Beginning again, feeling discouraged

Options
peonypinkteapot
peonypinkteapot Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm two months post partum and exclusively breastfeeding my baby. I've read that burns an extra 300-800 calories. So I've allotted 300 because I don't want to over estimate. But it seems like I'm SO hungry all the time especially at night after supper. I'm exercising once a day and running around after my toddler. The last couple of evenings I've been going over my calories and eating stuff that's as close to junk food as I have in the house. After my first baby I lost 60 lbs through MFP and exercise and I'm super frustrated that I have 40 lbs to lose to get back there again. I also don't remember being this hungry all the time. I drink tons of water already. I'm scared I won't stick with this, I don't want to be the fat and unhealthy mom. Any advice or encouragement is much appreciated!

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You might want to allot yourself more like 500 extra calories for breastfeeding, especially if you are exclusively nursing. I didn't drop down to 300 extra a day until my babies were established on solids (around 7-8 months). Also with only 40 lbs to lose you'll want to take it slow - 1 lb per week is a good number for a nursing mother to aim for.

And don't fret too much - I know it's cliche, but the saying "nine months on, nine months off" held pretty true for me! I mean, it's a cliche for a reason ;)

Make sure you are eating enough fat, protein, and fiber; that can help with satiety. And eat back at least some of your exercise calories (generally half is a good starting point).
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating each day? Are you eating back some exercise calories? What are your stats?
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A wise momma I know told me not to even think about "weight management " or structured exercise until the babe is sleeping through the night. You are sleep deprived, caring for a newborn and chasing a toddler. That is enough to deal with for now.
    I second the advice of ensuring adequate protein, fat and fiber for satiety. Try to keep some quick, convenient healthy snacks around to grab if you need to and don't feel guilty about it.
    Lastly, don't be in too much of a rush! The weight loss will come in time, just take care of your self and your wee ones. All the best to all of you!
  • peonypinkteapot
    peonypinkteapot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies! Stats are 5"5 and 201 lbs. I have a large frame and muscular legs so at 160lb I was quite slim. I am eating back pretty much all of my exercise calories and then some most days. So anywhere between 2000-2300 per day. I think you're all right, I just need to be more patient. I think I'll google high protein foods because I think you're all right, I might need to up my protein intake.