Suggestions on meals for someone who doesn't eat veggies really!?

Options
millermom2007
millermom2007 Posts: 2 Member
I am looking to get on track with healthy eating, but I am struggling a little because I don't really eat veggies?? Help!

Replies

• Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    +1
    I have the same issue. I am curious as to the responses. I have been able to get a few more veggies in by finding different ways to season and cook them, but I still struggle.
  • millermom2007
    millermom2007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am hoping we can get some good advice and suggestions
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well, there sure are a lot of veggies out there. Sure something might tickle your fancy? If not, there are actually a lot of webpages I've seen about hiding veggies in food dishes from your kids, such as purée them for soup or pasta dishes. Maybe you can trick yourself into loving them! Have you ever tried oven roasting broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, baby carrots...the list of roastable ones is long! Toss in olive oil, a touch of sea salt and cracked pepper and roast on a cookie sheet at 375 for 45 minutes or getting tender. I LOVE broccoli. It's gets a little crisp. Yum!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruit. "Vegetable" is a made up term anyway, many vegetables are technically fruits. Canadian food guide says seven servings of fruit or vegetables. Yes, fruits have more sugar in them, but if you're like me, you need to add extra calories in the form of a fat or starchy carb to your vegetables to make them enjoyable, so fruits are no worse.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ever think of a stir fry? Pot pie? Just simply adding some lettuce to a sandwich?
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    TheSunAndTheRainfall Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you haven't really eaten veggies much before, you run the risk of putting yourself off them even further if you jump in the deep end. Like citygirl said above, find the veg you do like, and start from there.

Steaming veg is quick, easy, gets them nice and soft and keeps most of their nutrients packed tightly in. From there it's just a case of adding things to make them palatable to you and even *gasp* taste nice! Start out with some steamed broccoli, with cracked black pepper and some cottage cheese, or fry it for a few minutes with some garlic. Cauliflower and carrots go great with some lean chicken and gravy.

Onions/leeks/diced carrots can all be used to bulk out pasta dishes, where they're small enough not to be tasted much but help to bulk the dish out and so reduce the amount of pasta you need. Chopping pretty much any veg into small parts is a great way to eat them without noticing.

The king, for me, is stir frys. A handful of protein (eg small chicken chunks/beef strips), a few noodles and a decent sauce (hoi sin, szechuan) and that's it; just add whatever veg you have to hand, I guarantee you won't taste them. Spring onions, pak choy, peppers, aubergine, courgette, you name them. Finish it off with some beansprouts and water chestnuts and you have a delicious meal FULL of veg. Just watch the portion sizes of the protein and the oil to keep calories down.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I hated Veggies too but I discovered that I just didn't like them the way that i'd had them prepared. Try starting with some tomato-based sauces and gradually add vegetables into it like mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc. You can find out what you like and what you don't like. The sauce can also be blended once cooked so texture doesn't become such a problem (unless you dislike sauces and soup textures). You can try root vegetables with skin left on, par-boiled, sprayed lightly with cooking spray, seasoned and roasted in the oven. You can even add some clear honey to them before cooking which gives them an extra-sweet flavour as is relatively low in calories (you don't need much).
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keto/Low Carb meals usually are very low in fruits and veggies - lots of meat and cheeses :)
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to ween my boyfriend onto vegetables. He's also gone his whole life despising veggies. Unfortunately for health you really do need to eat vegetables. Here are the things that I've so far had luck with, and so might work for you too:

- Stirfrying vegetables with meat, soy sauce, honey and seeds. He found the soy sauce and honey drowned out the vegetable flavour and the more he ate it, the more he got used to it.
    - Putting basic salad stuffs in wraps with meat and barbecue sauce.
    - Roasting root vegetables with maple syrup or honey. The trick here is to cut them into french fry-like shapes so that it seems like a healthy french fry hack.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You don't ever have to eat veggies. But it's in your best interest in the long run to acquire a taste for some of them.

Veggies are generally low calorie and high volume. They can help you lower your overall calorie totals. You can "bulk out" calorie dense foods and still have a decent sized portion. Example: Mac n' Cheese with cooked cauliflower added gives me a decent sized serving. Broccoli added to alfredo is another.

Try cooking veggies many different ways: roast, grill, steam or eat raw. Start with fresh or frozen......or canned (blech!) but some people like them. They will be different textures. Try different seasonings. Keep trying and you will find some you like....eventually.

You can eat small portions of calorie dense foods forever (a smaller you will require fewer calories to maintain) or learn to like a few veggies.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find ways to mask the veggies in other foods. For example, finely grating carrots and mixing them in with marinara sauce. You can't taste the carrots at all. You can also grate up other veggies and mix them in with your favorite hamburger patty. I also support the idea of trying to cook the veggies in different ways. Trial and error to find what tastes best for you.
  • KimmalyS
    KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bxxx17s7rdgl.jpg
    Well- how about homemade veggie burgers? I actually made it tonight, here's a pic. It's out of this world good.
  • KimmalyS
    KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Enjoy!!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't really like veggies either but have found I like roasted green beans...toss in olive oil, pepper, and a dash of salt or whatever spices you want really and roast. Also like roasted baby potatoes if I toss them in some pepper and rosemary.

Just experiment and see if you can find something you like. Edamame actually was really good too right out of the pod. Something I would have never tried but went to a Lunch and Learn at work with a nutritionist and she had them for us to try. Didn't really taste like anything actually.

• Tiberiel
    Tiberiel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are there any vegetable-based seasonings that you use when you cook, like garlic powder or onion powder? If so you could try adding some of the actual vegetable sometime instead of the powder (just a little bit, I discovered the hard way that the real thing has a lot more flavor to it than the powder version). That would be another thing to try along with the idea of flavoring up red sauce or something like that.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hunger... You're going to feel it by not eating vegetable. I'd eat things with lots of volume so you won't feel as hungry. But it will still suck losing weight when you are hungry most of the time.
  • lynnannsullivan
    lynnannsullivan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...tried this recipe recently and really liked it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-brussels-sprouts-51263020
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We made a quiche last night for supper and it was loaded with veggies! Thinly slice 1 pound sweet potato, butter a pie pan and layer the sweet potato slices for the 'crust'. Bake crust in 350° oven for 20 minutes. Saute 4 cups of spinach and lay in bottom of crust. Mix 1 cup milk with 6 eggs, 1/4 of a medium onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1 poblano pepper chopped, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into crust top with your choice of cheese. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Delicious!!
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big veggie lover. I thought I hated everything, but I've gradually grown to find a few I can tolerate using the methods people have described- roasting, stir fry, etc. I don't think I will ever get over my texture issue with tomato chunks.

I did just by a ninja smoothie maker. I wanted to limit my processed foods and increase my veggies this year, and this seemed like the easiest way to do it with my pickiness. For lunch I am having a smoothie with spinach, almond milk, carrots, a and banana. The cookbook that came with it was very interesting and you can really hide a lot of veggies in a smoothie. And you could probably start with a blender assuming you used softer veggies or roasted or steamed them first.