meal replacement/protein shakes

Options
So there are several different types out there for weight loss. im just looking for a good one for breakfast that will fill me up for a while. Any suggestions? whats good whats not good?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to eat your food. If you struggle to hit your protein goal every day, then just a straight whey protein is your best bet.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would avoid any meal replacement shakes if you can. They typically are filled with sugar! If anything you can drink a protein shake and have a banana with it or some rice cakes for your carbs. Just my 2 cents
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have tried a very large variety and have settled on the ones I ENJOY the taste of. I aim for 20g of protein or more in them and like the to be under 280cals. I rely on these for breakfast, snacks, when I have no time.

I realize these aren't everyone's first choice or what they would suggest. But as it's said many times on these forums THERE IS NO GOOD OR BAD FOOD. It's what fits your lifestyle, your calories, your macros!

I suggest buying singles of a few and trying them. Use the ones that give you what you need!
  • BHFF
    Options
    Just a heads up to everyone on this thread. There is BAD food for you even if it fits your macros. Saying anything less than that is bad info
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    Just a heads up to everyone on this thread. There is BAD food for you even if it fits your macros. Saying anything less than that is bad info

Obvious example being anything with trans fats.
  • BHFF
    Options
    Obvious example being anything with trans fats.[/quote]

Yeah to name 1 of many, yes. There are bad foods for you. People who say otherwise because they are doing IIFYM are people who just are ignorant to the fact. Sure you can lose weight eating unhealthy and starving yourself eating only 1100 calories a day but its SO very unhealthy.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I like the core power protein shakes for premade. I make my own with chocolate milk and isopure whey isolate...Sometimes I'll add PB and a banana and blend. The Special K breakfast drinks aren't bad and Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with milk is pretty delicious.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Quantity and frequency come in to play.

Say I eat 2000 calories a day. I eat 1700 calories of whole grains, fresh fruit, vegetables of all colours and lean proteins.
    What would it matter if I finish my day off with a doughnut?

My body doesn't give me brownie points for over eating micros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Let's see your ideas of these many bad (sorry BAD) foods then, with precise reasons why they are bad in the context of an overall diet and irrespective of dosage. Maybe start your own thread though to avoid derailing this one.
    People who say otherwise because they are doing IIFYM are people who just are ignorant to the fact.
    Really? Everyone that disagrees with you is following IIFYM and are ignorant. You don't think that's just a little bit unlikely?
    Sure you can lose weight eating unhealthy and starving yourself eating only 1100 calories a day but its SO very unhealthy.
    Yay - that's sensible.
    Strawman argument though as though there is no middle ground.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements and protein shakes isn't the same. Protein shakes are to supplement protein if you can't get enough through food. Meal replacements are not for weight loss either, but if you don't mind the taste, and have money to burn, and you find them convenient, go ahead. Food tends to fill us better up than liquids though - that's one of the reasons for drinking protein shakes, it's easy to get down, fast.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    +1 to what the four posters above wrote.
    I only use meal replacement shakes and protein shakes when I crave them, am too lazy to put something together, and/or if I'm busy and just need something to give me energy. I like the Met-RX bars best, and protein shakes (I keep it simple with just protein powder and water most of the time) are only filling for me when I have them hot. I like Vegan Smart's Nutritional Shake Powder and Trader Darwin's Soy Protein Powder (from Trader Joe's). I'll usually mix them with other protein powders that don't have as much vitamins and minerals.
    However, I still find it best to have quick meals like boiled eggs with cheese and a side of baby carrots and other vegetables to feel full while getting in some macros/micros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Jdavis3111 wrote: »
    So there are several different types out there for weight loss. im just looking for a good one for breakfast that will fill me up for a while. Any suggestions? whats good whats not good?
    I'm not a fan as I think one of the most important things to work on is building good habits for life.
    Starting that process now rather than waiting until you get to goal weight maintenance is a better idea IMHO.

Also as a personal experience drinking calories is less satisfying and filling for me than eating calories.

If you do decide to go down the meal replacement shake route have a good read of the ingredients first - often they aren't very impressive and don't compare favourably to a glass of milk, an apple and a multi vitamin.
  • cheriecarew
    cheriecarew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies! I use the vega one brand and combine it with berries, banana, greek yogurt and almond milk. It keeps me full for hours, tastes great and I like the nutritional profile of it. Some people don't like drinking their calories so it's not for everyone. Personally, I like how quick and easy it is to bring and drink at work for lunch.
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love shakeology for breakfast, mostly because I'm too lazy to make breakfast and I know I'll get the right amount of vegetable intake for the day and lots of good nutrients.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Isagenix. Expensive but lots of nutrition and tastes great chocolate flavour.
  • preissy
    preissy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Isagenix and love it. If your just after the shakes it's quite affordable but that have a whole nutritional system which fuels the body.
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like coffiest in the morning, although it runs higher in calories than many other meal replacement drinks (400 cals). Soylent makes a couple other flavors too, if coffee isn't your thing.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    we make our own smoothies
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Without having to sign up with a shady MLM, Labrada makes a good meal replacement shake. I like the Carbwatchers Lean Body in chocolate.