Do you think I'm too skinny?

Options
Will be deleting this soon but I have struggled with anorexia since I was 17 and I am now 20 and have been recovered for about half a year. I still get remarks saying that I'm "too skinny" and I myself am also thinking maybe I should gain more weight? I would like to be a bit curvier. I'm currently 5'2.5 and weigh 51kg. Any ideas how much weight I should gain? 0bkadzxcrp94.png

Replies

• slong12041989
    slong12041989 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you think you're underweight? Does your doctor think you're underweight? If you are healthy and happy, doesn't matter what some people on the internet think!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone should be pointing out your weight to you. I believe your beautiful either what you decide for yourself. Live up to your expectations and not what others think you should be. Be healthy and happy. There will always someone out there to bring you down. Just be beautiful inside and out. Ignore those stupid comments.
  • matthelmet
    matthelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is appropriate. Seems you shouldn't be worried.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your weight, but not with how your body looks, try weight training! A program like Strong Curves might be what you're looking for.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "Does your doctor think you're underweight? If you are healthy and happy, doesn't matter what some people on the internet think!"

Totally this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The healthy weight range for your height would be 46-63 kg. Stay within that range and find your happy place.
    Try strength training to change your shape instead of just gaining.
    Talk to your health care providers about it.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You look fine to me. I'm the same sort of build slim and you honestly don't make me feel fat. As long as you're feel healthy and honest with yourself then I think you look perfectly fine
  • sims92
    sims92 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. You're 112 lbs and 5'3, which is good.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is in the normal range, so that part is fine. Does your doctor think you should gain weight? If not, then how you wish to look is the only thing that matters. Do you like the way you look now? Forget what people are saying and just stay just the way you are. Do you think you would like your look better if you gain more? You may be too skinny for your own liking, and that is fine. It's okay to have aesthetic preferences as long as they don't interfere with health. You have room to gain some weight if you wish.

Be very careful with that, though, and keep a professional involved if you decide to gain weight. For some people recovering from eating disorder, even if they prefer a curvier look, the mere sight of scale numbers going up may trigger a relapse.
  • TheBetterBecky
    TheBetterBecky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think you look skinny. I think you look thin but not too thin. The most important thing to me though isn't what you weigh right now it is that you are healthier!!!! Yay! I would listen to your Dr. and try to just be healthy which you are :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    By all means gain some weight if YOU want to, but don't do it because other people say you should.

ETA, other than if a doctor told you to
  • whiskey5jda2008
    whiskey5jda2008 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Google says you are right about where you should be.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what your eating disorder treatment team says. If they are telling you to gain more I'd do it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think you look too skinny. Your BMI is in the healthy range.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Will be deleting this soon but I have struggled with anorexia since I was 17 and I am now 20 and have been recovered for about half a year. I still get remarks saying that I'm "too skinny" and I myself am also thinking maybe I should gain more weight? I would like to be a bit curvier. I'm currently 5'2.5 and weigh 51kg. Any ideas how much weight I should gain? 0bkadzxcrp94.png

You look beautiful. Work on eating healthy and maybe build some muscles.
  • Bridogg72
    Bridogg72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No
  • leesagagliardi
    leesagagliardi Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I won't make any comment regarding your weight as I have no qualifications to base an opinion. But any progress in beating an eating disorder regardless of how small deserve a huge pat on the back. Well done Hun.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 40 and have struggled with anorexia since I was 18. The best advice I can give you is stay within a healthy weight range, something that you and your doctor are comfortable with, and then try to put it out of your mind. Personally, I think you look amazing and I wish you all the best on your recovery journey.