Need new scale - recommendations?

My scale has started act wonky. It gives a different number every time I step on and off. Sometimes the difference is a pound or more. Any recommendations for a good new one?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I recently bought a Withings Body Composition scale and I love it. I'll periodically test it out by stepping on and off and so far, the variance is only +/- .1 lb.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Careful on the stepping on and off and getting the same result. I figured out my scale would lie to me and just repeat the last weight if the weight change wasn't much.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale#latest
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I have a fitbit Aria and it syncs with mfp. I like it ok.

But if I move it around too much it will also give me different numbers.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Cafe Racer beat me to it... I recently received the Withings Body scale as well and its been great... plus it can sync with the Myfitness pal app so your data is auto updated.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    edited January 2017
    Ha i was just about to post basically this same exact thread, you just beat me by like 20 some minutes.
    Better i think to just add this in then duplicate.

The funny thing is when i googled "accurate weight scale" one of the top recommendations on the top site was the scale I already own (eatsmart precision plus). I know it's gone wonky because it has told me Im at least 1 pound down for three days in a row- and I dont have those 'whooshes' that some ladies experience, being post-hysterectomy. Not eating much different, so there's no way. I tested 10 pounds worth of hand weights, and once it decided to register them at all, then it decided they weighed 5 pounds. It has a "low" sign if the battery is low, and it's not doing that, so it must not be the batteries.
    Its a couple years old, guess that's all it's good for.

Are the type with a readout that sits up higher actually better? Or is the only really accurate ones the balance types, which are sort of a pain for daily use, since Im a daily weigher. (I know water weight will vary, but a pound a day, for three days? I am extremely skeptical of that.) Anyway I sure would prefer the type with a readout up in the air, if they are actually any better.

edit: After doing some reading thru old subject lines like this, I hope we can see some actual accurate/reliable scale recommendations, as opposed to everyone counseling that we don't actually need a scale. Perhaps so, but if we felt that way, we wouldn't be asking. =P
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    hablondi wrote: »
    My scale has started act wonky. It gives a different number every time I step on and off. Sometimes the difference is a pound or more. Any recommendations for a good new one?

Have u tried changing batteries? My scale was doing that until I changed them :)
  • ConnieT1030
    I tried changing the batteries on mine, despite the lack of an indicator, plus I warmed it up, as the bathroom where it's kept is unheated most of the time. It did decide the hand weights are 10 pounds now 10.2 after it calibrated itself, and with a .2 allowed variance on this model, it is essentially the same reading. It read me back at 1 pound down. Ill watch it awhile longer and see how it goes, especially seeing how my scale is in the top 3 of recommendations of two different websites I looked at :open_mouth:
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    I just changed the batteries in mine about a month ago.

ConnieT1030 - I am going to try your 10 pound weight test and see what happens. Good idea.
  • ConnieT1030
    hablondi wrote: »

ConnieT1030 - I am going to try your 10 pound weight test and see what happens. Good idea.

Keep in mind some scales have a minimum, if yours is higher than that it wont work. I read somewhere that at least one had a minimum of 35 pounds. On mine, i had to press on it a bit to get it to register the hand weights but then it adjusted down after it started.

You can always test a new set of batteries again just because, and of course dont throw away the ones you took out until you see if it makes any difference. Look up some reviews on the scale you have and see if others found it accurate. I tried again with mine because it came up so high in reviews. I think the cold is affecting mine also. (We dont have central heat.)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Careful on the stepping on and off and getting the same result. I figured out my scale would lie to me and just repeat the last weight if the weight change wasn't much.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10485204/dumb-scale-question-weight-watchers-scale#latest

Yes, mine does same thing. So now i do it a couple of times, setting up the error code after the first try on purpose, just to reset the number from the day before. Seems tobe more accurate this way.
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    My husband and I weigh every morning -- motivation! We had to travel for holidays and decided to buy a "cheap" scale to use for the 2 weeks we were away -- went to CVS -- the one we bought was digital and $10 -- and I liked it better than the much more expensive one we use at home! The CVS scale gave you the weight almost immediately -- the one we have at home makes you WAIT...like the Biggest Loser tv show -- lol!