Which one do you pay the most attention to? Do you count calories, fat, carbs or sugars?

Options
Okay, so I know in order to maintain a brand new healthy lifestyle it's kinda important to take note of all these things (carbs, calories, sugar, fat ect..) but does anyone solely focus on just one more than the other? Lately I've been focusing a lot on my carbs, because the majority of the fat and sugar I consume come from meats like chicken or fruits like apples, banana's and such..so I don't think they are as the fat and sugar you find in candy bars, and and other sweets/fatty foods that are processed....anyone else do this?

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Calories. Calories. Calories. Then move to macro balances (carbs/protein/fat). But ruling all - calories.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do keep an eye on protein and fat, as in I try to hit the minimums per day. I found over time that I am more satiated when protein and fat were higher than carbs and thus I was less likely to go over. Most people find the right balance for themselves if they stick with it a while.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Calories...kind of. I don't freak out if I go a bit over my 1200. However, I always try to hit my protein & fiber as they keep me full. I also tend to watch my sodium, because otherwise, I have to drink a ton of water, and my eyes get all swollen from the salt.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    Calories ... it's all about the calories.

Although I will have a glance at protein now and then because I do tend to be a bit low.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    In order of importance to me...Calories, carbs (low), fats (high), protein (goal).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I have a calorie maximum and minimums for fiber, fat and protein. I don't worry about carbs or sugars.... let them fall where they may.

This is exactly what I do. Obviously, calories are the most important thing to focus on when trying to lose weight. But I've found that if I hit my protein and fiber goal for the day, it's much easier for me to hit my calorie goal because for me, more protein and fiber equals less snacking. But as always, YMMV.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know in order to maintain a brand new healthy lifestyle it's kinda important to take note of all these things (carbs, calories, sugar, fat ect..) but does anyone solely focus on just one more than the other? Lately I've been focusing a lot on my carbs, because the majority of the fat and sugar I consume come from meats like chicken or fruits like apples, banana's and such..so I don't think they are as the fat and sugar you find in candy bars, and and other sweets/fatty foods that are processed....anyone else do this?

Depends on goals.

Are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? Calories matter for that, and beyond that I'd say eat a healthful diet (specific numbers of carbs/fats/protein don't matter for that), and keep your protein at a level that minimizes muscle loss (.8 g per lb of healthy goal weight is a good estimate). So personally I watch calories, protein, and overall diet (but not the numbers).

If you are struggling with hunger or energy or some such, I'd play around with macros (carbs/fat/protein). Track them for a while, see what they are, and then experiment with varying them and see how you feel. I do find that macros affect how satisfied I feel somewhat lately, but this varies by person. For a lot time I saw no need to track fat or carbs so long as I got my protein in (I mean, I tracked them, but I didn't care).

If you want to track things related to a healthful diet, the most useful one is probably fiber. The problem with sugar is that it's all sugar, and you really understand more about your diet just by making sure you are getting in protein, healthy fats (stuff like nuts and seeds, fatty fish, avocado, olives), and fiber. If you have enough of those and look over your diet and are honest with yourself, you are probably good.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,761 Member
    Options
    Assuming things are setup sanely, if you don't eat to your caloric goals you won't meet your weight goals... simple as that.

Beyond that I suggest that you meet a protein minimum that exceeds the RDA by about 2x. This assumes you're eating at a deficit, or are exercising for performance, or are not sedentary. Note that these were all OR statements :-).
    AND that you don't have current or hidden kidney issues. (That last one was an AND!) Such a minimum is often expressed as... what MFP suggests you consume by default.

Beyond that I suggest that as a woman you meet a .35g per lb at goal weight within normal weight range fat minimum. Try to avoid saturated fats when achieving this, including coconut based on the various national heart association recommendations. MFP tends to suggest a bit more than that. There is nothing wrong with eating more than .35g per lb of healthy fats, the number is my suggested minimum!

Eat at least 26g of fiber (males 38g).

Keep added sugars as low as you feel like and is consistent with long term success.

Eat what makes you happy and satiated within your caloric goals.

Meet or exceed the WHO recommended exercise minimums.

Have fun!
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein. Dont pay attention to anything else.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I really only track calories for weight loss and maintenance. I don't often look at my protein numbers, but I do tend to try to eat a good amount of protein to get full sooner and stay full longer.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I focus on calories and take note of protein, although I rarely ever make mine. May eventually, right now i just make sure I stay under the calorie limit and try not to eat all candy :D

for the other commenters- OP didn't ask what she SHOULD do, she just asked if anyone else only focused on a couple areas and disregarded the others. The answer is yes, many do! Why or why not isn't really the question.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I pretty much watch calories first, then protein then the other macros and then fiber and sodium.