Going mostly raw, all natural, non processed Vegan. Friends?

Options
So, lately I have just felt my body craving more fruits and veggies... which I normally eat a ton of anyway. Started looking into the raw food diet and its just a little too on the extreme end for me, although I do like the concept and will be incorporating that into my diet hopefully 50-70 percent of the time. But I have always had an issue with eating dairy, knowing that its milk from another animal and really, it just wasn't meant for us. Then started looking into it and realized, man when first created was made to eat fruits and veggies in the garden (we didn't start eating meat until after the flood) Which is more interesting to me than anything. Im sure I will not be 100% vegan all the time.... When I go out or what not I may have a piece of fish here and there, or the occasional ice cream. (very occasional) but I really just want to try this, I can feel my body telling me that this is what it wants/ needs.. Real food, all of the time. I was just eating too heavy (even though it was mostly natural and healthy for most standards earlier).

So with that said, Im just looking for anyone else on here that would like to maybe help me out. I work out alot and my biggest concern is getting enough protein obviously. I will be buying hemp protein powder, lots of beans, quinoa, and some edamame. Also seeds and nuts but these worry me b/c of the fat content. So any help there would be appreciated. Also looking for easy raw recipies (ones that dont include sprouting or a ton of soaking/ dehydrating etc.... thats all a little intense for me, just raw food put together, mixed with a magic bullet etc.... looking forward to hearing :) )

So yeah, if your interested in joining along please let me know, gonna try it out for a couple of weeks anyway and see how it goes, Im guessing I wil feel tons better (but we will see)

Hope to hear from you! Thanks and blessings!

Tanisha Rae

Edit: I also forgot to say, Im going as unprocessed as possible there are a few exceptions Im allowing myself often (ezekiel bread, hemp powder, tomato sauce, grains (millet, quinoa, oats)... def. staying away from any "packaged foods other than that really though- including soy.. I just want to be eating real food, not something thats gone through a factory)

Replies

• laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to live. I wish you luck, as I know it might be difficult at times (when you visit others, or are out and about). Your body will love you for it.

*I personally do not eat a diet this extreme, but realize the commitment that you are making and admire your efforts.
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    Options
    We didn't start eating meat until after the flood... wtf?
  • Maryvel_chan
    Options
    LOL xD
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    She means the flood in the Bible. It's the story of Moses and his Ark. In the garden, Adam and Eve were stewards of the animals. In my opinion, the reason they didn't eat them was because they had no hunger...no animals ate each other. But it is open to interpretation. :smile:
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am also starting to feel the way you are. I am still in the stages of trying to cut out all meat from my diet. Right now I am trying not eating any meat at home, its the one or two times I go out a week that I end up eating out. But I am trying to incorporate as much raw veggies as possible to my diet. I recently heard of a book called Eat to Live than I want to read, it is supposed to tout the benefits of cutting out animal products and eating more raw foods. anyway, I have made a couple of raw recipes from this site: http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/no-cook-recipes?mag=/raw. In particular the Zucchini Pasta is delicious.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman (lots of bean recipes) and also Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People by Jennifer Cornbleet. very easy raw recipes.

I have experience with raw/living vegan diet.. not eating that way now, but incorporating more into my diet. Feel free to friend me and ask any questions.

I encourage folks to make a gentle transition by adding more raw or vegan food into your diet instead of just waking up one day and focusing on excluding stuff from your diet without a plan for how to get your nutrients.

good luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Also...while you do need to monitor protein intake, you need to make sure you're getting complete proteins through food combination. Veggies do not contain all the essential amino acids, so you will consistently need to pair grains with legumes. Also, you'll need B12 supplementation as you can't get this essential vitamin from plant sources, and being deficient can be fatal. Good luck, I do love veggies!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have made a couple of raw recipes from this site: http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/no-cook-recipes?mag=/raw. In particular the Zucchini Pasta is delicious.
    nice site, thanks!
  • abartle
    abartle Posts: 11
    Options
    I think this is a great idea! In fact, I have been eating only whole foods, nothing processed, for a little over a week now and I have lost 4 lbs!!! The first few days were rough trying to get through the caffeine withdrawal from giving up coffee, but I have to say now that that is through I do feel a lot better. I love the idea of eating only whole foods, items with ONE ingredient. This just seems like the proper way we should be eating.

I have not given up eating meat, but it is certainly not a staple to my daily diet. As I work out 5 to 6 days a week for about an hour a day, I was also concerned about getting enough protein in my diet, but I have found though that by including items such as quinoa, beans and almonds(one portion), I am hitting and some days exceeding my daily protein goal. To assist with this too I do utilize Protein Powder on some occasion. I realize protein powder is processed, but I have to allow myself some wiggle room on my NO processed diet :smile:

I am sorry to say that I cannot really help with recipes as I have just started living this way myself, but using my favorite website for recipes is allrecipes.com, I have been able to find some ideas for items like quinoa, kale and spinach. Give it a try!!!

Best of luck to ya on this change!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Also...while you do need to monitor protein intake, you need to make sure you're getting complete proteins through food combination. Veggies do not contain all the essential amino acids, so you will consistently need to pair grains with legumes. Also, you'll need B12 supplementation as you can't get this essential vitamin from plant sources, and being deficient can be fatal. Good luck, I do love veggies!

This info might be a bit outdated... you'll need to do your own research. I've read that you don't need to pair things in the same meal.

Also, PLEASE do not take B12 supplementation without being tested by your physician to determine if you are low or not. I was primarily a vegan for 15+ years and never had a B12 deficiency. I had started taking supplements at one point because I was I understoond that all vegans needed to take B12 and when I went to the doctor for my regular physical, they called me a couple of days later when the lab results were in and asked me if I was taking any supplements. I told them B12 and they told me to stop immediately - my numbers were dangerously too high. Ever since, I always get my B12 and Vitamin D checked at my annual physicals.

You can check out Brendan Brazier's story and his company's (Vega) products. He is a vegan athlete and I'm sure has lots to say about protein sources.

Also, Healthforce's Vitamineral Green can help supplement some trace minerals, etc. and they have interesting info about people taking this powder regularly who never develop B12 deficiency. I usually add a bit to my smoothies.

As you can see any raw/living diet or vegan/vegetarian diet needs to be researched, but it is worthwile to purusue. It is essential that you educate yourself and take care of getting the nutrients you need. There are a lot of junk food vegans and raw foodists and I don't think they are doing themselves any good. Find a local group (via meetup, or community message boards in local food co-ops, whole foods, etc.) for education and support.
  • racecate
    racecate Posts: 5
    Options
    hi there :) i find ani phyo's raw foods cookbook useful. you can also google her + recipes. she does use a dehydrator a lot, though. i'm gluten free and vegan and i find her wrap suggestions to be great for lunch- she uses collards for the wrap part.

i gradually made the switch from vegetarian to vegan, and have tended towards raw foods for a long time.

feel free to add me as a friend- i'd love to swap recommendations and suggestions with you!

have a great day!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of raw food sites and blogs on the internet. If you are going to do raw.... and make a serious legit attempt at it.... then you have to get all the toys. Dehydrator, blender, juicer, etc. Otherwise you will be at the mercy of others. And planning is key. The body clears raw food quickly and you will learn what a true hunger response feels like.

Give it a 30 day try and see how you do. There are a lot of wonderful results that can come from being 100% raw but there are just as many drawbacks. If you can do it, you will be amazed at how you will feel and how much it can change your life.

Good luck.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    About the eating meat after the flood-this is a very interesting topic. The reason that they didnt eat meat before the flood was because they didnt need to. The atmospheric pressure was a LOT higher as well as the oxygen levels. (Hence the giants and things like dinosaurs) Youtube Kent Hovind he does some cool studies on it. . After the flood our bodies had different needs and a different environment. Our bodies NEED proteins from animal sources. Yes it is possible to live on a vegan, low animal protein diet but its not ideal especially for athletes. I am a nutrition/exercise science major with a concentration on natural medicine. Food can heal the body in a dramatic way staying away from processed foods is great but I would suggest not straying from high quality protein sources.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

This info might be a bit outdated... you'll need to do your own research. I've read that you don't need to pair things in the same meal.

Also, PLEASE do not take B12 supplementation without being tested by your physician to determine if you are low or not. I was primarily a vegan for 15+ years and never had a B12 deficiency. I had started taking supplements at one point because I was I understoond that all vegans needed to take B12 and when I went to the doctor for my regular physical, they called me a couple of days later when the lab results were in and asked me if I was taking any supplements. I told them B12 and they told me to stop immediately - my numbers were dangerously too high. Ever since, I always get my B12 and Vitamin D checked at my annual physicals.

You can check out Brendan Brazier's story and his company's (Vega) products. He is a vegan athlete and I'm sure has lots to say about protein sources.

Also, Healthforce's Vitamineral Green can help supplement some trace minerals, etc. and they have interesting info about people taking this powder regularly who never develop B12 deficiency. I usually add a bit to my smoothies.

As you can see any raw/living diet or vegan/vegetarian diet needs to be researched, but it is worthwile to purusue. It is essential that you educate yourself and take care of getting the nutrients you need. There are a lot of junk food vegans and raw foodists and I don't think they are doing themselves any good. Find a local group (via meetup, or community message boards in local food co-ops, whole foods, etc.) for education and support.

It's certainly not outdated...your body's amino acid and vitamin needs don't change from one decade to the next. I never said you needed to eat it in the same meal, but it's an easy way to do it, and it's important to get sufficient legumes and grains. Many vegan products are supplemented with B12.

It's like I'm making crap up lately. :grumble: Why am I getting a degree again?