Food weighing question

Options
So I have been using a food scale for a while but have never had anything this off before.

It was Oreida Onion Rings. Says 5 pieces or 81 grams = 180 calories. I weighed out 5 pieces and it was only 42 grams. Could I be misinterpreting this or can it really be this off? I've had slight differences before. (Usually to my benefit!). But half the calories seems like I missed something.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Did you weigh them after cooking? If so, that probably explains the difference.

As silly as it sometimes seems, frozen food servings are listed as the uncooked weight (unless the label specifically says something like cooked or as prepared). If you weigh after cooking, they've lost a good chunk of moisture.

~Lyssa
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did weigh it after. I don't eat that stuff that often but I make a big batch. I'm going to have to weigh and count before I put in. And then not allow my children to steal my onion rings since I already counted them!!! That's a pain.

Thanks
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    I did weigh it after. I don't eat that stuff that often but I make a big batch. I'm going to have to weigh and count before I put in. And then not allow my children to steal my onion rings since I already counted them!!! That's a pain.

Thanks

Or weigh it before and then weigh the whole thing after. That will tell you how much the weight changes. Then you should be able to figure out what a weighted portion cooked would be equal to uncooked.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The weight on the bag will be before cooking unless it specifies cooked. The piece count is an average, you could have 5 pieces that weight 42 grams or 5 pieces that weigh 120 grams.

Best thing to do would be to weigh all you're cooking then divide it by the number of servings you plan. It won't be exact for each serving but will average out in the end.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. See how much is lost on total and take a percentage of the after weight.

And kids don't think you use algebra in real life.