Metabolism Booster: Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
I've started drinking 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar (in 2 cups water w/a tbsp. of honey) everyday. It's supposed to be great for your metabolism. Can anyone attest to this?

I add a pinch of cayenne. It's pretty weird but not bad. I've read all over the internet that it's good for metabolism. Is this true or just a silly myth?

:drinker:

Replies

• MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I know my mom does that for arthritis, and I have heard of doing it for heart burn. It will be interesting to see the replies you get!
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    I too have been looking for validation of the Apple Cider Vinegar myth. I read on one site (and a couple of minutes at google didn't get me back to the same article, dammit) about three-four months ago that Apple Cider Vinegar, taken in the fashion that you've suggested, can result in an accelerated weight loss (from memory here - I can't remember how much).

There was a scientific study (that prompted this article that I recall reading), so I'm expecting that there's something in it.

My particular conundrum is "What TYPE of Apple Cider Vinegar is that again?" LOL

That and I have started to favour Apple Cider as an alcoholic beverage of choice, you know, just in case. :)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    No but I hear it's a preventative for arthritis too. Bonus!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I did this for a while as well, i also tried drinking aloe vera juice. Never got an results but I was not dieting at the time.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have heard its good for several things...so probably right on this one.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    the vinegar needs to be unfiltered, not the cheap stuff.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    It does help, but is hard to swallow. I usually dillute it with a little water and then chase it with 8 oz. afterwards. :sick:
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I take a cayenne pepper capsule for metabolism boost. You can buy it at walmart or many other stores and is low priced.
  • CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lived in China for two years and ALL the women there swore by apple cider vinegar (one glass a day) and soy milk (two glasses a day). There is a huge apple cider vinegar market there aimed and women's fitness. So... could be a wives tale, but, my friends who drank it were all far more fit than me!
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Check out www.webmd.com to read about the many benefits of vinegar. :flowerforyou:
  • NurdyNurse
    NurdyNurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar

Here is a direct link. There are benefits, but there are risks too. Take a look at the article.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    This article lays it out pretty bluntly:

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

Says it's mostly BS as far as metabolism boost/weight loss goes.

Well, I have this whole bottle and it's not gonna hurt me. I'm going to drink it like this daily til it's gone and see how it goes.

Worst-case-scenario, I'm well-preserved.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar

Here is a direct link. There are benefits, but there are risks too. Take a look at the article.

Thanks for that. I'll paste the risks here for anyone who's curious:

What Are the Risks of Apple Cider Vinegar?

On the whole, the risks of taking occasional, small amounts of apple cider vinegar seem low. But using apple cider vinegar over the long term, or in larger amounts, could have risks. Here are some things to keep in mind.

* Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed. Pure apple cider vinegar could damage the tooth enamel and the tissues in your throat and mouth. One study found a woman who got an apple cider vinegar supplement stuck in her throat. She seemed to have suffered lasting damage to her esophagus. Vinegar has been known to cause contact burns to the skin.
    * Long-term use of apple cider vinegar could cause low potassium levels and lower bone density. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your doctor before using apple cider vinegar.
    * Apple cider vinegar could theoretically interact with diuretics, laxatives, and medicines for diabetes and heart disease.
    * If you have diabetes, check with your doctor before using apple cider vinegar. Vinegar contains chromium, which can alter your insulin levels.
    Using apple cider vinegar supplements -- instead of the liquid itself -- adds another layer of risk. You just can't be sure what you're really getting. Unlike medicines, supplements are not regulated by the FDA. They aren't routinely tested for effectiveness or even basic safety. A 2005 study looked at the ingredients of eight different brands of apple cider vinegar supplements. The researchers found that:

* The ingredients listed on the box did not reflect the actual ingredients.
    * The ingredients varied a great deal between different brands.
    * The recommended dosages varied a great deal between brands.

Most disturbing, the chemical analysis of these samples led the researchers to doubt whether any of these brands actually contained any apple cider vinegar at all.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I have a friend who swears by juicing and she uses Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar every day. She has lost a ton of weight and looks great, but I am not sure if it's the juicing, the vinegar or the activity she is doing.

I tried Braggs for awhile, didn't do much for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to use Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to help with my digestion since my stomach isn't very acidic.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    While the vinegar myth came before the actual evidence to support a mechanism of action, a number of publications on the glycemic load have noted this research. The evidence suggests that the consumption of an acid, like vinegar, with a meal containing carbohydrates has an effect of moderating the rise of blood sugar commonly observed in meals without this addition.

Not saying drinking vinegar is good or bad, just pointing interested parties in a direction....

Studies have shown that vinegar reduces postprandial blood glucose levels in healthy subjects [14-17].....
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-230x/7/46
    Brighenti F, Castellani G, Benini L, Casiraghi MC, Leopardi E, Crovetti R, Testolin G: Effect of neutralized and native vinegar on blood glucose and acetate responses to a mixed meal in healthy subjects.

Eur J Clin Nutr 1995, 49(4):242-247. PubMed Abstract OpenURL

Return to text

Liljeberg H, Björck I: Delayed gastric emptying rate may explain improved glycaemia in healthy subjects to a starchy meal with added vinegar.

Eur J Clin Nutr 1998, 52(5):368-371. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text OpenURL

Leeman M, Ostman E, Björck I: Vinegar dressing and cold storage of potatoes lowers postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses in healthy subjects.

Eur J Clin Nutr 2005, 59(11):1266-1271. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text OpenURL

Ostman E, Granfeldt Y, Persson L, Björck I: Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects.

Eur J Clin Nutr 2005, 59(9):983-988. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text OpenURL

Johnston CS, Kim CM, Buller AJ: Vinegar improves insulin sensitivity to a high-carbohydrate meal in subjects with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.

Diabetes Care 2004, 27(1):281-282. PubMed Abstract | Publisher Full Text OpenURL
  • littlebones14
    Options
    The trainer and nutritionist I worked with for a bit, suggested to me taking a teaspoon in 8 oz of water before eating a meal to allow for better absorption of nutrients - and he was right! After taking it I became ridiculously hungry, I wouldn't eat more than I usually would, but my god did I want food, and I wanted it now.
  • erikcornell90
    Options
    I use Braggs Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother and it works ! The best vinegar you can get hands down. I take it once a day on an empty stomach upon awaking for my day and so far I have lost 11 pounds and im eating sugar lol.I eat 2 peppermint patties 140 calories each everyday to test this theory mixing in some junk here n there to see if its true and so far it is.I watch my calorie intake and eat small meals but sometimes I pack some extra calories to see if its for real.I am going to continue trying different things and see how its goes so far its working.I use 3 caps in a glass of water and then just drink it.It does not bother me to just slam it for some reason I enjoy taking it.i feel a zap of energy after slamming the glass lol its good and it rocks. Shake it before you poor braggs its unfiltered all natural all good apple cider vinegar.DO NOT use regular store brand garbage crap your wasting your time with that trash !
  • erikcornell90
    Options
    Seriously ignore these stupid bogus articles and all that crap. The Braggs Apple Cider Unfiltered Vinegar is all natural organic greatness. It has already been proven and common sense that it aids in digestion so hello just think about that statement alone beside all the other stuff it has in it.If you cant understand what digestive enzymes are then I can't help you because this vinegar is jam packed with them hello wake up !.