Always hungry!

Options
Oh my word people! I just started this past week on eating healthy (ier) and I have found I am now always hungry! I feel like I'm starving! When I feel hungry I try and grab something healthy like a big bowl of fruit or apple slices but nothing seems to help. I've lost weight before but I suffered with an eating disorder since I was in 6th grade (I'm now 27). I recovered 3 years ago but gained about 70lbs. I'm aiming to lose it and then some but this is my first time doing it the normal way (eating healthy and exercising). Is this normal? I feel like I did when I was in the throws of my disorder. I mean I guess since I'm eating less than what I have been (must've been around 2700-3000 calories a day) being hungry makes sense but this is ridiculous. I just need a few opinions here and some help.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Starting a diet is always hard, especially since you are so focused on it at first. It does get easier. You figure out which foods are more filling (i.e. protein, fiber) and which aren't. More exercise will allow you to eat more, but it may also make you hungrier. In time you find a balance.
  • monicatjackson
    monicatjackson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely start by making sure you are drinking plenty of water. I have also found that foods higher in fiber help me stay fuller longer. Stick with it, and good luck!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    When I get back into a deficit I'm usually very hungry for a week or two, then it settles down.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Besides the ideas above, consider experimenting with the timing and composition of your eating, to see whether you can find a more satiating routine.

By timing, I mean what and how much you eat at varying times of the day.

Some people feel most satisfied with 3 equal meals, some with 5-6 small meals, a mix of bigger meals and smaller snacks, a big breakfast and smaller meals later, skipping breakfast to save calories for later, one big meal per day (a form of intermittent fasting), or with some calories saved for a bedtime snack.

By composition, I mean which macros and foods you emphasize in your eating, within a healthy range.

Some people feel more full if they eat extra protein, and possibly get a good bit with each meal (instead of all at dinner/supper). Others feel full if they get relatively more fat. Some people only feel full if they eat plenty of high-volume/low-calorie foods (like high-fiber veggies). Some need to eat some carbs (potatoes, grains), while others find that carbs only make them crave more carbs.

When it comes to feeling full, everyone's different.

So, if you're always feeling hungry, try a new alternative for 2-3 days. Is it better? If not, try something else. If it is, keep it. Keep experimenting until you find out what works best for you.

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Your deficit might be too aggressive and/or you're making poor food choices
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What deficit are you set at? If 2lbs a week dial down to 1lb a week. A deficit of about 20% of your total daily energy expenditure is often considered optimal (maybe 25% while obese). For many people this boils down to about 500 Cal a day.

Timing and composition of meals and more filling choices will, of course, play a major role in satiety.

While I am an absolute believer in eating all the chocolate/ice cream/fast food YOU CAN AFFORD WITHIN YOUR CALORIES AND NUTRITIONAL NEEDS, choosing foods that contain less calories per gram while providing you with nutrients such as more protein and/or more fiber may help you manage your satiety.
  • brittane_t
    brittane_t Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the responses. I appreciate them immensely. I will try upping my protein intake and see if that works. I don't believe I'm making poor food choices and mfp has me at 1690 calories a day losing 1lb per week. I think part of it is that I used to eat so much and now I've cut back quite a bit. But protein should help. Thank you!!!!
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with @CafeRacer808--protein, fiber, and fat keep me full longer. If I start my day with eggs, cheese, or nuts I stay full longer. Then it's easier to keep it up through the day. Good luck!
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I start off my day eating lots of protein (usually eggs and bacon) and I don't even get hungry until dinner time. I try to pick proteins for dinner that are high in protein too so that it holds me over. Fruit and veggies have never kept me full longer than 30 minutes. With that being said, the first few weeks of changing your eating habits are hard. I was a cranky hungry person the first two weeks. Now I can eat way less and be satisfied.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I remember after losing weight for a while, going and telling the nutritionist that I was still really hungry. I was eating relatively right, and logging, but I was still HUNGRY all the time.

(Several years ago, while trying to lose enough weight for bariatric surgery, they initially had one bariatric nutritionist, and then she left for another job and they hired another. I never ended up getting the surgery.)

I went to see Laura - the first nutritionist. She told me to focus on protein and the fats/carbs would take care of themselves, and the proteins would keep me fuller longer. That helped a lot.

A few months later, I came in and told Stephanie the same thing - I was still really hungry. She told me to increase my fiber. That helped the rest of the way.

Both of those, of course with making sure you drink your 8 glasses of water a day, helped me IMMENSELY.

I get chocolite protein bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com. There are usually coupons at www.retailmenot.com. The protein bars have about 10-ish grams of protein and of fiber - they're sugar free/gluten free also. That next month I lost 12 pounds.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Whole grains make a big difference to me