fat, save muscle by weight training, reveal it when the fat is gone.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Ditch the squat challenge and get a barbell on your back. Stay in a deficit. Lose fat, save muscle by weight training, reveal it when the fat is gone.

This! Although make sure you have excellent squat form before you start adding weight (to prevent injury)
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

This! Although make sure you have excellent squat form before you start adding weight (to prevent injury)

This too. Pay a trainer for a few sessions. Best investment of my life.
  • calliteer
    calliteer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So basically if I am trying to lose belly fat I need small portions lots of protein and lots of cardio?
  • bbell1985
    Options
    calliteer wrote: »
    So basically if I am trying to lose belly fat I need small portions lots of protein and lots of cardio?

No.

Basically you need a calorie deficit. Cardio, maybe. But not lots, and even none at all.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options

Nope, you can't spot reduce. If you want to loose belly you eat at a deficit until you body decides it wants to loose the fat stored there.
  • calliteer
    Options
    What is a calorie deficit? Like my fitness pal gives me 1700 calories a day so I just try to stay under that?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

No....

You need the RIGHT amount of calories (less than TDEE, but more than BMR) a mild caloric deficit (between 250 and 500 calories less than maintenance/TDEE) is best for fat loss. Your portions can be whatever you want as long as you're eating the right amount of calories each day.

You need the RIGHT amount of protein- 0.6 to 1 gram per pound of lean body weight (total body weight minus fat) is usually recommended, depending on how active you are and if you lift weights.

You don't need "lots" of cardio. You might want to do some, but not lots. I'd suggest maybe 20-30 minutes of hiit (high intensity interval training) cardio 2 to 3 times per week.

You should do some STRENGTH TRAINING to preserve muscle and so your body will be more likely to use stored body fat for energy rather than muscle (lose body fat, keep muscle). Maybe 1 hour 3 times per week? Or 30 to 45 minutes 5 times a week... whatever works best for you and your schedule.

You can't spot reduce belly fat. You just need to reduce overall body fat percentage until it comes off your belly.
  • hiyaitschloe_x
    Options
    This was so helpful thankyou everyone. I can't afford to start the gym right now so it'll have to be bodyweight for a while but I will up my protein. @courtneyfabulous those girls definitely have the kind of body I am looking for!
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Awesome!

Maybe you could get a few dumbbells for working out at home- that's what I did at first. And check out Fitnessblender on YouTube- they have all kinds of at home workouts including home weight lifting routines and bodyweight strength exercises and hiit... all for free!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is a calorie deficit? Like my fitness pal gives me 1700 calories a day so I just try to stay under that?

If you told MFP you wanted to lose weight, then 1700 calories (before exercise) includes your deficit.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Try to eat around 1700 if that's what myfitnesspal gave you. They calculate your deficit for you when you put in your stats and goals. You don't need to eat less than 1700.

Look up TDEE and BMR and CICO. It's good information to be aware of.
  • calliteer
    Options
    Thank you so much. This is so helpful.