yard work

Options
I was out doing yard work for 2 hours and 20minutes. It is very hot outside. The first hour was just pruning a tree, not a big deal. Then the rest of the time was some serious hard work, like trimming a full grow oak tree and pulling up large ferns etc. The exersice caculator says around 250 calories are burned each hour. I feel like the first hour wasn't nearly as hard as the other 2.5 hours, but maybe it's because I wasn't hot yet. I don't know whether I should count the first hour in my time total, even though I was gardening.

Replies

• GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Pruning isn't very hard work, So You probably burned around maybe 150 the first hour, if hard work is 250.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely count it. Anything over your BMR should be counted. I burn 84 calories per hour according to my BMR. Don't short yourself.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't count it...if I'm not positive on what I burned, I would either not count it or make it a VERY low number so I don't eat the wrong amount
  • JenTomanek
    Options
    We built a shed out back and it was a total of 5 hours. There was really nothing comparable to the calorie counter on that one, but it was very hot (about 28 degrees Celcius) and so I put it under construction. It added up to a lot of calories, but with the heat and all of the work involved, I feel it was worth it. I think your yardwork was worth every calorie. :)
  • Asug8237
    Asug8237 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok I think I will count the first hour as 100cal and the rest at 250cal/ hr. Does that sound reasonable?