Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options

Replies

• JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

So a newbie will feel stronger, firmer, and might experience a noticeable increase in muscle size. It is understandable that they might feel confused when told "you can't build muscle in a deficit", even though that is mostly accurate.

So for someone trying to lose weight (ie fat) is there value in strength training while still in a deficit or should it wait until they are done?
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There is value in everything you do.

And it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle, but it takes alot of patience
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So a newbie will feel stronger, firmer, and might experience a noticeable increase in muscle size. It is understandable that they might feel confused when told "you can't build muscle in a deficit", even though that is mostly accurate.

So for someone trying to lose weight (ie fat) is there value in strength training while still in a deficit or should it wait until they are done?

Absolutely. It helps retain the muscle you have (which may be quite a bit -- we often put on muscle to carry around the extra fat that looks great when the fat is gone), it is good for you (and specifically your bones) in general, and you can build strength even without building muscle (which for me was actually more important, along with retaining what I had).
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Each time I have gone to a high school or college reunion I see people who continue to weigh the same but never work out, they just watch their calories and maybe have really good nutritionally based eating habits. But over time they continue to get to be smaller and smaller people, both men and women. So I can see how yes a pound is a pound but it's were those pounds end up that determine how strong we are. And strength becomes even more important the longer we all live.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Absolutely, you should be strength training from day 1. Resistance exercise has both direct (energy expenditure, improved fat oxidation), and indirect (muscle mass conservation) benefits for weight/fat loss.

To be honest, the "gains in muscle mass" is probably one of the least important benefits for newbies on a weight loss program.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are lifting weights or doing 'muscle strengthening' exercises, the assumption would be that you are building muscle.

I am 5'10" and 202, down from 213. I need to be around 185. So are you saying that my every other day upper body weight training is not building ANY muscle while I am losing weight?

I am not arguing or disagreeing, I am trying to get an answer.

To carry that logic a bit further, if I am wanting to look like I looked before, which is tone with muscle, your logic says that I can't build muscle until I start eating more then my maintain weight, or when I am NOT in a deficit. Sorry, that just does not compute. Maybe someone can elaborate more on how this really is the case.

Why is it that I am already feeling muscle and some is already showing up? Is it just an illusion?

You can get stronger, which is different than adding new muscle mass. As you lose fat, existing muscle will be revealed, which is different than adding new muscle mass. Congrats on the progress!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,782 Member
    Options
    Each time I have gone to a high school or college reunion I see people who continue to weigh the same but never work out, they just watch their calories and maybe have really good nutritionally based eating habits. But over time they continue to get to be smaller and smaller people, both men and women. So I can see how yes a pound is a pound but it's were those pounds end up that determine how strong we are. And strength becomes even more important the longer we all live.

Exactly. I don't want to be one of the elderly people who depend on a wheelchair or walker if I can help it.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    By the logic behind the argument that "muscle does not weigh more than fat because one pound of muscles weighs the same as one pound of fat," nothing weighs more than anything. An elephant doesn't weigh more than a mouse, because one pound of elephant weigh the same as one pound of mouse (or mice, I guess, unless we're talking about a rodent of unusual size). I don't weigh any more now than I did in high school, because one pound of me now weighs the same as one pound of me in high school. Yeah! I weigh the same as I did in high school! I guess I can stop watching my weight!

Not really. One lb of anything is one lb. One lb of muscle is one lb. One lb of fat is one lb. One lb of elephant meat is one lb. A one lb mouse is one lb.

What is meant by 'muscle weighs more than fat' is that one lb of muscle takes up less space than one lb of fat (muscle is more dense). One lb of you now DOES weigh the same as one lb of you did in high school (assuming you keep the composition of whatever part we cut off the same). There are more TOTAL lbs of you now, so you are bigger now (presumably). But a lb is still a lb (unless the gravitational pull of the earth changed?).

An elephant is heavier than a mouse, not because one lb of elephant is heavier than one lb of mouse (that makes no logical sense). An elephant is heavier than a mouse because elephants are far bigger than mice. I don't know what their relative densities are though, so I don't know which would take up less volume, a lb of mouse or a lb of elephant... I'd guess the mouse, they seem like they'd be leaner, but I could be wrong :D

You can easily see the difference between weight and density at the grocery store. Go grab a 5 lb sack of flour. Then go into produce and grab a 5 lb sack of potatoes. Are they the same size? No. They weigh the same, but they are not the same size. Why? Density. Flour doesn't weigh less than potatoes, but it is more dense, so it takes up less space, at any given weight.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. For equivalent volumes of muscle and fat, the muscle weighs more. For equivalent weights of muscle and fat, the muscle has a lower volume.
    Muscle is what you like to have. Get some.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If you get one same size portion of each you will find that while they are the same in volume the muscle weighs more. This is what people mean. Of course no one wants to give the extensive label a go every time they say, "if you have equal portions of muscle and fat the muscle will weigh more." So it has been shortened to, "Muscle weighs more than fat." This argument is as old as time. I can't believe it is still popping up.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    But at the same time a lot of people who get that "oh don't worry you're probably building muscle" line aren't actually doing anything that would build muscle. It's hard to build muscle in a deficit. Most of them in truth are just gaining more fat.

But yes, if you truly are gaining the muscle you'll be a lot smaller than if you weigh the same but it's fat. I have a weight goal for if I just lose weight but a higher goal for if I decide to actually bust my *kitten* in the gym and actually get fit and get some muscle.

if they are in a deficit they arent gaining fat either.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

lots of benefits to weight training while you are losing weight.for me Im a smaller size in clothing(sz 6-8 us) even though I weigh almost 30lbs more(at 140lbs I was a sz 10).. it changes your body,at least it has mine.
This discussion has been closed.