Muscle does not weight more then fat

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @farrell16 Just wanted to say welcome, and please note you have wandered into a uniquely frustrating thread :) There are lots of super helpful people here, great conversations, and lots of great stuff to be learned, but on occasion specific threads will get a little ummmm... tense, LOL!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @farrell16 It's inaccurate because you have to ensure that you are weighing the object(s) in the same environment. As has been mentioned previously, a pound here on earth will be different than a pound on the moon. Or, more accurately I suppose, what weighs one pound here on earth will weigh ~ 0.1 pounds on the moon.

Since this thread is silly and overly-pedantic in the first place, I'm just having some fun with it.
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    @farrell16 It's inaccurate because you have to ensure that you are weighing the object(s) in the same environment. As has been mentioned previously, a pound here on earth will be different than a pound on the moon. Or, more accurately I suppose, what weighs one pound here on earth will weigh ~ 0.1 pounds on the moon.

Since this thread is silly and overly-pedantic in the first place, I'm just having some fun with it.

Lol fair enough... but a pound of fat and a pound of muscle will still weigh the same on the moon. But one weighed on the moon and one weighed on Earth would vary haha. But I'm glad we can agree it is tied to the force of an object caused by gravity. So I'll add that Caveat a pound of muscle and a pound of fat will both weigh a pound as long as measured on the same celestial body :)
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Wait - we can't agree. That's just not the MFP way...

:D
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    TR0berts is a perfect example to your last comment Lemurcat. Did you read what he said? lol.

Dnarules, depends on what your definition of a troll is. And I think a true troll who made the post and is stating facts and has a lot of people agreeing with him, would not have anyone agreeing with him or her if he or she was truly a troll. So, good luck with that. But if you are calling me a logical and factually correct troll, then THANK YOU!!!

Welcome farrell and be careful, it is easy to get sucked into the murky world of "Believe what I say and think, not what it real and true."

annaskiski, this thread continues because there is 'violent disagreement', which truly confounds me.

I see nothing wrong with healthy debates that ferret out misconceptions and offer up valid truths that we can all learn from and better ourselves by. But hey, that's just my twisted trolling logic and take..... :)
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Good point TR0berts, I will keep this in mind if I ever do my weigh-in on the moon...
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @farrell16 Just wanted to say welcome, and please note you have wandered into a uniquely frustrating thread :) There are lots of super helpful people here, great conversations, and lots of great stuff to be learned, but on occasion specific threads will get a little ummmm... tense, LOL!

Thank you Kimny72, glad to hear there are some good helpful people in the community as well. I haven't posted much until the last couple of weeks and you are correct it does seem like it can get quite heated. Although the people responding to my original post have been completely fine, different points of view but to each there own.

I'm a personal trainer by trade so really have the urge to assist others in this area, so if I can post once and awhile and maybe one post helps someone out then I'm good with that. The fitness industry is surrounded in fads and false advertisements so I encourage all to do their own research and come to your own conclusions but don't use youtube or random websites for that clinical data :)

Best of luck to all
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

(Of course, the misunderstanding implicit in "don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat" is equally offbase, but probably less obviously so to most. It's the idea that if you lost a particular volume of fat you are likely to have gained a similar volume of muscle, and of course that's not so -- to gain that much muscle volume in the time involved would be extremely difficult--impossible, in fact--in most cases we are talking about.)

@lemurcat12
    I cringe when I hear the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" - same reaction when I see "I want to loose weight" or "when I weight myself", "I literally died of embarrassment", or using "like" as like punctuation, like... ;)
    (Yes I do a lot of cringing!)

But these are all different:

(1) Loose is a misspelling (one that I agree is cringeworthy, in fact).

(2) Weight myself is almost certainly just a typo.

(3) Literally is commonly misused today and may be shifting in meaning or have as an alternative meaning not literally in an emphatic way: there was a great discussion of this (with lots of bemoaning of the misuse) in the Slate Lexicon Valley podcast a couple of years ago.

(4) Like is simply a slangy way of speaking that is most used by a demographic group not your own or seems too informal for some more formal uses where it is employed.

"Muscle weighs more than fat" assumes (as too obvious to be stated) that it is implied that we are discussing two things of equal volume, as why would we ever compare the weights of two things of equal weight? Seriously, why?
    To answer you question about what do I think....
    Option 1 - they are genuinely ignorant about the difference between density and weight. With the poor standard of science education ignorance simply isn't uncommon - that's not judgemental just stating that many people lack knowledge. A "calorie isn't just a calorie" is another example.

I disagree that they are ignorant of density vs. weight in the way you seem to be assuming (they think a lb of something is heavier than a lb of something else). They may not be able to use the term density (although many who say the phrase probably could and would use it correctly), but they could explain that they mean the same volume of both. Like, obviously, you know? (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

When people are confused about a calorie=a calorie, I think they don't understand that a calorie is a unit of measurement (which is why I think this is worth explaining). I think they genuinely see "calorie" as a synonym for food, which it is used as even by many who should know better (as this is confusing).
    Option 2 - they do mean to imply by volume but simply don't think using the appropriate terminology is important. A bit like saying "I weigh my food with spoons and cups". I happen to think using the right terminology only improves communication but am prepared to accept that I'm old-fashioned. There's not really a right and wrong on this. I think it's important to state things accurately but someone else might take the view "you know what I really mean so it doesn't matter". Wouldn't it be dull if we all thought the same way?

Okay, this I will accept, but then suggest that pedantically telling them something they probably already know isn't helpful and is insulting. Why not ask the question or make it clear the issue is not saying something you think needs to be said (and that I personally do not, and many others do not).
    Option 3 - they are mindlessly parroting a common phrase they have seen or heard and repeat it without even thinking whether it makes sense of not. Road safety campaigns use the slogan "speed kills" and it becomes part of common language although speed alone clearly doesn't kill.

I do think this is part of it, but not because they think they are comparing one lb to one lb (no one thinks that) but because they think the things they are comparing would have equal volume when they obviously would not -- that's what people should be called on, as well as they assumptions about how easy it is to build muscle.

Just my opinion, of course!

Gosh this thread is still limping along. It's quite entertaining!
    @lemurcat12 - missed your reply as you didn't tag me.

Ok I'm now perplexed.
    In the context of you complaining about people being pedantic and making assumptions about people's knowledge, or lack of knowledge, the bolded part above comes across as a very pedantic explanation of the differences between the items I listed. Wondering why you would you assume that a list of items that elicit the cringe response are the same or alternatively that I think they are the same? Surely you aren't leaping to an assumption about me? :)
    A list of foods I dislike would include cauliflower and caviar - you wouldn't respond "Aha! They aren't the same."

So I'm left pondering if this this a clever attempt at irony that doesn't come across too well in plain text perhaps?

By the way I don't correct people on the items listed, I've worked with too many people who are either dyslexic or simply just struggle to express themselves for myriad reasons (including ignorance) so tend to give people the benefit of the doubt or just let it go.
    Ignorance being used as a descriptive term not a pejorative term in case you wonder. My beloved Grandfather was a truly ignorant man as he had virtually no education through no fault of his own.

I am rather pedantic about the misuse of absolute terms such as impossible, must, can't etc. When used inappropriately they lead to confusion and also the denial of people's own experience. Those I do challenge in these forums.

Who exactly are you directing this rant at? I hope it's a general rant not directed at me.
    "Okay, this I will accept, but then suggest that pedantically telling them something they probably already know isn't helpful and is insulting."
    That is part of what leads me to hope your bolded response was ironic!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Could someone link the thread?

Found it! Here, @lemurcat12 , 7th reply.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36640231#Comment_36640231
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    slj, wow, so well said.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lemur, did you not read the other comments in this thread?

Yes, I did, and since no one said that 1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat, I am pretty sure you are misreading whatever it is you are referring to. If you'd quote it, we could discuss whatever it is.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts is a perfect example to your last comment Lemurcat. Did you read what he said? lol.

Which one? Because at this point I am positive you are misreading.

Serious question: do you not know how to quote someone?
  • TR0berts
    Options

Serious question: do you not know you to quote someone?

I think he was pointing to the tongue-in-cheek banter I was having with farrell regarding the weight for the same item being different on different planets/moons.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    To those who insist that muscle does not weigh more than fat because one LB of muscle is the same as one LB of fat (ignoring that volume is implied in the statement), I am truly curious:

Do you really think that other people are confused about whether one LB of something weighs the same as one LB of something else? When people say (incorrectly, obviously) that someone dieting for a few weeks and adding in some exercise might not have lost because muscle weighs more than fat, do you imagine that they think that 1 LB of muscle shows up as 2 LB on the scale or something?

Because it would never cross my mind that anyone could think something so weird. It's kind of insulting, really.

(Of course, the misunderstanding implicit in "don't worry, muscle weighs more than fat" is equally offbase, but probably less obviously so to most. It's the idea that if you lost a particular volume of fat you are likely to have gained a similar volume of muscle, and of course that's not so -- to gain that much muscle volume in the time involved would be extremely difficult--impossible, in fact--in most cases we are talking about.)

@lemurcat12
    I cringe when I hear the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" - same reaction when I see "I want to loose weight" or "when I weight myself", "I literally died of embarrassment", or using "like" as like punctuation, like... ;)
    (Yes I do a lot of cringing!)

But these are all different:

(1) Loose is a misspelling (one that I agree is cringeworthy, in fact).

(2) Weight myself is almost certainly just a typo.

(3) Literally is commonly misused today and may be shifting in meaning or have as an alternative meaning not literally in an emphatic way: there was a great discussion of this (with lots of bemoaning of the misuse) in the Slate Lexicon Valley podcast a couple of years ago.

(4) Like is simply a slangy way of speaking that is most used by a demographic group not your own or seems too informal for some more formal uses where it is employed.

"Muscle weighs more than fat" assumes (as too obvious to be stated) that it is implied that we are discussing two things of equal volume, as why would we ever compare the weights of two things of equal weight? Seriously, why?
    To answer you question about what do I think....
    Option 1 - they are genuinely ignorant about the difference between density and weight. With the poor standard of science education ignorance simply isn't uncommon - that's not judgemental just stating that many people lack knowledge. A "calorie isn't just a calorie" is another example.

I disagree that they are ignorant of density vs. weight in the way you seem to be assuming (they think a lb of something is heavier than a lb of something else). They may not be able to use the term density (although many who say the phrase probably could and would use it correctly), but they could explain that they mean the same volume of both. Like, obviously, you know? (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

When people are confused about a calorie=a calorie, I think they don't understand that a calorie is a unit of measurement (which is why I think this is worth explaining). I think they genuinely see "calorie" as a synonym for food, which it is used as even by many who should know better (as this is confusing).
    Option 2 - they do mean to imply by volume but simply don't think using the appropriate terminology is important. A bit like saying "I weigh my food with spoons and cups". I happen to think using the right terminology only improves communication but am prepared to accept that I'm old-fashioned. There's not really a right and wrong on this. I think it's important to state things accurately but someone else might take the view "you know what I really mean so it doesn't matter". Wouldn't it be dull if we all thought the same way?

Okay, this I will accept, but then suggest that pedantically telling them something they probably already know isn't helpful and is insulting. Why not ask the question or make it clear the issue is not saying something you think needs to be said (and that I personally do not, and many others do not).
    Option 3 - they are mindlessly parroting a common phrase they have seen or heard and repeat it without even thinking whether it makes sense of not. Road safety campaigns use the slogan "speed kills" and it becomes part of common language although speed alone clearly doesn't kill.

I do think this is part of it, but not because they think they are comparing one lb to one lb (no one thinks that) but because they think the things they are comparing would have equal volume when they obviously would not -- that's what people should be called on, as well as they assumptions about how easy it is to build muscle.

Just my opinion, of course!

Gosh this thread is still limping along. It's quite entertaining!
    @lemurcat12 - missed your reply as you didn't tag me.

Ok I'm now perplexed.
    In the context of you complaining about people being pedantic and making assumptions about people's knowledge, or lack of knowledge, the bolded part above comes across as a very pedantic explanation of the differences between the items I listed.

Surely anyone who reads my posts knows that I am pedantic. ;-)

What I don't think I did (and what I am actually complaining about) was say anything that suggested that I thought you were an idiot.
    Wondering why you would you assume that a list of items that elicit the cringe response are the same or alternatively that I think they are the same? Surely you aren't leaping to an assumption about me? :)

No, I wasn't. I thought the distinctions were interesting, though. (I do think your cringing at "muscle weighs more than fat" is based on an inaccurate assumption, that the person is unaware that 1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat or even that the person might be so stupid. But at this point I cringe at "1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat," so we are all cringing, no matter what! Win-win!
    A list of foods I dislike would include cauliflower and caviar - you wouldn't respond "Aha! They aren't the same."

I might pedantically discuss their differences if the discussion called for it, IMO.

More seriously, my detailed response to the things you mentioned was more because I find some of them cringeworthy too (although I wouldn't claim that was merited) and so thought pointing out shared reactions on some things might further a conversation on a friendly note. Seems the attempt failed!
    Who exactly are you directing this rant at?

It's not a rant. If you read it as a rant we aren't communicating.

I do personally cringe and find insulting when people explain to me information that I believe (and think they probably believe are facts that any not stupid or not completely uneducated person would know). It's probably a quirk of my own, I agree, but it comes across as rude to me, kittens me off, and is something I try to avoid (although I am sure I don't always, and so I do try to mock my own pedantic tendencies offline and sometimes online). For example, if I were having a conversation with someone at work and he mentioned going to a Bears game and felt compelled to explain "it's a team in the NFL" (I'm in Chicago, I go to Bears games sometimes), I'd probably make a little fun of him and his sexist assumption (or whatever, depending on who it is). Same if someone explained that Beethoven is a composer or that France is a country or the like. Explaining that 1 lb = 1 lb if someone says: "oh, don't worry about a final goal weight, it might be higher than you think if you are working on building muscle, as muscle weighs more than fat" seems to me the same thing. In context the statement may or may not make sense, but I would not suggest to someone that I think they are so incredibly dumb that they think there are special muscle lbs that are heavier on the scale than fat lbs or whatever is supposedly meant in the minds of those who feel compelled to make this correction.

(This last sentence was kind of ranty if you are keeping track.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Serious question: do you not know you to quote someone?

I think he was pointing to the tongue-in-cheek banter I was having with farrell regarding the weight for the same item being different on different planets/moons.

Hmm.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    lemur cat: CattofTheGa wrote

"Because it is not true. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat." Or takes up less space. Tomato tomahto.

Anyway, the other question is one I would like a good answer to. It's often said on here that it's completely impossible to gain muscle mass while on a deficit, but other sources say that some beginner gains are possible, though after that first stage it flattens out. What is the truth?

Also, what is the story with gaining strength on a deficit? It's clearly possible to gain a lot of strength and muscle endurance while in a deficit, I've done it myself. How is that actually possible without gaining muscle mass? And if you can get stronger without gaining mass, why does bulking matter? Is it purely an aesthetic thing, or is there a ceiling to how strong you can get without adding mass?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemur cat: CattofTheGa wrote

"Because it is not true. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat." Or takes up less space. Tomato tomahto.

Right. What this means:

(1) If you have equal volumes of fat and muscle, the muscle weighs more.
    (2) If you have equal weights of fat and muscle, the fat takes up more space.

What is does not mean:

(1) 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    lemur, was that clear enough? I am not doing anymore of your reading for you and will not try and help you understand this anymore. But I wanted to back up what I said and tell you what you refused to go back and read from someone else. Pretty sure there are more too, but that came off the first page. You can look through the rest yourself.

I will wait to see if you try and tell me that Catt did not say "Because it is not true. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat."

I read it several times, there are only 11 words, but maybe you can correct me on this as well. :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Also, what is the story with gaining strength on a deficit? It's clearly possible to gain a lot of strength and muscle endurance while in a deficit, I've done it myself. How is that actually possible without gaining muscle mass? And if you can get stronger without gaining mass, why does bulking matter? Is it purely an aesthetic thing, or is there a ceiling to how strong you can get without adding mass?

I answered this upthread -- yes, you can get stronger without adding mass.

Yes, there's a limit on it.

For more details, I defer to one of the many people in this thread with more knowledge than me about strength training and muscle building.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are lifting weights or doing 'muscle strengthening' exercises, the assumption would be that you are building muscle.

I am 5'10" and 202, down from 213. I need to be around 185. So are you saying that my every other day upper body weight training is not building ANY muscle while I am losing weight?

I am not arguing or disagreeing, I am trying to get an answer.

To carry that logic a bit further, if I am wanting to look like I looked before, which is tone with muscle, your logic says that I can't build muscle until I start eating more then my maintain weight, or when I am NOT in a deficit. Sorry, that just does not compute. Maybe someone can elaborate more on how this really is the case.

Why is it that I am already feeling muscle and some is already showing up? Is it just an illusion?

you will get newbie gains but that fizzles out after about six months to a year...and as you continue eating in a deficit you will more than likely lose more muscle, so more than likely they cancel each other out....

just remember that strength gains do not equal muscle gains...

the reason your "muscles" are showing more is less body fat + water retention = appearance of more muscle
This discussion has been closed.