How much is too much

Options
Is this way too much or still safe? Should I stop multi-vitamin? I tried to google and didn't get a clear answer. You are all pretty much doctors anyway so I trust you.emt5z3zmkfq8.png

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Nah, I think you're fine. Remember our food doesn't have as many vitamins in it as MFP says, and our bodies only absorb a small portion of what you take in your MV. I wouldn't stress it.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I see you're getting a lot of potassium, which typically comes from nutrient dense foods like vegetables and sweet potato. If you're already eating a lot of vegetables there should be no need for vitamin supplementation. It's controversial whether or not multivitamins are even good for you. From what I've gathered, the current consensus appears to be that the occasional multivitamin is good for filling in any micronutrient gaps you may have, but regular use isn't needed.

I won't advocate what you should do, and I'll defer that to a dietitian or some other qualified expert, but I'll share that my approach to multivitamins is to take one on days when I'm not eating as many nutritionally dense foods as I normally do. That ends up being once or twice a week. I do not know if that is the right answer or not, and I'm looking forward to more progress in that area of nutritional science.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Water soluble vitamins are usually ok in excess. Fat soluble not always.
    Toxicity is a build up over time or extreme amounts within hours or a few days. Those deficient in certain vitamins will need more than others.

What is the source of the A and Iron? - just curious.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The worst you would get from overdosing vitamin C is some gastrointestinal upset, but it takes a whole lot more than that to reach that point. Vitamin A might be a concern if mostly from animal sources and you are consistently over by a lot so you may need to look into that. If from plant sources, the worst that could happen from consistent overdosing is that you might turn orange. Calcium can be a real issue, but in this example you're not overdosing it dangerously.

If you don't want to stop your multivitamin you will likely be fine, but it appears you are eating pretty nutritious foods so a pill on top may not be necessary anyway.
  • KerrieMac10
    KerrieMac10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Water soluble vitamins are usually ok in excess. Fat soluble not always.
    Toxicity is a build up over time or extreme amounts within hours or a few days. Those deficient in certain vitamins will need more than others.

What is the source of the A and Iron? - just curious.

I took the multi this morning but I eat tons of veggies. You can add me and check out diary if you want to!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If you have a diverse and nutritionally sound diet you probably don't need a multivitamin. But a lot of people swear by them regardless of their diet.
    Read about the specific vitamin toxicity levels to ease your concerns or give you a heads up.
    If there is a particular one/few you need you could always take them individually

I'm deficient in D so I take that but get my other requirements from my food.
  • shadowlike
    shadowlike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Remember that water soluble vitamins aren't even possible to digest if eaten in large doses. You will pee or sweat them, before they can be digested. That's why it is better to take in multivitamins in smaller doses, portioned throughout the day. So if you eat a vitamin reach meal with a lot of veggies, you won't be able to get all the benefits from them.