Hot lunch ideas?

Nicklebee93
Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
Im sick of eating sandwiches... anyone have creative ideas? Im looking to maybe doing a stir fry for lunch? I dont practically like 'cold' food. I know there is soup, any others?

Replies

• KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Soup is good, Cheese and Tomato Pasta is portable and easy. Does the food have to be portable? If not, you could try something on toast depending on your food preferences. Things like open sandwiches, Cheese on Toast, Beans or Spaghetti on toast, poached eggs on toast (as you can see, I like toast!). You could try a fancy salad or jacket potato. I know that some people eat Taco's and wraps and bean salads at work. Just a few suggestions :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    leftovers?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I've done stirfrys for lunch before. I find like stirfrys are kinda like soups or salads because you can basically add whatever you like. Usually I start with either rice or noodles as a base, add a bit of lean protein, and load up with veggies either on the side or in the stirfry itself.

I also like chili, pastas, shrimp fried rice, beans and rice, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You don't say if it needs to be portable, fast, or how you will heat it.
    I eat dinner leftovers for lunch often. Soup reheats well.

Grilled sandwiches, burritos/tacos, pasta or zoodles, soup/stew, curry, pizza, eggs, bbq meat sandwich, beans and rice, meatball sandwich, noodle soup with an egg, rice bowls, stuffed baked potato.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    I second soup ideas, but im picky. I do NOT like rice or noodles so that can limit my choices. I like making homemade egg drop soup or hot and sour soup. I can regulate what I want in it then and choose the lowest calorie options.

I like chicken. Orange chicken or sesame chicken is always good and gets you away from carbs for a bit.. (unless you like yours over pasta..lol)

Course, there is always boxed stuff like fish sticks or pizza rolls.

Homemade tortillas are EASY to make.. then you can saute some bellpepper and onion to go in it!

Squash submarines. bake the squash, saute some portabellas, cut out the middle of the squash and mash it, mix it with the shrooms and add cheese then put it back inside the squash bottoms.

Have you ever had grilled romaine lettuce? OMG! When my brother first mentioned cooking "salad" I immediately recoiled and told him I wasnt eating THAT and lettuce should NEVER be cooked! Its a travesty! A sin I as sure! He made me try it. I could eat nothing but grilled romaine hearts for the rest of my LIFE!

Romaine heart fajitas. Cook up some bellpeppers onions and a meat and wrap it in a lettuce leaf. SOO good!

A baked potato..

How about make up some bisquits from bisquick (or prepackaged), open up a can of soup (your choice) and pour it in the bottom of a pie pan. Layer bisquits on top. Bake. "Same concept to make perfectly proportioned sizes in cup cake pans!"

Lemon chicken pasta. Simple and delicious (this coming from a pasta hater).. Boil bow ties, drain, and set aside. Cut up a chicken breast (or two if you are feeding a family). Great the peel on a lemon (or two for a family) into a bowl. Squeeze the lemons into another bowl. Saute chicken chunks in some olive oil and flavor with the juice. Add chicken and grated peel to the pasta. Can add shredded cheese or that sprinkle cheese they use on pizzas. I prefer the lemon taste so dont add it myself.

Lots of ideas.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    I always try to make enough dinner to have left overs, if not it's usually a salad with protein. If I'm pressed for time - I will grab a frozen entrée from my freezer and warm it up at work. I buy the "Healthy Choice" brand with no preservatives and garbage
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Work and at home ideas were wanted :) thanks for all the ideas so far!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I like roasted veggies (artichokes, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower) over whole wheat pasta - maybe some pesto or feta and Parmesan mixed in. It's good both cold and warm - working kind of like a pasta salad. You can also eat it over greens as a hearty salad - I like the warm and cold contrast.
  • dm5859
    dm5859 Posts: 81 Member
    Crockpot recipes. Dump in the ingredients and in 4-6 hours all done and you have lunch for a week. I like the chicken taco chili from skinnytaste.com. It has 10 generous servings and I eat it with rice, tacos or on a salad or rolled up like fajitas.
  • Rachel101511
    Rachel101511 Posts: 35 Member
    I had a bunch of sauteed squash and zucchini today... you could pretty much add any vegetable you'd want. I was planning on adding mushrooms but my mushrooms went bad. But it totally filled me up and was delicious!