With a little help from my friends

Options
Two things happened to force me to take a good look at myself. During the holidays I was window shopping and caught a glimpse of an overweight woman reflected in the mirror. She looked sad. I looked around to speak with her...but she was not there. I glanced at the storefront glass again and realized the overweight woman was me. I was shattered. The second defining moment was right after the new year I developed an ear infection and at the doctor's appointment, I was weighed. The number took my breath away. I realized that I had been concentrating on everything and everybody...but me. I was letting myself go and endangering my health. This is a real concern because I have Lupus and Sjogren's Disease. I am determined to be more than an empty nester or a fat grandma. My children and grandchildren have grown up and flown the nest. This is my time. I will be 62 years old on March 1st. It's time to get my sexy back. Not the sexy of my 20's or 30's. But my 2nd Act sexy for this stage of my life. Which includes maintaining a healthy weight and taking care of Me. I know it is not going to be easy, but I am ready.

Replies

• natalieinjeans
    natalieinjeans Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Getting your sexy back sounds like an AWESOME goal! Good for you - focusing on yourself is so important, especially when you're dealing with a chronic disease. You can only take care of others after you've taken care of yourself. I have lupus and sjogrens too, and I'm right there with ya. Let's make 2017 the year we get our groove back!
  • lhannigan0521
    lhannigan0521 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ive also seen my reflection in places and thought...omg!! I am right there with you. My word that came to me for 2017 is Amplify :). Is it ok if i add both of you as friends. Need all the support amd motivation i can get.
  • TexasHunnybear
    TexasHunnybear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My own reflection makes me sad as well. I have so let myself go! I see women out and about in some of the cutest outfits and just wish I could pull off that look. I don't have a whole lot of support at home as far as weightloss support...I have a wonderful husband who says he loves me no matter what , 3 teenagers that are picky eaters, and a 2 year old that I don't have energy to chase unless I get from a can! I beat myself up often wondering how could I let myself this large! I'm tired of beating on me! I'm ready to love myself and feel comfortable in my own skin. I'm looking to make friends that I can be motivated by. Feel free to add me. I would add each of you but I'm new to this and don't know how that is done.
  • badavis199
    badavis199 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ladies, we are awesome. The past does not matter. It is today that counts. I am determined to lose this weight. I was good for 5 days and last night I cheated. Cookies and milk. But you know what I did this morning? I left that in the past and walked for an hour before breakfast. My breakfast ...cottage cheese and blueberries. My point is that there will be times when we will falter, but its the end result that counts. Please add me as a friend and let's check in with each other for encouragement and accountability. Barbara
  • mirmgib
    mirmgib Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Started January 2nd and lasted all week. Did not weigh myself at the beginning because I was scared. Today I did weigh myself and I'm leaner than when I began last September. Lost nearly six lbs since last Sept. (I didn't keep up the journal until a week ago). This time I am determined as I am planning a trip in March and need to be able to walk. I am 199.2 on a 5' frame. See the picture! That's me more or less. Hope to find friends who want to share.
  • badavis199
    Options
    Great, mirmgib! I was afraid of the scale too. But I am determined to conquer that little dictator. I have found that logging on daily, keeping track of what I eat and making myself move is encouraging. I am 5'2" and weigh 205.5. Ouch! I started at 211, so already within a week, I have lost 6 pounds. I a determined to get to my goal weight of 140 pounds. It hurts me to realize how much I have let myself go. But that is my past ....I am working on the present so that I can enjoy my future. I'm Barbara and I look forward to going on this journey with you.
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good luck everybody with your health and fitness goals. Like you say, the thing is to pick yourself up and start again each day. Let's take inspiration from all the amazing people on similar paths!
  • mirmgib
    mirmgib Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks and TTY tomorrow.
  • badavis199
    Options
    Going out to dinner. I have got to learn how to eat out and have control over my calories. My daughter is getting married next year and we are planning the wedding. That means cake tastings, menu sampling, dress shopping and lots of temptations. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am hoping that my success at weight loss will encourage my family. I wish losing weight was as easy as gaining it.
  • Boopsie73
    Boopsie73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate looking myself in the mirror. I too have Lupus but I have Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis & Rheynauds. I have been on & off steroids for the past 7 years. Losing weight has always been a struggle for me. I lose and I gain over & over again. I'm determined to get healthy & stay on track this time.... I just need a little support.
  • badavis199
    Options
    Boopsie I understand your pain. I have to take steroids when the pain becomes too much to bear or my fatigue paralyzes me. It makes losing weight so very difficult. That is why I am not calling this a diet. I am embarking on a life change. I need to be at a healthy weight so that I can combat this illness. I am part of two lupus support and research groups here in Georgia. Check your area. These groups have really helped me. I am sending you a friend request...and my support. Together, we will both stay on track this time. By the way...I'm Barbara