New to all of this

Options
My name is Gary and I have just joined this tracker to see how I do. I accepted a challenge from the local community in Crawfordsville, IN with 13 other people to see who could lose the most weight in the next 13 weeks, by March 18th. I have very rarely ever exercised or watched my food intake like I am going to have to do for this Challenge. This Challenge '17 is sponsored by the local newspaper, the hospital and a fitness club. I am really looking forward to this to see how much I can lose. I'm 63 yrs old and weigh 335 lbs! I have a 1 1/2 yr old grandson that I want to play with but just do not have the energy. I've been on blood pressure meds for almost 20 years and have never been able to get away from them. I'm hoping this challenge will help and I can be healthier for myself and my family.

Replies

• bookcase101
    bookcase101 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Gary, good luck with your challenge. It's always easier losing weight and exercising with the help of others. I've found this app very helpful and I'm sure you will too
  • nsgourley
    nsgourley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Gary, I have been using this ap since September 2016 and have lost 31 pounds so far. My key was to find the right amount of calories for daily intake and be consistent logging my food. Good luck with your journey!
  • beth_b_1983
    beth_b_1983 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Gary
    Good luck, you will do brilliant I'm sure :)
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's never too late to reclaim your health, so you are on the right track. Your journey is one that starts with getting your mind in the right place: a need to feel better, and understanding that improved health is the key motivation. You will need some tools: a kitchen scale to weigh foods and a scale to weigh yourself. We all tend to OVER-estimate our exercise and UNDER-estimate our food intake -- and that weight loss is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. Trust me, if you eat fresh fruit and vegetables and reduce your intake of processed food, you will FEEL BETTER very quickly and be able to gradually up your exercise goals. Best of luck to you!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Awesome motivator! Read the success stories here to learn how other members lost weight. Make small changes at first so you don't get overwhelmed. Log everything you put in your mouth no matter how small in calories! Walk walk walk! Good luck!