Lose weight and gain muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what results in weight loss.

The body uses a certain amount of calories just to exist (before activity and exercise) this is called BMR (basal metabolic rate). For example mine is 1320 calories.

Then you perform activities all day long- walking, thinking, driving, chores, etc. and you also perform exercise. This burns additional calories and the total calories you burn per day is your TDEE (total daily estimated expenditure). This is also considered your "maintenance" calories because if you eat exactly as many calories as you burn you will stay the same weight. For example my TDEE is 1830 calories.

A calorie deficit is when you eat fewer calories than your TDEE - the amount less is your deficit. I chose a calorie deficit of 300 calories so I set my daily calorie goal for 1530 calories (1830 - 300 = 1530).

You'll notice my daily calorie goal is higher than my BMR- this is good because if you consume less than your BMR there can be some negative side effects.

Having a calorie deficit means you will lose weight because the body is not getting calories from food to use, so it uses stored energy from your body to make up the difference (it pulls energy/calories from your stored body fat and muscle).

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Calorie surplus = weight gain
    Maintenance calories = stay the same weight

Also the amount of calorie deficit you have determines the rate at which you will lose weight. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so if you consume 3500 less calories per week this means you will lose approximately 1 pound. 3500 calories divided by 7 days in a week is a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day.
    My calorie deficit of 300 calories per day should result in a weight loss rate of 0.6 pounds per week.

This calculation is somewhat imperfect because you lose both fat and muscle and water when "weight" is lost, but it's a good way to estimate.

Hope this is helpful?
    Luckily myfitnesspal does most of the work for you, but I find it useful to know the why's and how's of how it all works.
  • hiyaitschloe_x
    hiyaitschloe_x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'm going to look into all of that right now.
  • hiyaitschloe_x
    hiyaitschloe_x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm being stupid - can I keep my 30 minutes of cardio in the morning (just to burn the extra calories) and do the fitnessblender and achieve the same results? Or does the cardio need to be dropped completely (please remember I am overweight, thanks)
  • courtneyfabulous
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You can keep the cardio. 30 mins a day should be fine :smile:
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    You just don't want to do tons of cardio and no strength. Some people will do hours on the treadmill (and nothing else) and then wonder why they aren't getting buff and feel starving all the time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options

The body uses a certain amount of calories just to exist (before activity and exercise) this is called BMR (basal metabolic rate). For example mine is 1320 calories.

Then you perform activities all day long- walking, thinking, driving, chores, etc. and you also perform exercise. This burns additional calories and the total calories you burn per day is your TDEE (total daily estimated expenditure). This is also considered your "maintenance" calories because if you eat exactly as many calories as you burn you will stay the same weight. For example my TDEE is 1830 calories.

A calorie deficit is when you eat fewer calories than your TDEE - the amount less is your deficit. I chose a calorie deficit of 300 calories so I set my daily calorie goal for 1530 calories (1830 - 300 = 1530).

You'll notice my daily calorie goal is higher than my BMR- this is good because if you consume less than your BMR there can be some negative side effects.

Having a calorie deficit means you will lose weight because the body is not getting calories from food to use, so it uses stored energy from your body to make up the difference (it pulls energy/calories from your stored body fat and muscle).

Also the amount of calorie deficit you have determines the rate at which you will lose weight. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so if you consume 3500 less calories per week this means you will lose approximately 1 pound. 3500 calories divided by 7 days in a week is a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day.
    My calorie deficit of 300 calories per day should result in a weight loss rate of 0.6 pounds per week.

This calculation is somewhat imperfect because you lose both fat and muscle and water when "weight" is lost, but it's a good way to estimate.

Hope this is helpful?
    Luckily myfitnesspal does most of the work for you, but I find it useful to know the why's and how's of how it all works.

Just to clarify.

MFP uses a NEAT formula for calculating ones deficit. This does not include ones exercise, just ones BMR and daily activity ( inc food digestion etc). MFP expects one to eat back exercise calories.

Unfortunately most calculators used for calories burnt through exercise, including MFP, are only estimates based on population averages.

To get a more accurate calorie burn estimate it is best to eat back anywhere between 50-100% (a constant percentage) of ones exercise calories and then compare ones actual losses against the amount one is expecting to lose as per ones input in MFP.
    Adjusting ones exercise calorie percentage up or down to meet ones weekly loss goal may be needed.

TDEE- one can use an off site calculator to get a calorie goal that includes exercise then input the number, minus the deficit one wishes, into MFP. Again this is an estimate and may need adjusting.

Using a TDEE calculator is good if one is very consistent in their exercise routine.

Using MFP's NEAT is good to use if one doesn't exercise consistently.

NEAT= Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis.

TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Cheers, h.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options

Hope this is helpful?

Just to clarify.

MFP uses a NEAT formula for calculating ones deficit. This does not include ones exercise, just ones BMR and daily activity ( inc food digestion etc). MFP expects one to eat back exercise calories.

Unfortunately most calculators used for calories burnt through exercise, including MFP, are only estimates based on population averages.

To get a more accurate calorie burn estimate it is best to eat back anywhere between 50-100% (a constant percentage) of ones exercise calories and then compare ones actual losses against the amount one is expecting to lose as per ones input in MFP.
    Adjusting ones exercise calorie percentage up or down to meet ones weekly loss goal may be needed.

TDEE- one can use an off site calculator to get a calorie goal that includes exercise then input the number, minus the deficit one wishes, into MFP. Again this is an estimate and may need adjusting.

Using a TDEE calculator is good if one is very consistent in their exercise routine.

Using MFP's NEAT is good to use if one doesn't exercise consistently.

NEAT= Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis.

TDEE= Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Cheers, h.

Yes thank you.

I exercise regularly and prefer to have consistent macros and not have to estimate my calorie burn every time so that's why I prefer the TDEE method.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'm doing cardio in the morning and body weight at night. Wait maybe I'm confused - I thought building muscle was toning? I want to tone and get better shape.
    "Toning" is a made up word by the fitness industry. When you build muscle, you just build muscle.
    There's a lot of misconceptions on building muscle. Many say it's easy and that they are gaining TONS of muscle after a few lifting sessions. And that's not usually the case. One can firm up their muscles and retain lean muscle while trying to lose weight, but it's highly unlikely they are building any significant muscle while trying to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png