Looking for Substitutes for Sweets

Options
2»

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    jennice23 wrote: »
    I would recommend a grapefruit. Not the red one. If eaten at night after a good workout it's will burn some fat off. But u must get a big one. Cut it in half. And use a grapefruit spoon to eat it so u don't eat the skin where it's bitter.

How does grapefruit eaten at nighttime after a good workout burn some fat off? Is it the good workout or the grapefruit that burns the fat off?

It doesn't. It's a myth. You do burn calories generally a bit more for about an hour-hour and half after a workout but it doesn't matter what you eat.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I stop eating so much sweet food, I stop craving it as much. However, here are a few of my favorite sweet snacks.

Light Cool Whip mixed with PB2 Powder (its like a PB Mousse)
    Dark Chocolate with Chili (Aldi's Moser Roth Bars are the perfect size)
    Hot Tea with Stevia or Splenda (some teas, such as chai or raspberry herbal tea, are naturally sweet as well)
  • BiomedDent
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I've noticed that when I stop eating so much sweet food, I stop craving it as much. However, here are a few of my favorite sweet snacks.

Light Cool Whip mixed with PB2 Powder (its like a PB Mousse)
    Dark Chocolate with Chili (Aldi's Moser Roth Bars are the perfect size)
    Hot Tea with Stevia or Splenda (some teas, such as chai or raspberry herbal tea, are naturally sweet as well)

Second the teas. Lemon and ginger with stevia tastes like a Sherbert lemons :)
  • aubreymneff
    aubreymneff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was doing the Whole 30, I discovered Dried Mango (no added sugar!!! ... I got it at Sprouts, Target and Trader Joes). It is very sweet, packed with vitamins and you can keep a bag stashed in your purse for those must have cravings. It is like eating a fruit roll up or bag of fruit snacks but healthy. Mmmm!
  • rvamntneer
    rvamntneer Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am also guilty of having a crazy sweet tooth. I absolutely LOVE baked goods and it's really hard for me to turn down cookies, pie, muffins, etc.

You have to find what works for you personally, but my nutritionist advised me you can pretty much be a person who has to go cold turkey, or you can be a person who sets rules for moderation. I am a cold turkey person--I just can't have sweets period. It sucks, but I know that it's the only way I will stick to my plan.

If you can do moderation, give yourself a day where you can allow yourself to have a treat. Let's say you tell yourself, "I can have one chocolate treat on Fridays" then you can look forward to that throughout the week and if you get a craving, just remind yourself that you will get what you want on Friday.

I personally think substitutions don't get to the root of a sugar addiction problem, it seems more like a band-aid to me. But if it gets really bad, what I normally do is make a cup of chai tea. It's got the sweet spices in there that gives a flavor of sweetness without any sugar.

Good luck!
  • Andrea2868
    Andrea2868 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make energy balls. These are with healthy ingredients like while rolled oats peanut butter chia seeds or flax honey and a few chocolate chips. About 80 calories each. Found tons of recipes on pintrest and it fixed my sweet tooth!

• nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Protein powder sugar free chocolate chips dates dried apricots
  • tiamariaiscool
    tiamariaiscool Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jtintx wrote: »
    becky10rp wrote: »
    I don't know if this will help you - but I freeze grapes (red or green - doesn't matter) - and eat them as a snack after dinner. You get the sweetness - but not the guilt - as you're eating fruit.

Why do you freeze them?
    When they're frozen it makes them crunchy and taste more like Candy

• Sigurjonsig
    Sigurjonsig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have 70% dark chocolate in the fridge. I like having 1 piece with my morning coffee, if I want something like that. I usually put half of teaspoon of cocos oil in my coffee. Eating healthy fats reduce cravings for sugar. So have cocos oil or nuts in your arsenal. Try cut some avocado in your dinner.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have had good luck in my baked goods by replacing white sugar with Stevia, brown sugar with the Splenda Blend, oils with apple sauce or bananas.

I make a pumpkin muffin and an oatmeal/peanut butter muffin that is really good.

If a recipe calls for peanut butter I sometimes will replace part of it with PB2 to help reduce the calories. I can eat 2 muffins for around 300 calories.

I just take regular recipes and start replacing things. The only ones that I didn't like at all were the low carb muffins made with coconut flour...they were edible...but barely.

I do my cookies the same way...just start replacing stuff. I even used the Stevia in my mini cheesecakes.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is what I based my Zucchini/Pumpkin muffins off of.

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/10/pumpkin-zucchini-bread.html

I replaced the white sugar with Stevia...the brown sugar with Splenda Blend brown sugar and the oil I replace with applesauce and banana or plain fat free greek yogurt. I left out the walnuts. We love them at my house.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bake only with sweetener and with a low-calorie margarine. It keeps costs low and it's much lighter in calories. When looking for a recipe online, look for simple recipes and use your judgement. Can something heavy be supplemented for something lighter? I have had excellent results with cakes, brownies and suet puddings. Good luck!
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am a massive fan of erythritol. It's a natural sweetener with about 70% of the sweetness of sugar, and only 1 calorie per teaspoon. It doesn't have the weird aftertaste that stevia does either. You can buy it in bulk from specialty stores.

I also am a huge fan of this blog here: thebigmansworld.com/
    He's got lots of low-carb, high protein recipes, with gluten free, paleo and vegan options. His brownies are delightful.
  • BiomedDent
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I replaced the white sugar with Stevia...the brown sugar with Splenda Blend brown sugar and the oil I replace with applesauce and banana or plain fat free greek yogurt. I left out the walnuts. We love them at my house.

In the U.K. We don't have access to pumpkins or canned pumpkin all year round (usually only during Halloween-it's not a popular vegetable here) do you think butternut squash would be an okay substitute or just using more zucchini?

Thanks
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »

In the U.K. We don't have access to pumpkins or canned pumpkin all year round (usually only during Halloween-it's not a popular vegetable here) do you think butternut squash would be an okay substitute or just using more zucchini?

Thanks

I actually prefer using butternut squash to pumpkin - I find it a bit sweeter. :)
  • liliumu
    liliumu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Raisin tastes nice! Or maybe make those banana oatmeal cookies (with basically only two ingredients, banana and oatmeal, adding chocolate chips or raisins is optional)
  • bigizzy
    bigizzy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Dates...
    Bites them,fill with peanut butter.
    Taste just like a snickers.
    Ha.
  • CurryStirry
    CurryStirry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet treat right now is a 1/4 cup of Vanilla Triple Zero Dannon Oikos yogurt and 4 or five sliced strawberries and if I need crunch I add a tablespoon of Grape Nuts. Lemon Meringue Crisp Chobani Simply 100 is also really good and you get sweet, sour, creamy and crunchy all in one treat.
  • itsmegina
    itsmegina Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Yonanas mixer type thing ($29 at Costco). You put frozen fruit in it, with frozen bananas and it churns it out in a soft serve style dessert. I've only tried a couple of their recipes and am still trying to decide whether I need yet one more kitchen appliance, but it kind of approximates the consistency of soft frozen yogurt and the bananas make it plenty sweet and my kids like what we've made. I can see this being a really nice treat in the summer.
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothie bowls or "nice cream" ice cream bowls. I need to get in the habit of doing this again.
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/vegan-what-i-eat-in-a-day-mexican-feast-6/
    90uab5vjajct.jpg