Supporting spouse through illness

Options
I have put on 17 pounds since my husband had surgery 8 weeks ago. My job is to help him recover and keep weight on. He began radiation last week and begins chemo tomorrow. I am no good to any of us if I get sick. Not looking for rapid weight loss. It isn't the time, but suggestions of make ahead meals or grab and go would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I live by myself and have a fairly fluid schedule - so on weekends - i'll premake some pasta bakes (skinnytaste is a website I like) and then freeze the left-overs into individual servings, so I can just grab and go
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you and your husband during his treatment.

I don't know what kind of food you eat. Many people use crockpots or slow cookers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/253/everyday-cooking/slow-cooker/

I'm vegetarian and cook batches of lentils ahead of time -- they have good protein and are easy to cook. I add whatever vegetables I have on hand, tomatoes, squash, etc. I also cut up vegetables and keep them in a tupperware container in the fridge so it takes just a few minutes to make a meal.
  • kathyl05
    kathyl05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Truly appreciate you suggestions and support. Completely forgot about lentils. Can always pick up some soup too. Not much time to cook these days. Definitely checking out Skinnytaste too. Thanks again.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When my Dad was doing chemo, I would cook extra and make small portions for my mom and dad and take them over. Mom would pop them in the freezer to thaw and use whenever. Is there someone who can help?
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm sending you tons of hugs. It's HARD taking care of a sick loved one, but you are so kind to do it. Remember that it's okay to be exhausted and angry.

In terms of meals, I've been enjoying the meal prep ideas from Fit Men Cook.

I'm wishing you the best!
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's hard caring for an ill or injured loved one and yourself at the same time. I put on weight when my mom was going through chemo and radiation. I'm definitely a stress eater. Sending best wishes and prayers your way
  • matthelmet
    matthelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Bear Valley Pemmican Bars when I was playing volleyball after work. They were natural, filling, and would inspire you to drink water after. Easy to keep them on hand and can be stored in the freezer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,325 Member
    Options
    I like to make . . . I don't know what you'd call them exactly - crustless quiches? - to freeze in pyrex bowls with snap-top lids. Just put some veggies (raw or partly cooked as needed) and/or meat in the dish, mixing in a bit of cheese, and pour an egg/milk mixture over the top (around 1T of milk per egg). Then bake at 350 or 375 until done, cool enough to stick in the freezer, snap tops on & freeze. They'll take half an hour or so to rise & brown a bit when you first bake them, depends somewhat on the dish size. You can just microwave them to re-heat.

If you use veggies/meats that don't need to pre-cook, these are very quick to prep.

Those pyrex snap-top bowls are great for freezing bean/pea/lentil soups in individual portions, too.

Another similar option is "breakfast muffins" which are usually an egg-y sort of thing baked in muffin tins. (If you Google it or search on Pinterest, there are a billion recipes). They don't have to be just a breakfast food!

Winter-squash lasagna or squash mac'n'cheese are things one can prep ahead, bake, cool, cut up, wrap & freeze in individual portions. (The squash keeps it rich and creamy with reduced cheese/calories, and I use whole grain or chickpea pasta for a bit more protein. You can put some Greek yogurt in, too, if you like.)

There are a bunch of recipes for "freezer burritos" you can make ahead & freeze, too - another thing that you can Google & get a bunch of recipe options.

I'm sorry you have to go through this; it's a tough road.

Any chance you have friends or relatives or people from your church who'd be willing to prep something like this for you to keep in your freezer?

From having supported my husband through cancer, and later going through treatment myself, I know there tend to be people around who truly want to help . . . but many folks don't know what you really need. It helps them if you can be specific about needs, and it makes them feel good about themselves when they can help.

Wishing you strength for this difficult time!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hugs for you and Husband. I hope the chemo doesn't affect him too much.

jamie oliver does a feta-spinach pie in his 30 minute meals. I make them in large muffin tins (use baking paper/muffin cases cos they're a sod to get out). They taste great with baked beans, and can be eaten alone hot or cold. You can make it quicker by just putting the pastry on the top and not as a base as well. Or make the big version and just cut up into portions. They are pretty filling so i only have 1 muffin-pie.
    His other recipes in this series are good too, if you just make the main meal, and fridge/freeze the portions it'll take less than 30 mins to make (once you get used to the recipe of course, takes slightly longer when you've never done it before).

I also make large vats of soup, chilli, curry, lasagne cut into portions and freeze. But same can be done with bought stuff, we always have a tub of soup in the fridge for when we can't be bothered cooking, so we don't get takeaway.

If money isn't a huge issue, you could also try ready meals from musclefoods, their protein tubs taste good and are a whole meal, easy to make and are really good with protein pitabread. Or their be animal sachets are good too. Both very filling and not full of horrors. I have cheap-meat phobia (from childhood - made me a fussy eater) and the meat in these are up to standard for me, only once had a grisly bit.
    They aren't cheap but if you look at the price against the fact it's a main meal full of your daily goodies, and what you would pay if you had to buy it in a cafe etc.. it's pretty good money wise. Might be useful for times when you don't have time to cook but have access to a kettle (protein pots), or a microwave (be animal - these can also be eaten straight from the pack cold).

Hope that helps. Don't run yourself ragged, find the easiest healthiest option and sod everyone else! You and Husband come first.