Garmin Vivoactive HR

Options
Hi All,

I dunno if this is the right forum for my question, please excuse me if it isnt.

I recently purchased the new Garmin Vivoactive HR and have a question regarding the calories it posts to MFP. I have noticed that if i activate an activity such as running on the watch it will log my calories for that event. Same for biking etc. I have also noticed that during these activities my step count is also being affected and i get calories posted based on my step count for the day.

Now my concern is that im being "rewarded" for both the excercise and steps, wouldnt the calories given to me for steps already be given to me for the running :s

Thanks

Replies

• BigSyxx
    BigSyxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe that it is not rewarding you for both. I have a Garmin Vivofit, it shows the workout and Total Steps with a subheading of Caloric adjustment.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think so either.

I say this as I have Mapmyfitness sync'd with my activity tracker and I used to have both sync'd with MFP...it would deduct calories from my activity tracker and give it to the activity logged from Mapmyfitness....

I disabled the Mapmyfitness to MFP sync as I prefer to just have one adjustment and trust my activity tracker.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Connect platform discounts the steps from your calorie count when they're contemporaneous with your tracked activity.

You're not getting double credit.
  • jdgboxing
    jdgboxing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My wife got me the Vivoactive HR for Father's Day. I absolutely love it. Still trying to get used to the syncs.
  • MB1306
    MB1306 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jdgboxing wrote: »
    My wife got me the Vivoactive HR for Father's Day. I absolutely love it. Still trying to get used to the syncs.

Agree, loving the watch, just skeptical around the numbers its pushing out. Moved over from a fitbit - non HR, so maybe im just used to those numbers. Today its telling me i burned close to 2000 active calories :D
  • jdgboxing
    jdgboxing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can see that, but I don't think they're ridiculously off. Still pretty cool though right!?
  • parsleyfish
    parsleyfish Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've recently purchased the vivoactive hr and the numbers are crazy! Today I was at a spin class and tracked the activity on my Harmon, now after moving about all day I have over 7000 steps but mfp has deducted a fair chunk of my calories for excercise, I'm not getting it!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It doesn't reward you for steps as much as it makes an adjustment to compensate for the difference between what MFP predicts you will burn, and what your watch says you actually burn during the day.

In the beginning I used to dissect and overanalyze all the numbers and drove myself crazy. Eventually I just accepted them, and it's actually worked out quite well. IMO if you're going to use a fitness tracker but not trust the numbers, it just makes it an expensive and ugly watch.
  • lailalakhaniali
    lailalakhaniali Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recently got this watch too and i'm worried it's giving me too much "credit" in the calorie adjustment even on days i don't work out and especially on days I do. For example, on a day i didn't work out (and I have a desk job so pretty sedentary life), it says my resting calories are ~2,100 (which is my BMR) but that my active calories were 700, making my total calorie burn ~2800, which seems high to me. If i eat 2,800 calories, i feel as if I'll gain weight. Thoughts? Is it reasonable to assume that on a fairly non-exercise day, that i could have a 2,800 burn? I guess I always assumed my BMR included both surviving, breathing, and such but also included basic moving around, nothing beyond the basic. Not true?
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    One thing I'm noticing is that I don't think it makes a distinction between sedentary calories (i.e the type that your calorie limit is set on) and exercise calories (i.e what you're able to consume above your usual calorie goal)

For instance, it's 12PM here, I've done 2830 steps and based on the measurements within Garmin Connect, it believes I've now burned a total of 3366 calories; of which it believes around 1800 are "exercise" above sedentary.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've got the same watch and, as long as you have negative adjustments turned on, it will track through to MFP pretty accurately. The double counting for activities is a VivoSmart thing (still pisses me off).

I've played around with the settings on both GC and MFP. I also use the treadmill with a Polar H7 strap. What comes through to MFP is ~10% high compared to my chest strap for a specific activity (treadmill time).

@lailalakhaniali BMR is pretty much coma. I'm thinking your NEAT would be 2100 (mine is ~ 2700, but I'm 6', 275 lbs).

Today, for example, MFP give me 1670 cals (2 lb weight loss). Add to that my exercise calories from a tracked activity of 325 (polar said 304) this morning and another 212 from general activity over sedentary. 5,000 steps for the day so far and it does seem about right. When I check right after being on the treadmill, I had zero adjustment for the day other than the exercise activity.

You need to play with your activity level in GC as well as setting your level in MFP. If things seem a bith high, set the GC activity level higher.

@mb1306 what have you done today?