Exercise Fatigue

Options
Hey Fitness family, I really need some advice, few weeks back i started with heavy dumbbells and increased my workout time using them, but last Sunday, i suddenly started feeling very very weak and now i have not worked out for 5 days :(. On Wednesday i felt so weak that even a slow walk of half an hour had made me feel extremely weak. Till last week, i could have walked for 90 minutes (slow pace) easily and high pace, for an hour. My legs are somehow feeling very very tired. Please give me your suggestions, I want to come out of it asap. Missing my exercise sessions and after 16 months i was finally able to come out of Plateau, now dont want to be on plateau again !!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you had a check up with your doctor lately? You should get one just to be safe. Hope you feel better soon.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to fuel this exercise?

Is it DOMS?

Are you able to ease back in to the routine? Maybe you went too hard too fast.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Nutrition and rest assessment would be your first checks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    sounds like one of two things.... one over training, or two, not eating enough to fuel your increase. This of course barring its not a medical problem.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    iamgunz wrote: »
    Hey Fitness family, I really need some advice, few weeks back i started with heavy dumbbells and increased my workout time using them, but last Sunday, i suddenly started feeling very very weak and now i have not worked out for 5 days

How often were you training? What was the routine? And what was the intensity and volume?

It sounds as though you simply overdid something(s). But, without knowing exactly what your routine was, it's hard to say for sure.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you had a check up with your doctor lately? You should get one just to be safe. Hope you feel better soon.
    Are you eating enough to fuel this exercise?

Seconding both of these questions/suggestions.

Also, are you using the dumbbells for leg exercises (e.g., squats, lunges)? If not, there really wouldn't be any reason for them to have that much effect on your legs, and seeing a doctor/making sure you're eating enough sound like even better ideas.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Beyond a checkup with your doctor, one suggestion I might also make is to make sure your electrolytes are in balance. When I workout and sweat a lot, my potassium sometimes gets off, which makes my muscles feel weaker. Sports drinks can help. Also, if you are taking any medicines, check the side effects (especially if they are new). I quit taking one of my anti-depressants because the side effect was muscle weakness and I could SOOO tell. I could barely get through one of my easy workouts.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Do you have the flu? Some times that's the only way it presents itself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that for one, you're likely underfeeding your training...and two, if you're training with weights everyday, that's too much...you should stick with either a full body program 3x per week or do a proper split.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nutrition and rest assessment would be your first checks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This and phone your doctor's office and ask if they think you need to be seen. Sudden onset fatigue can be a symptom of the flu as someone else suggested or something more serious. A test for anemia wouldn't be out of order if this continues for more than a week or two.
  • iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton to everyone for their wonderful inputs.
    I am sure now of few things, I overdid my workouts, I should not have done them 4-5 times a week :(. I was wrong.

I was on less of carbs and for sure my protein was not at all in the right quantity of what it should have been and considering I was overdoing my exercise, I should have eaten accordingly. I was using dumbbells for squats and lunges, and keeping the heavy one's on my thighs while doing standing cycle for a long time period.

Also, I am having bad throat and not a full blown flu, but symptoms are there right now.

Also , needed to get potassium , I am sure I missed my electrolytes.

I just had a proper medical examination done, so thankfully i am not Anemic.

I was so desperate to break the plateau that I overdid everything. I was so sick of trying again and again to break the plateau that my motivation was getting hit. This time around I wanted it to work and that too badly and i got myself in a bad situation. My faults , but a sincere thank you to everyone for their inputs, you guys rock and really opened my eyes.I dont know how can i forget the basics but maybe i was too desperate to prove it to myself that I can break the plateau.

Happy new year and I dont know how but i need to figure out how to add you all in my friend list :wink: :)

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat enough carbs to fuel your activity. Glad to see you're not anemic. Vitamin D deficiency presents similar symptoms for some of muscle weakness, fatigue. Also, b vitamins. Hopefully you are feeling better.
  • emmalees99
    emmalees99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better! rt4ntzodrndw.jpg
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen with me with strength training. I had been pushing hard for months, without any real breaks, then collapsed into fatigue. Starting getting the flu, colds etc. This is probably the last thing you want to hear but I found taking a week off the heavy stuff, and just doing light lifting and cardio, allowed me to recover fully. After the rest, and full muscle recovery, I gained strength. What I learned is that you can't gain strength if you don't allow recovery time. Now, I'm incorporating a light week of workouts every fourth week, to allow this recovery. I had read about it on the Texas Method weight lifting program, and I think it's a good idea.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    @emmalees99 , na, its just Chroans.....
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Do you have the flu? Some times that's the only way it presents itself.

I second this. Sometimes I show no signs of flu or a cold except that I suddenly can't do my normal hour of yoga. Then a few days later It gets obvious that I've been incubating something for a while.

Make sure you're getting enough rest, and good rest. I sometimes take magnesium to help sleep deep. If it continues, see a doctor.
  • iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry, I am replying late but all your advice/inputs are right.

@TanyaHooton , I did actually had flu.

@Sandera2 , I am glad you gave reply as I felt there are others who have faced the same thing and there is a way out.

Thanks @charlenekapf and @emmalees99 and Johnny :)