Gaining muscle but not losing weight

Options
Along with watching my calories I have started exercising again. I feel great as a result but I'm getting really frustrated because while I know my measurements are shrinking a little I still haven't seen the scales tip in the direction I was hoping for (actually over the last few weeks I've gained a couple of lbs.!) Any ideas, suggestions, etc.? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• changeisgood55
    Options
    If you are eating correctly and exercising than the weight gain is muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so you may see a slight increase on the scale. It's a good thing because muscle burns fat. Just keep doing what you are doing. You're seeing a difference in inches so you know you're on the right track. Good luck!
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    Everyone thinks that muscle weighs more than fat, this is misconception. 1lb of muscle weighs the exactly the same as 1lb of fat. It is true that muscle is more dense than fat. If you are gaining muscle, trust me you are burning fat and inches.
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    same thing is with me...my scale hasnt moved for a month and a half almost 2 now! im still 159/160 and ive been doing 30 day shred so i have been building muscle and staying the same! im hoping my muscle burns my fat soon! O_O
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    I am the same, But really if I get to wear smaller clothes, feel better, look better, should I really care what the scale says? =) it will happen eventually.

I would rather see a reduction in fat and a gain in muscle tone before no change and a scale drop any day!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am in about the same boat! I'm interested to see what suggestions come up. My hubby who body builds just keeps telling me to keep doing what I'm doing and it should drop off. Something about slow being healthy.....

Still frustrated just the same!!! I've been watching my sodium more, but some days its really hard to keep lower than what it says on here. I've always drank more water than suggested.....
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It's probably just muscle gain though. Soon enough you'll start to see the fat ponds melting away. Lean muscle actually helps burn off fat.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't matter so much in the big picture, ESPECIALLY when you are putting in regular workouts. I've been at this over a year. I orginally wanted to lose 35 pounds. My ticker says I've only lost 15 pounds, but my body is entirely resculpted - So it's all good. :) Trust in the process! The scale, much like age, is just a number. Inches are what matters!

:flowerforyou:
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Change your workout....it help me....longer cardio sometimes help
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    Options
    Another thing, if you do more cardio than strength training, you will start to burn muscle instead of fat. So try to equal your cardio and strength training.
  • teachinhokie
    teachinhokie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!!!!

I took some of the suggestions you guys gave to heart! I kept at it but changed up what I was doing a good bit (actually cut back on how much I was doing and added a little more variety to my weekly workout routine.) After being stuck at 183 for what seemed like forever I have seen a dramatic change in the last few weeks and loving it all. I still feel great, still losing inches and now pounds too!

So excited and re-inspired . . . .Thanks for the suggestions and the support!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Not being mean, I promise....but I have to say this: gaining muscle mass is NOT that easy!

Sorry...I just had to say it. And if you eating a calorie deficit, you won't be gaining mass.

To the OP, just keep working hard and watching your diet. If you are doing those two things, you should start losing again. If not, explore some other options (cutting sugar lower, cutting carbs lower, making your workouts more intense, etc)
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    I am the same, But really if I get to wear smaller clothes, feel better, look better, should I really care what the scale says? =) it will happen eventually.

I would rather see a reduction in fat and a gain in muscle tone before no change and a scale drop any day!

I appreciate this thought. I have gotten a little frustrated but in 3 months I have lost 12 inches total and 16.5 lbs (didnt measure right away) so I am going to keep this in the front of my mind so I dont get discouraged. Thanks!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It wasn't gaining muscle, it was water retention. Your muscles retain water when you work out to help with repair, building actual muscle mass takes MONTHS and eating at a large calorie surplus to accomplish.