Why am I constipated? :(

Options
2»

Replies

• wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fiber isn't the solution. Water and fats are. This is not to say we don't need fiber we do but in my experience as yourself what makes you have to take crap faster. Is it a huge salad or a nice fatty burger. It's the burger hands down winner. There are more healthy fats but we need animal fats, fish fats etc. Think of it as a lube lol ;)..
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Fiber isn't the solution. Water and fats are. This is not to say we don't need fiber we do but in my experience as yourself what makes you have to take crap faster. Is it a huge salad or a nice fatty burger. It's the burger hands down winner. There are more healthy fats but we need animal fats, fish fats etc. Think of it as a lube lol ;)..

That's funny! :) Might be true for me though--I guess I've been afraid to eat animal fats. I would definitely prefer to relieve my issue with food instead of pills. I took 400mg of the stool softener for a few days in a row but I don't feel comfortable with that as I don't want to rely on those to get things going.

Thanks for everyone's tips! I'll try increasing my healthy oil/fat intake and try to up my water consumption too.
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    Research soluble vs. insoluble fiber.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of fiber and water intake as well. Though, I attribute my high protein intake to me being full of *kitten*. Take it as you will, but it's not a lie.
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    I agree with the burger patty solution. Or eat more chicken if you prefer. Also, try FiberSure (plant fiber) but don't use the 1 tsp they suggest starting with. If you're stomach's not used to it it will give you the runs. Start with 1/8 tsp or 1/4 tsp and slowly work up to 1 tsp. It works well.

Just thought of one more thing that works for me Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Whipped Cream Cheese Spread. A couple of tablespoons seems to do the trick. I can't have wheat so I eat plant fiber instead.

Edited for the Primrose issue. I had to lay off of Primrose supplements a few years ago. They seemed to throw my system out of wack. You might be onto something there.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats? I've heard adding olive oil helps things.

I had issues post pregnancy, and the stool softeners did take a while (like several days) to actually work.

its true! Make sure you are getting enough fats in your diet. =) I had the same problem for a few days, and then ate a lamb steak and felt better xD
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    try warm prune juice, it works like a charm :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem, so it's good to hear of things I can do to get everything moving.
  • akninsas
    akninsas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The thing that always works for me is a venti skinny hazelnut latte from starbucks! I dont drink coffee very much, but when I feel like I need a little help, lets just say get things moving very quickly. and its only 3 points plus or 2 points on the old system.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Stress??

I've had bad constipation due to family stress.
    Bad to the point of almost not being able to walk.