New Here, Looking for Friends and Encouragement

Options
Well, I was really just looking for an app for my phone to help me log calories, but it seems I've found so much more! I'm going to try MFP because it's time I really made the change necessary to manage my weight.

A little about myself...I'm 34, happily married, and an expectant father (baby is due August 23!). I saw my doctor on Thursday for a health assessment, fearing that my blood pressure had finally reached the danger zone because I seemed to be experiencing related symptoms. Turns out, I'm as healthy as I can be for my weight, which, unfortunately, is now the highest it's ever been. At just 10 pounds until 300 and a baby girl arriving soon whom I want to be proud of her daddy, it's way past time to start pushing the numbers in the other direction. After a frank discussion with my doctor, I'm going to follow a basic "calories-in, calories out" plan, trying to incorporate some basic exercise into my "sedentary lifestyle" (re: desk job) and limiting my food intake to 1400 calories per day (sounds pretty harsh, but it's at his guidance considering the numerous other health risk factors I have floating around in the background).

My struggle with my weight has always been a very private battle (ironic, considering how everyone can see how heavy one is), so being a part of this website is a big step for me. Looking for friends to help me on the way, add me to receive some encouragement back.

Replies

• aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the baby!! I cant wait to see your amazing results :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this step. Feel free to add me. I was in the same situation as you 4 months ago and I'm down over 50 pounds. This site is fantastic for tips and encouragement. I think it is also beneficial for you to be involved in the forums and discussions. It's been very cathartic for me.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    good luck to u, MFP has great support
  • sharishar
    sharishar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations about the baby and good luck with the weight loss.

I must admit this site keeps me in check and helps me to add my food and do exercise.

Feel free to add me if you wish to be friends and I will give you as much support as possible, well done in taking your fist baby step, there will be more
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weight lose. great motivation i have a six yr old daughter that says even though her friends say i'm the fattest mum she still loves me.. that really makes me want to lose the weight and get fit and healthy
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Where there's a Will there's a way! Sorry, somebody had to say it. :bigsmile:

I hope you can join a gym, best thing I ever did!
  • Jazzart
    Jazzart Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place my friend, If you're looking for support, this is where you will find it. I must say this place is addictive and has thousands of very positive people here encouraging you each and every day of your new healthy lifestyle.,

Joe
  • Man_in_Motion
    Options
    Wow! What a generous outpouring of support! I already feel much more motivated knowing that there are people who are interested in my journey and willing to hold me accountable! I hope I can be of help to others here too.
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this step. Feel free to add me. I was in the same situation as you 4 months ago and I'm down over 50 pounds. This site is fantastic for tips and encouragement. I think it is also beneficial for you to be involved in the forums and discussions. It's been very cathartic for me.

Congratulations to both of you!!! My goal is 50 # by December (100) total
  • Man_in_Motion
    Options
    Was just looking through my old forum posts and realized I've been doing the MFP for over 4 months now...a few things have changed in that time:

1. Baby arrived in August. She's healthy and beautiful. Being a daddy is the greatest thing ever!
    2. I'm still 34, but I'll be 35 in two weeks.
    3. I've upped my calorie allowance to the recommended amount to lose two pounds a week-- needed a little breathing room (this is a marathon, not a sprint).
    4. I've lost 52 pounds in that time! I'm down about 3 sizes in pants and at a weight that I haven't been in 7-8 years.

What's not changed is that I'm still always looking for good, positive MFP friends for mutual support and encouragement. I'm still 72 pounds from my ultimate goal weight, so I'll be here for a while. (You can read about my journey so far at:: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FindingtheWill ). It doesn't matter how much or how little you might have to lose, if you're in this for Life send me a friend request, and we'll work on it together. :)
  • safetyguy71
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome aboard. Kids can be a great motivation, although I wish I was motivated when I had my first. It's hard keeping up with a three year old, but I'm working on it.