Living with pain.

Options
I am a worker's compensations experiment. They have denied all of my treatments for the last 3 years, and as I have tried to get help for my injuries elsewhere I was denied because it is the insurance companies responsibilities. So needless to say I am stuck until court..(when ever that will be)

In the mean time I live with pain. Multiple soft tissue damage throughout my body from neck -to- toe. Literally, I have cramping in my neck, and as a 30 year old I already have varicose veins in my right ankle. My wife says I am a complete mess with the body of a 70 year old. I feel bad because I have been instructed by the doctor to gain weight (In a healthy way) to combat my low blood pressure, and fatigue. So far it has been hard. I am exhausted, and constantly on hydrocodone, and methocabonol...which I have already adapted to by the way, and I don't feel like I have much of a purpose lately.

My question is, is there others that feel the same as me, who go through the same struggles of simply walking, sitting or sleeping in complete pain. Simple tasks like the dishes, or changing the babies diapers feel like a marathon. My wife is healthy, and feels bad because she cannot feel my pain to understand what I go through. And I can understand & respect that. It is getting harder and harder to function, is there any tips that can help me cope with the pain and depression?

Replies

• JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    maybe meditation for the depression? If you don't want to see some sort of counselor for it. I went to this workshop a year ago and meditation if you're into/interested in it can help with various things like that (depression). Maybe worth looking into alternatives like that for the time being.
  • littlemount
    littlemount Posts: 223
    Options
    A truly good book without meds is depression cure maybe you should look into it.
  • Purple_Lurple
    Purple_Lurple Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wish I could suggest something that would make it better, but I can say that you're not alone. I'm 25 and have lived with "gout related" arthritis, endometriosis, IBS and various other things that leave me in constant pain and unable to walk more than a few paces some days for nearly 10 years. I've been told it's likely I'll be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 50.
    I don't know what to suggest to make things better, but maybe you can take some comfort in the thought that at least you are still here, still able to move on some days, and that you have a loving wife who cares for you.
    I know I keep going because, although it sounds cliché, "it could be worse", and I'm going to make damn sure I make the most out of each day I have, because I'm thankful for this things I do have.

I hope you find a solution that works for you soon.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i am sorry you are going thru this and that your insurance is not covering, i have been having issues with my back for a couple years, i had 2 herniated disks, failed surgery. now my foot as well i have a heel spur which is quite painful. i have had a rouhg 2+ years and i gained alot of weight now just trying to lose it but it is kinda hard when i am limited on what i can do... i was pushing myself to walk but i am not allowed now,.... i had 3 injections in foot~ did not work~ also had cryotherapy done~~~ hasnt worked yet... i was trying ot avoid surgery but looks like my last option.,.. i already told my dr. that i am that one in a million patient that has a complication or doesnt work on... i semi can understand.. in pain everyday from various things, but my deppression is being treated and that helped but i also had very low vitamin d which causes more depression . been a rough couple years but i have to keep waking up in the morning... add me if you would like,,
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    wow..what a moving and heart rending story...chronic pain is only really understood by people who suffer from it.

I have cervical spondyolosis, which is the disintegration of the discs in the neck and results in the compression of the spinal cord, leading to unrelenting pain and severe pins and needles. My family doctor is utterly clueless how to treat this and as a result, I spent 3 months popping one morphine type derivative after another, and the nasty side effects that came along.

As a result, my weight ballooned to 230 lbs and when I asked my doctor about diet and exercise, it was like asking someone from the stone age to land a Blackhawk helicopter.

In the end, I had enough of the associated depression and the way my body had gotten used to and resistant to pain killers and the lack of basic healthcare here in England, and took matters into my own hands. I decided to tackle the weight loss first and started on non-weight bearing exercises and just went for it. Pain can be a very psychological condition, too..I try and not to think about it even though I couldn't perform basic things that I once did without a second thought. As a result of my weight loss, my depression gradually lifted, I went back to work and now continue to exercise by walking/running, anything cardio and the pain has dramatically diminished. I wish I could swim, as swimming is a very versatile exercise regime.

There are support groups for pain, and people handle it differently. I really hope you can find a support network to mentor/support you and you too could be a valuable mentor to others. you arn't alone, and you must explore as many treatments as possible to make it better.

I hope you get the support you need from your family, please speak to a doctor that has an interest in acute pain and ask for support groups you can join etc.

You are not alone!

Good luck and stay strong..you can do this.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My oh had a severe car accident a year and a half ago now, he also developed a heart condition. For the first year he was on sleeping tablets and pain killers. Even then the pain has never gone. He broke his neck and shattered his right arm. He had various other injuries but they are the ones that still affect him even now. The arm was cut open from his shoulder to his elbow ad the surgeons had to cut through his muscles and nerves to put plates round his bones. They've said that he could be in pain with that for the rest of his life. Thankfully his neck was able to be repaired and he is able to walk fine. The doctor changed his pain killers after a year to ones that not only didn't work but gave some horrendous side effects so he stopped taking them. He still takes the sleeping tablets. He is plodding on through the pain now. There are still some tasks around the house which he can't do. Things like hoovering, mashing potato, anything requiring him to put pressure on his right arm.

He has suffered awful depression but seems to be on the mend now. I'd reccomend you keep your wife in the loop with how you are feeling. My oh kept on bottling it up till we'd end up with a massive row before he finally told me how he was feeling. Getting out of the house really helped him. Even if it was just a walk down the road, taking the kids to school, even coming to the shops with me. I would seriously reccomend talking to someone like a counsellor though.
  • derrickr333
    Options
    I really appreciate all the support from everyone. It does get hard when you feel alone with your problems. My wife does understand, but she feels helpless at the same time. Feel free to add me if you need the same support, It will be great to have some people to talk to, and get better physically, & mentally. Again thank all of you, message me if you need help in return.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    I'm sorry nothing is working honey and it kills me to see you in pain every day from wake up to your tossing and turning nights. We've tried the antidepressants & anti-anxiety meds, they put him in a zombie like state, not good with 3 kids 7 and under. We read books everyday. But talk therapy does sound like a good idea and I'll research what our personal insurance covers. Thanks for responding everyone. Love you Derrick, chin up babe. Smile.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    does your insurance cover aquatic therapy? i do alot of exercises in my pool. but i was sent for aquatic therapy for my back after my last pain injection in my spine.it helped strengthen core.. im glad you have a supportive wife... im glad i got a good man as well... it was really bad at first when my back would spasm oh my... wouldnt wish that in my worst enemy. sent a friend request to you and sending on to your lovely supportive wife....

lori