Down 65 lbs, but needing some additional motivation & tips!

Options
cassidyjd626
cassidyjd626 Posts: 21 Member
edited January 2017 in Success Stories
Hey guys!

I've been a part of MFP on and off for a couple of years. When I was young I was always very fit and in shape (115 lbs and a runner), but I got pregnant young and lost that quickly. I've finally taken the time to focus on myself, and I'm proud to say that I lost roughly 65 lbs from September 2015- July 2016!
2r69qf1jnwyf.jpg

I must have hit a plateau or lost my mojo, because all I've managed to do is put on weight since then! When I lost all the weight I was lifting light with minimal cardio and eating 1,000- 1,200 calories a day. Now I've been lifting heavy and eating 1,400- 1,600 calories counting macros (50p/30c/20f) and I feel like I just keep looking worse, so I'm looking for some tips!
0odwd1ne5gtg.jpg

How many calories should I be eating? Am I on the right track to start really changing my body? I love lifting and want to continue do so, but I need to burn fat as well. I would love any advice!

Because I want to end this on a positive note, seeing my gains is a great motivation! wgvtomno582a.jpg

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!

How much more would you like to lose? I think you should set MFP up to lose a pound a week, but I'm wondering if that might be too aggressive for you.

Also, you mentioned you're lifting heavy now but didn't mention cardio. Have you caught back on the cardio by any chance?
  • cassidyjd626
    Options
    everher wrote: »

How much more would you like to lose? I think you should set MFP up to lose a pound a week, but I'm wondering if that might be too aggressive for you.

Also, you mentioned you're lifting heavy now but didn't mention cardio. Have you caught back on the cardio by any chance?

Thank you! I do cardio in spurts, where I'll start to feel really flabby so I'll do it for a week, then quit again. When lifting I try to run a few laps before my workout and then after for a warm up/cool down, but lately the gym has been so packed I just go straight to lifting when something is actually open. I would like to lose another 10 lbs, but that will vary based on muscle gain of course. I'm just still very flabby and soft in all areas with fat that needs lost. I'm 5'3", so a lower weight would be safe still.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say you are an inspiration! You have made fantastic progress. Maybe the fitness board can help you figure out your calories needs and if you just need to do bulk/cutting cycle? Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • puttputt24
    puttputt24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What was the last thing you posted? YOU ARE SEEING GAINS!! That's the most important part! You have clearly gained muscle which is awesome. Gaining weight is not always a bad thing. Since you are lifting heavy and eating more you are more likely gaining muscle as the weight. Keep it up!
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress. you are gaining musclke at the moment so the "look" in the mirror is more important than what the scales say.
    Take fotos of your "weak spots" maybe your abs or lower back and glutes.
    As you ad weight these areas should be getting more toned or stay the same then you know that you are making good gains.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »

Thank you! I do cardio in spurts, where I'll start to feel really flabby so I'll do it for a week, then quit again. When lifting I try to run a few laps before my workout and then after for a warm up/cool down, but lately the gym has been so packed I just go straight to lifting when something is actually open. I would like to lose another 10 lbs, but that will vary based on muscle gain of course. I'm just still very flabby and soft in all areas with fat that needs lost. I'm 5'3", so a lower weight would be safe still.

Hmm, personally I think I would either increase the cardio then or cut the calories a bit or both. With only wanting to lose 10 lbs you could do a smaller deficit and lose half a pound a week.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    A few things that helped me break plateaus- tracking macros, increasing the intensity of cardio, adding intervals to my cardio routine and there at the end to lose the last 5 pounds or so I stopped eating back any exercise calories at all. I also do weights to help with strength, balance and muscle tone. I'm 5'4" and got down to 125 from 180 (trying to maintain now but the holidays just happened so I'm a little bit over my 5 pound maintenance range so I'm back to counting). Also no one asked but if you haven't- tighten up your logging- weigh all solids and semi solids and measure all liquids. Sometimes I would break a plateau because I would realize that I was too lax in this area and wasn't counting all of those BLTs (bites, licks and tastes). You'll get there- don't give up. It just might take a bit longer than you hoped. It took me around 5 months to lose the last 10 pounds.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try lower carb diet and lifting more reps lower weight.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Hi! First of all you've done an amazing job, and you still look great. We are always our own worst critics, so it is good that you seek opinions outside your own.
    I am not an expert in the field (just to get it out of the way) but I only have a few specific suggestions.

1- Make sure to always take enough rest at night. It is that much important.
    2- The golden rule to break a plateau is to challenge your body do something you haven't done. Our bodies are made to adapt. If your body thinks "this is as far as I get" you are there to prove to it wrong "no, you'll go further where I need you to".
    3- Remember that transformations aren't only in the body. Your mind should follow too. Take a honest look at yourself to make sure you're not on the same habits as you were before.
    4- Accept failures and move on. Staying overly discouraged won't help. If you feel like you're in a bad mood do this mental exercise. Allow yourself a time limit to let all kinds of negative emotions flow through you and flush out. Once that limit is reached switch your mind only on the positive side and move on to your goal.
    5- and my final suggestion. It's not on the calorie count, gym, or pace of progress. It is working toward a goal that will give you the happiest feelings of self satisfaction and confidence.

Keep up the great work you've done so far! :)
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you aren't losing because you are actually gaining muscle which weighs more than fat? Try measuring everything and watch the progress that way. Also, not sure but maybe you aren't eating enough protein for the lifting? Congrats!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Firstly well done! You have done really well and you should be proud of yourself. On the "gains" it could be muscle, but if you have gained 5lb I'd not worry - I have been on maintenance for nearly two years now and I allow myself a + or - 5lb "wiggle room", so I think your doing just fine. At the end of the day it up to you but I find that if I weigh myself every week, do my regular exercise, and eat a balanced diet it usually works out fine.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. My recommendation is to go to the Maintenance Thread and check out a lot of posts on this very question / issue. This situation is asked and discussed frequently, and there are threads over there with amazing information.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Also google weigh more look thinner and have a look at the images. Plenty of people on there who now weigh more but look thinner after getting to goal and finding they didn't like how they looked and started lifting/kept lifting
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You have done an amazing job!!
    Many folks above have offered lots of suggestions. before deciding on what you want to do first consider what is more important to you - the number on the scale or the composition of your body? IF the number is more important then follow advice to do more cardio. IF you are more concerned with body recomp then stick do a moderate deficit and keep lifting heavy w minimal cardio and increase your protein intake. IF you choose to go the recomp route the scale will move at a snails pace, but your body WILL become less flabby despite what the scale is telling you.
    I lift heavy and currently weight 200. I am fitting into clothes that were tight at 190. So despite the higher number on the scale, my body is actually slimmer due to carrying more muscle than before.
    Again, great job thus far!! Just sort out your priorities before making any major routine changes!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I've been a part of MFP on and off for a couple of years. When I was young I was always very fit and in shape (115 lbs and a runner), but I got pregnant young and lost that quickly. I've finally taken the time to focus on myself, and I'm proud to say that I lost roughly 65 lbs from September 2015- July 2016!
    2r69qf1jnwyf.jpg

I must have hit a plateau or lost my mojo, because all I've managed to do is put on weight since then! When I lost all the weight I was lifting light with minimal cardio and eating 1,000- 1,200 calories a day. Now I've been lifting heavy and eating 1,400- 1,600 calories counting macros (50p/30c/20f) and I feel like I just keep looking worse, so I'm looking for some tips!
    0odwd1ne5gtg.jpg

How many calories should I be eating? Am I on the right track to start really changing my body? I love lifting and want to continue do so, but I need to burn fat as well. I would love any advice!

Because I want to end this on a positive note, seeing my gains is a great motivation! wgvtomno582a.jpg

You should be your own motivation, I mean really to loose 65 lb. If that not motivation then nothing will.
    How much were you eating before?
    I think your cardio needs to be change. If you were running and you know you were burning 800 kcal, then spend another 10min to get to 900 kcal. Or mix it up. Monday do running, Tuesday do swimming, Wednesday do elliptical.

Allot of people saw a difference when they did 2hr worth of cardio.

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    No advice but you go gurl, great good
  • cassidyjd626
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely trying to change the shape of my body with lifting. I allowed myself to eat a higher calorie count to hit my weight in grams of protein, and that's where I ended up at the 145 lbs purple pants photo. I'm just not sure if I should be eating to gain muscle or eating to lose weight, since I actually want to do both! The last two days I've been eating at a deficit, so I've ended up around 1,100 calories a day, but my protein is only around 90g a day. According to a robot scale I used my BMR is 1,450, and I'm not eating back exercise calories either.
  • Zendrick
    Zendrick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think 1100 may be too little for your size, try 1300.
    I'm lifting as well and trying to lose weight, I'm only down 7lbs.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Try posting your specific questions in the fitness forum. You may get some help from the longtime lifters.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!