Ok I finally understand what it's like not to be able to meet my calorie goal (but I have strep)

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I promise there is a question here. I'm on day 3 of strep, taking an antibiotic. I had a couple of feverish, miserable days but today I've just been resting, lethargic. I panicked when I found out I was sick because I knew I couldn't work out to increase my calorie allowance. Not an issue! I haven't been nauseated or anything, but I also haven't been hungry.

I've fed myself at every mealtime, but I've only been hungry for a fraction of what I'd usually eat. Today, I'm only at 800 calories after dinner! I plan to have a snack, as always, after the kids go to bed (it's my ritual), but there's no reason I have to eat all the way up to 1200 or 1250 (my net target) while I'm sick. Right? I can take advantage and bank a few for when my appetite comes back (likely with a vengeance)?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to make sure you've met your calorie goals. You do need to keep your body well hydrated and try to eat something that tastes good, soups, broth, juices. And, just sleep.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup- Do whatever you have to do to heal your body and get on top of the infection. :) If you don't feel up to eating 1200 (it's hard when swallowing feels like your throat is on fire!), just make sure you stay hydrated and get lots of vitamins. :)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat soup and milkshakes when I have strep. Staying hydrated is obviously important. What about popsicles?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The common wisdom is to feed a cold and starve a fever. I am not a doctor, so do what your doctor and body are telling you. For example I had mono with a sore throat, but not strep. As a result I lost no weight, but my friend who had mono dropped 10-15 lbs due to strep and lowered appetite.

Just make sure you are at least getting vitamins. Bananas, avocados, grapes, soup, whatever works. Your body will heal faster if it has fuel for that.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I just don't worry about it when I'm sick, in either direction. I give my body what it asks for.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I have been sick too and I haven't met my calorie goal for 4 out of the past 5 days. I'm sure when I'm healthy again, I will want to eat and if I go over by like 200 calories per day, it would balance out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I just don't worry about it when I'm sick, in either direction. I give my body what it asks for.

Same. I remember being sick for 4 days and living on Wheat Thins and freeze pops.