Do you eat your exercise calories ??

keen78
keen78 Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2017 in Getting Started
Im not sure if you should eat your exercise calories???

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    keen78 wrote: »
    Im not sure if you should eat your exercise calories???

Further, can I recommend you read the stickied messages. They will answer a lot of your questions.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2017
    I try not to, the bigger deficit, the bigger the weight loss

And depending on how much you have to lose, the bigger the deficit, the more muscle mass you will lose. Your body can only oxidize so much fat in a day. The less total fat you have, the less percentage of that fat you can burn off. Once your body has burned off the amount of fat it can in a day, it takes the rest from other sources, meaning a bigger deficit is not always a better deficit as the goal is to lose fat not muscle and other lean mass.

Can't you prevent that, by eating, drinking additional protein and lifting weights?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I don't eat the first 500 exercise calories. If I exercise more than that, I eat some of the calories above 500.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    I am not sure of how well my calories are measured...so nope, if I was sure...then I'd eat, if hungry, about 100 calories or so O_o I guess
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    edited January 2017

And depending on how much you have to lose, the bigger the deficit, the more muscle mass you will lose. Your body can only oxidize so much fat in a day. The less total fat you have, the less percentage of that fat you can burn off. Once your body has burned off the amount of fat it can in a day, it takes the rest from other sources, meaning a bigger deficit is not always a better deficit as the goal is to lose fat not muscle and other lean mass.

Can't you prevent that, by eating, drinking additional protein and lifting weights?

That still doesn't change the reality that you can only burn so much fat in a day. Any deficit beyond that needs to be provided for somewhere, and there are only so many options if more calories are not eaten, and all of them are lean mass.

The issue is that more often than not people will start out with a 2 pound per week goal. For someone 75 of more pounds overweight, that is quite appropriate, but often it is people with only 25 pounds to lose, and even that 2 pound per week deficit is too big. Then they don't eat even a portion of their exercise calories which they are supposed to, taking an already huge deficit and making it bigger. Then they think that eating protein and lifting weights will fix that. It won't the energy has come from somewhere.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    i don't,but if i go over my calories during the week,i don't worry about it because of the fact i don't eat my exercise calories back.it gives me flexibility with the logging.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I eat every single one of them, but I'm obese and candle a certain margin of error, plus I have tweaked my exercise calories over the years. If I haven't, I think my eat back amount makes up about 70% or something of the original untweaked amount? Not sure.

Don't get overwhelmed, just eat all or some or none of them back, whichever you wish to start with, then after a couple of months evaluate your average weekly weight loss and eat more/fewer of them back if you find you are losing faster/slower than the app predicts.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

That's only two of the three things that guard against muscle loss - the third being an excessive and prolonged deficit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I always ate around half of mine, I felt I needed them to stave of the hunger...
    It never hindered my weight loss.
  • mikeshealth2016
    mikeshealth2016 Posts: 17 Member

Yeah that may be true but also if you cut your calories by too much for day you're going to start losing muscle not just fat then you end up being skinny fat
  • LeeseySparkles
    LeeseySparkles Posts: 10 Member
    Nope.. I don't even log my exercise on here. I noticed the amount of calories MFP awards for basic exercises are very exaggerated. I figure the calories I burn from exercising cover anything I miss log or inaccurately log on here. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Hell yes! (most of them anyway). At 4'10", 135 lb, desk job, my 0.5lb/wk loss estimate is 1240 net calories - no way in hell am I not going to be ravenously hungry after a workout. (My calorie burn estimates come from Garmin using a heart rate monitor, so likely fairly accurate).