When should I do weigh ins?

When should I do weigh in?
I am hoping to lose 50 lbs minimum by the end of this year. My actual weight loss goal is 70 lbs.
I am at 198.8 lbs last time I jumped on the scale. Also I am scared of getting on there because I feel sad if I see no progress.
What does a plateau really mean?

Replies

• Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Once a week, in the morning after you've made #1 & #2 but before you eat or drink anything
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    When you want. But yes above to the mornings. Some are more motivated by checking in every day. They feel "held accountable" and work extra hard if the scale slips in the wrong direction. Others are discouraged by that and will quit so for them, its best just to log your food and exercise and wait a week or two, or even a month. Some start off daily just to "get their routine down" until they start noticing a pattern of weight loss, then adopt that habit and wont check in for a few weeks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I weight myself every morning as soon as I get up and pee, butt *kitten* naked :)

I use a trend function on an excel spreadsheet that gives me a 5-day avg, so I can how if I am trending up or down; but that also takes into account that some days I may weigh more than others
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    In the morning, after pooping and before coffee if poss. I weigh every day because day to day fluctuations are such that I could easily see almost no change one particular week to the next even though the reality is a lot more complex. I find myself writing this out a lot lately, I should copy paste myself :). My weight loss, and presumably others', is far from linear. Like last Sunday I weighed 148 and change, and today I weighed in about the same. I'd be frustrated if that's all I knew. All the weigh days in between show 147, 147, 146 and then 148 again today which tells a lot different story and has next to no emotional component for me as a result.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i log once a week. ill sstep on it periodically throughout the week, but only record it once (usually friday am, but im going to a concert thursday night so know ill be drinking and as such will likely do it thursday LOL)

as far as time of day - just be consistent. most of us id bet do it first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    my fluctuations this week have been 153.8, 154, 154.8, 153 (last 4 days)
  • MacaronStyle
    MacaronStyle Posts: 35 Member
    In the morning, after pooping and before coffee if poss. I weigh every day because day to day fluctuations are such that I could easily see almost no change one particular week to the next even though the reality is a lot more complex. I find myself writing this out a lot lately, I should copy paste myself :). My weight loss, and presumably others', is far from linear. Like last Sunday I weighed 148 and change, and today I weighed in about the same. I'd be frustrated if that's all I knew. All the weigh days in between show 147, 147, 146 and then 148 again today which tells a lot different story and has next to no emotional component for me as a result.

^^ All of this. Once you start seeing your daily fluctuations you gain a much better understanding of how your choices (and hormones and other factors) affect your weight so you can make better decisions and won't be disheartened. I've heard there are people who panic with daily fluctuations so if you're one of those people then by all means weigh less often.

I weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and stark naked.
  • chaniess
    chaniess Posts: 10 Member
    I have taken advice on this and have decided to weigh in once a month, as it will show greater dividends and make me feel more accomplished.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member

^^ All of this. Once you start seeing your daily fluctuations you gain a much better understanding of how your choices (and hormones and other factors) affect your weight so you can make better decisions and won't be disheartened. I've heard there are people who panic with daily fluctuations so if you're one of those people then by all means weigh less often.

I weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and stark naked.

Another option is to use a weight trending app like Happy Scales, Libra or trendweight.com, all of which get you to focus on your long term weight trend rather than daily fluctuations. I use Happy Scales and weigh daily because more data points makes the app's trend line more accurate.
  • wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    Don't do it everyday you will become obsessed. My boyfriend has taken the batteries out the scales and will only give them to me on a Sunday morning