Injury: Motivation/Support?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
Unfortunately, yesterday I sprained my ankle while working out at the gym and am off it for 2-6 weeks. It was a huge blow for me because I work out every day, and have been doing a lot of running the last few weeks.

I am still going to the gym when with my friend, and we do arms/abs/stretching. If I can't make it to the gym, I do boxing and stuff from YouTube to workout my upper body, plus push ups and stuff. It's my right ankle, so I haven't been clear to drive yet.

However, not being able to workout and do cardio is really bringing me down because I've been working so hard lately. What can I do to keep myself from turning to food when I'm bored or emotional, and not letting this injury bring me down? It's driving me crazy and it's been one day!

:(

Replies

• Kayamooh
    Kayamooh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try swimming!!
    You can do your exercise but you don't need to worry about weight on your ankle?
    It's that or buy a complete series on dvd, or get a new hobby. anything to distract yourself!

p.s. You can do it!!

(My sister recently sprainer her ankle while jogging, she was exactly the same as you. she ended up doing A LOT of cleaning and cooking to distract herself, it burns calories too! try gardening as well, or other household things you may have been putting off)
  • MaryTuttle
    MaryTuttle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey, sc1572, I agree, utilize the pool! swim or use an aqua jogging/running belt and run. It is suprising just how much of a work out this can be! Good luck.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Read some books and set some new goals post recovery. Learn more about nutrition etc. Develop a plan and then a pre plan to get you through the recovery. Turn the down time into a learning time. Try some yoga and relax your mind etc. LOL. You'll be good since you're paying attention.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Swimming is a great idea for aroebic workouts. That was a good suggestion. Then stay focus and plan on other activities and you'll work towards some new goals. And then you need to take care of the ankle.......good luck.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I feel your pain. I pulled my abductor muscle 2 months ago today. I'm still not completely healed. It drives me crazy I can't workout like I was.

Just rest it and let heal and don't get discouraged. :)