Push-ups

Options
So, I've been following a structured lifting programme for 12 weeks now, and there's no question I'm getting stronger, my lifts are getting bigger pretty much every week. But I still can't do full push-ups!! My sticking point is on the way up, I can't seem to get up from the floor without piking my hips. Can someone tell me which muscles I need to concentrate on strengthening, specifically for this goal?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Start against a wall, increasing the distance of your feet from the wall to increase difficulty. Next progression is at a slight incline on a sturdy desktop or something. Then on the floor but on your knees. Then regular. It might take a while to work up.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'd guess the bench press is the most beneficial lift for push ups. Melanie gave some great advice to help you along your path too! When I started lifting, pull ups and chins were my nemesis, after a year of really working hard with the weights I'm finally getting much stronger faster on them. Work on it and give it some time, you'll be a beast before you know it!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One of the best uses for a Smith machine is as a graduated push up training tool. Adjust the height of the bar to match your current strength level so you can do fulll plank push-ups with good form. You can move it down in small increments as you improve.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    work on your lats and triceps also, they are used in pushups. Triceps triceps triceps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    rock solid core and legs. not that i can do them either.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you're having to pike your hips it's your core that's the weak link. Remember to squeeze your glutes and brace like someone is going to punch you. Do some hardstyle planks, glute brides and work on your hollow body holds. And follow the height progressions people listed above.
  • christopherpwhitworth
    Options
    Try using a fitball for as many exercises as you can. Either sat upright or lying down. Increases core too. There are so many levels you can work to. Like isolating one sie of the body to lift. One leg off the floir increses core workout as you have to balance.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I currently bench press 45lb, and do triceps kickbacks with 35lb. I think my core is pretty strong, I can hold a plank for two minutes easily. I feel like it's more around my armpit/chest that's the weak point, pecs, is it? Is that possible?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I currently bench press 45lb, and do triceps kickbacks with 35lb. I think my core is pretty strong, I can hold a plank for two minutes easily. I feel like it's more around my armpit/chest that's the weak point, pecs, is it? Is that possible?

These numbers are confusing. If you can do kickbacks with 35lbs your bench number should be higher. As far as the plank, I would beed to see a vid of you doing it for 2 minutes to check your form...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

These numbers are confusing. If you can do kickbacks with 35lbs your bench number should be higher. As far as the plank, I would beed to see a vid of you doing it for 2 minutes to check your form...

I would agree, the numbers don't match up.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Sorry, typo. Bench press 55lb.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time. Push ups are more technique than strength so keep working on it.

As an idea for progression try leaning towards a wall and doing a press up (these should be very easy), then use a bench or step and get into a press up position with your hands on the step (this should be harder). When you are comfortable with the incline press ups on the bench and can do several reps, you can try "sissy" press ups (on your knees) before moving to a full press up.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Give yourself time. Push ups are more technique than strength so keep working on it.

As an idea for progression try leaning towards a wall and doing a press up (these should be very easy), then use a bench or step and get into a press up position with your hands on the step (this should be harder). When you are comfortable with the incline press ups on the bench and can do several reps, you can try "sissy" press ups (on your knees) before moving to a full press up.

Thanks, you're always so encouraging! I can do knee push-ups no problem.

I did have a thought - I have very hyper mobile elbow joints, and they give me a lot of trouble, so I wonder if that's a factor here. I lack stability when my arms are fully extended, and they ache most of the time.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Then don't go to the floor. Go to 90 degrees/arms parallel with back and floor. There's no practical reason to go all the way to the floor... and it compromises the core tension that you got from starting at full up.

in other words rest up not down.
  • trudie_b
    Options
    Then don't go to the floor. Go to 90 degrees/arms parallel with back and floor. There's no practical reason to go all the way to the floor... and it compromises the core tension that you got from starting at full up.

in other words rest up not down.

Oh, I'll do that, thank you!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    . . . I still can't do full push-ups!! My sticking point is on the way up, I can't seem to get up from the floor without piking my hips. ]Can someone tell me which muscles I need to concentrate on strengthening, specifically for this goal?
    I think my core is pretty strong, I can hold a plank for two minutes easily. I feel like it's more around my armpit/chest that's the weak point, pecs, is it? Is that possible?

The primary muscles used in push-ups are the pecs, deltoids, triceps and the core/body stabilizers. You lift approximately 2/3rds of your bodyweight when you to a standard plank pushup from the toes (not knees).

A push-up is basically a bench press in reverse. While there are certain advantages to doing a bench press (BP) that make it easier to do as a closed chain exercise, people can theoretically lift as much weight doing a push-up as they can doing a BP. So, if you can BP at least 2/3rd's of your body weight, you should also be able to do a push-up.

The exercises you can do to increase your push up strength would include (but are not limited to), the BP (as well as the incline press to specifically strengthen the upper pecs), the overhead press (OHP), dips (any/all variations) and shoulder raises (forward, in particular).

The fact that you are lifting your hips on the way up has nothing to do w/a weak core. You're just trying to cheat the lift by raising your hips (like someone would try to lift their legs doing pull ups) because your upper body isn't strong enough to complete the movement.

Your core stabilizers just keep your body straight and are not principally involved in doing a push-up. In other words, they are under no significant muscular stress during the movement.

If you can hold a plank for 2 mins, your core is strong enough but, if you think you need additional core work, the best exercises for that would be any of the 4 major compound lifts, including the BP and OHP (already mentioned) as well as SQTs and DLs.

FWIW, few woman can to full straight plank pushups from the toes. While women (on average) have weaker upper bodies than men, I don't think women are physically incapable of doing them. I think it's mainly that women who can't do them have failed to adequately train to do them.

Just like pull-ups, if you set your objective as being able to do a certain # of push-ups and you engage in a program to build the strength necessary to do them, I believe you eventually will.

It just takes time, dedication and determination. Absent any serious injuries or disabilities, if you want it bad enough, you should be able to achieve it.

Good luck!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    here's no practical reason to go all the way to the floor... and it compromises the core tension that you got from starting at full up.

It is not a complete plank push-up if you do cannot touch your chest to the floor. It's the same thing as not squatting to at least parallel. In other words, it's bad form because it's not a full range of movement.

Granted this can be stressful on the elbows and shoulders and, if you have problems there, going close to the ground would probably be good enough. If "good enough" is good enough for you, then so be it.

See, for example: http://www.builtlean.com/2011/02/23/how-to-proper-push-up-form/
  • trudie_b
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The primary muscles used in push-ups are the pecs, deltoids, triceps and the core/body stabilizers. You lift approximately 2/3rds of your bodyweight when you to a standard plank pushup from the toes (not knees).

A push-up is basically a bench press in reverse. While there are certain advantages to doing a bench press (BP) that make it easier to do as a closed chain exercise, people can theoretically lift as much weight doing a push-up as they can doing a BP. So, if you can BP at least 2/3rd's of your body weight, you should also be able to do a push-up.

The exercises you can do to increase your push up strength would include (but are not limited to), the BP (as well as the incline press to specifically strengthen the upper pecs), the overhead press (OHP), dips (any/all variations) and shoulder raises (forward, in particular).

The fact that you are lifting your hips on the way up has nothing to do w/a weak core. You're just trying to cheat the lift by raising your hips (like someone would try to lift their legs doing pull ups) because your upper body isn't strong enough to complete the movement.

Your core stabilizers just keep your body straight and are not principally involved in doing a push-up. In other words, they are under no significant muscular stress during the movement.

If you can hold a plank for 2 mins, your core is strong enough but, if you think you need additional core work, the best exercises for that would be any of the 4 major compound lifts, including the BP and OHP (already mentioned) as well as SQTs and DLs.

FWIW, few woman can to full straight plank pushups from the toes. While women (on average) have weaker upper bodies than men, I don't think women are physically incapable of doing them. I think it's mainly that women who can't do them have failed to adequately train to do them.

Just like pull-ups, if you set your objective as being able to do a certain # of push-ups and you engage in a program to build the strength necessary to do them, I believe you eventually will.

It just takes time, dedication and determination. Absent any serious injuries or disabilities, if you want it bad enough, you should be able to achieve it.

Good luck!

This is SO helpful, thank you so much!!!!!!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    here's no practical reason to go all the way to the floor... and it compromises the core tension that you got from starting at full up.

It is not a complete plank push-up if you do cannot touch your chest to the floor. It's the same thing as not squatting to at least parallel. In other words, it's bad form because it's not a full range of movement.

Granted this can be stressful on the elbows and shoulders and, if you have problems there, going close to the ground would probably be good enough. If "good enough" is good enough for you, then so be it.

See, for example: http://www.builtlean.com/2011/02/23/how-to-proper-push-up-form/

Actually yeah, it is.

And touching your chest to the floor, isn't the same as starting from the floor.

Also, that suggests that those with more expansive chests require a shorter range of motion for a correct push up.

Finally, what you're suggesting is the same as saying ATG squats are the only correct form.

90 degrees or arms/back/shoulders in a tabletop is the equivalent of a standard form squat. Hyperextending shoulders or pidgeonwinging elbows in order to hit an erroneous standard.

OH, and your the photos and text in your link disagree with you. Just FYI.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I still don't find push ups easy and I've been strength training for a few years consistently...I think some people find them easier than others?