How do you record your marinades?

Options
hamncheese67
hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
So I marinated my chicken breasts this morning in yogurt/garlic/ginger/lemon juice/olive oil/spices to grill for dinner and am wondering how I should go about recording the calories and such from the marinade or should I not bother. What do you do for marinades?

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,202 Member
    Options
    Great question.....Make sure and count the oil.... when I marinade in soy sauce, balsamic vin. and worcestershire, I add a little brown sugar, I can just quick add calories, but then it's not tracking my sodium...... This is why I usually don't eat ALL of my exercise calories.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Best way is to measure everything, put it in your recipes as a recipe and whenever you use your marinades, use the recipe you have used before. It will give you the calories.:smile:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I take the entire recipe of marinade and then if I put in 4 (4-6oz) chicken breasts divide it evenly. It's probably more marinade than I actually eat since you toss quite a bit that doesn't actually soak into the chicken (etc) but it's the easiest way for me to guess at it.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Great question.....Make sure and count the oil.... when I marinade in soy sauce, balsamic vin. and worcestershire, I add a little brown sugar, I can just quick add calories, but then it's not tracking my sodium...... This is why I usually don't eat ALL of my exercise calories.

Agreed-- & GREAT answer.

I usually don't count anything but the FATS, so buttermilk, oil, etc. You could also try logging the marinade as a recipe and doubling the number of servings-- say 2 steaks' worth of marinade would be 4 servings... Just a guess. Better to guess over the cal # than under.
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use the receipe section and put in all the ingredients. Then I estimate how much got soaked up by my marinade and record it that way.
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    Yeah, I would do what Skinny said. I would put it into the recipe tool and then split the servings to get your best estimate. That way you'll really have a good idea of its true nutritional effect.