StrongLifts 5x5

Options
I'm wondering if any of you have used the strongest 5x5 program and if so what you thought of it also wondering if anybody 45 years and older has used this program and what they thought of it

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 42 with StrongLifts. I loved it and started my passion for lifting. Eventually, I moved on to PHUL. I now have my own lifting equipment & use it 5x week. I guess you can say I really liked SL 5x5 :)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started with SL 5x5 last year, but switched to Starting Strength after about a month, at 46 I personally found 5x5 3 days a week hard to recover from. The 3x5 of Starting Strength fits me at a more advanced age.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and after doing some random lifting for the past year or so I have been doing SL for a few weeks, along with some supplemental exercises. I like it so far.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm 56. I did SL 5x5 for just under a year. I followed the program exactly (with the app). I pushed it heavy. The gains were very good, better than I thought would be for my age. I think that the volume of squats jump started & drove those gains (my gut feeling). Over time however, squatting 3 times a week caught up to me. My legs really started to hurt. I started deloading & skipping the squat. more experienced lifters suggested squatting only once a week. I'm now in the second week of 5/3/1. We'll see how it goes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SL 5x5 and Starting Strength 3x5 are good programs for beginners regardless of age.

I started SL at 62, did SS for awhile and am now doing my own thing. I can now lift at the Advanced and Elite levels for men my age/weight (based on various charts).

You'll gain strength (as measured by how much weight you can lift) quickly but with both programs you will eventually plateau when you get to the heavier weights.

That's when you're DONE w/those programs. Typically, this will take 4-6 months.

DO NOT bother to deload 10% and work your way back up, again and again. It's pointless and you will just end frustrated and feeling like a failure. When this happens, you need to switch to an Intermediate based program, like 5/3/1, the Texas Method or others.

If you have Rippetoe's Starting Strength (or better yet his Practical Programming) book, you'll find suggestions about how to go about doing this.

In the meantime, enjoy the quick gains in strength that you will experience using either program. Good luck!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Following! I'm 61 and about to start Strong Lifts
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    SL 5x5 and Starting Strength 3x5 are good programs for beginners regardless of age.

I started SL at 62, did SS for awhile and am now doing my own thing. I can now lift at the Advanced and Elite levels for men my age/weight (based on various charts).

You'll gain strength (as measured by how much weight you can lift) quickly but with both programs you will eventually plateau when you get to the heavier weights.

That's when you're DONE w/those programs. Typically, this will take 4-6 months.

DO NOT bother to deload 10% and work your way back up, again and again. It's pointless and you will just end frustrated and feeling like a failure. When this happens, you need to switch to an Intermediate based program, like 5/3/1, the Texas Method or others.

If you have Rippetoe's Starting Strength (or better yet his Practical Programming) book, you'll find suggestions about how to go about doing this.

In the meantime, enjoy the quick gains in strength that you will experience using either program. Good luck!

^Great post.
    I did SL 5x5 at 40yo, after no weight training for 10 years. Loved it. After about 4 months, progressed to MADCOW for a few more months. I've since hired a coach and gotten into powerlifting.
    As mentioned, after 4-6 months, evaluate your goals and move on to another program.
  • lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did StrongLifts together last summer, she was 44. She followed it exactly, and I did it 6 times a week. She's still continuing the program actually, but has not added extra weight, just wanted to maintain. She went from a 50lb bench to now a 80lb bench so it definitely works.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lauamy96 wrote: »
    My mom and I did StrongLifts together last summer, she was 44. She followed it exactly, and I did it 6 times a week. She's still continuing the program actually, but has not added extra weight, just wanted to maintain. She went from a 50lb bench to now a 80lb bench so it definitely works.

You did stronglifts 6x a week?!?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I started SLs at 40, and did it for about a year before I plateaued on it and moved to a more advanced program (Layne Norton's PH3). I have an abiding love for SLs!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

My thought, too! :o:#
  • lauamy96
    Options

Lol yeah, instead of resting every other day, Ijust did ABABAB and cardio on Sunday. I was determined haha.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking. Recovery time is just as important!
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Lol yeah, instead of resting every other day, Ijust did ABABAB and cardio on Sunday. I was determined haha.

Determined to get injured and not reach your strength/ muscle gain potential? Lol
  • lauamy96
    Options

Determined to get injured and not reach your strength/ muscle gain potential? Lol

Basically...
    I was new so I thought more = better. There wasn't a day I was not sore that summer lol.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    No wonder!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options

Basically...
    I was new so I thought more = better. There wasn't a day I was not sore that summer lol.

This tends to get in peoples head and it's the opposite. Inadequate recovery can slow gains. I honestly don't know how you could even walk.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do people follow a program, whether it for weights, or CICO, or whatever then think that they in their ignorance know better than a tested plan?? The programs I've looked at give detailed explanations of the why's and wherefores so it's not like there isn't info available. [Rant off.]
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why do people follow a program, whether it for weights, or CICO, or whatever then think that they in their ignorance know better than a tested plan?? The programs I've looked at give detailed explanations of the why's and wherefores so it's not like there isn't info available. [Rant off.]

Probably mostly due to the general stupidity that is put forth by magazines and bros like, "no pain, no gain" and other such nonsense. If you don't actually know, you hear it and go with it.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. Great program that is simple. Still use with added volume and accessories. I recently saw a Christopher Reeves interview on how he got in shape for Superman. He started training and was not getting anywhere. Then he switched trainers and they started a 5x5 basically. He saw huge gains etc. His new trainer was Darth Vader-David Prowse. :)