fitbit calorie burn accuracy

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a Fitbit Charge HR. I have been wearing it for a little while I find my calorieburn so much I higher than I assumed

Replies

• dperret1975
    dperret1975 Posts: 21 Member
    Shoot..... pushed the wrong button.....
    Anyway, My average calorie burn now without sports activities is between 2150 and 2300 a day. I am 5.6, weigh 140 pounds, 41 years old. I am pretty muscular (my build and have always done sports) and move around a lot; with my 3 kids, household, groceries etc.
    Even though I am sure I am not sedentary I do find it high for a pretty average woman.

Does this seem high to you guys too or are there women out there who burn like me???
  • red_selene
    red_selene Posts: 1 Member
    Hey there,

Same here, what the Fitbit says seems high to me! Got the Charge HR as well. I average out at 1950 kcal a day. My workouts are mostly bodyweight exercises and yoga, which doesn't burn a lot of calories (the software doesn't even register it as "active minutes" *lol*), and I'm very much sedentary for the rest.
    I'm 5"3, 29 years, 141 lbs, not currently very muscular (work in progress ...), so 1950 seems like a lot to me. However, I do base my calorie deficit on that, and I do get my 1 lb a week off, so I guess it must be close enough!
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    I just got one yesterday and i have to say i thought it was high especially for steps calories. That said i have been using a Microsoft band for 18 months and did my first weights workout using the Charge 2 yesterday, the kcals burned was comparable.
    Ultimately if you work out your TDEE using the Katch McCardle method, factor in your exercise/activity levels via the right profile and eat in a defecit you will lose weight.
    I use my trackers as guides only as one thing they do not do is factor in lean body mass.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    It's definitely not 100% accurate, but it's obviously close enough, because I've done better at losing since I got mine than I did before.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'm surprised. I did a 21km hike today and my daily total was a calorie burn of 2662 A 29km bike ride gave me 627 calories. Your 2150 without exercise seems too high I have a Fitbit Charge 2 HR
  • dperret1975
    dperret1975 Posts: 21 Member
    I do walk at least 10.000 steps a day which I don't consider exercise...
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    I've noticed that people logging exercise via Fitbit have burn estimated much greater than database entries for similar exercises (walking, running).

• KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    I've always found my fitbit burn estimates to be high, so I adjust half of the daily burn back by putting a 'fitbit adjust' entry into my food logs (it's in the database already). That gives a healthy margin of error.
  • unsuspectingfish
    lizery wrote: »
    I've noticed that people logging exercise via Fitbit have burn estimated much greater than database entries for similar exercises (walking, running).

Mine actually does the opposite, tbh.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    It's a known issue with the Fitbit Charge 2/HR. It looks at your HR constantly and calculates calories burned based on that. When my HR rises for whatever reason, even if I'm just sitting down, it'll show as more calories burned.

I've had mine since september and my conclusion is: When using it for exercises with HR the calorie count is pretty accurate - about the same as on numerous other websites (paired with HR monitor) and my Apple Watch. But normal daily activity gets overestimated. So if I have a day with a lot of steps rather than actual workouts my calories burned will be way higher than they should be. Kind of a shame, since this never happened with a non-HR device. The only fix I've found is turning off the HR function, but this kind of defeats the purpose of the Fitbit...

I think I'm going back to my Apple Watch. It's kind of useless now since the whole point of it was to get a good view of my overal calories burned.
  • unsuspectingfish
    edited January 2017
    I think you can adjust the sensitivity of it to track better. I remember doing that at some point.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    KinoM wrote: »
    I've always found my fitbit burn estimates to be high, so I adjust half of the daily burn back by putting a 'fitbit adjust' entry into my food logs (it's in the database already). That gives a healthy margin of error.

Please can you explain where this Fitbit adjust is - I think I'd like to copy your approach
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    rosnz wrote: »
    Please can you explain where this Fitbit adjust is - I think I'd like to copy your approach

You just enter it into your food diary, just look up fitbit in the food database.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    That doesn't sound high to me at all considering your height, weight, and activity level. I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and my TDEE via Fitbit is 2100 to 2400 calories per day, so it's very close to you. Let's just call it 2200. Based on that TDEE, to lose a pound per week, we'd eat 1700 calories per day; to lose two pounds per week, we'd eat 1200 calories per day. That's actually pretty spot on when you look the numbers, no?

I've been using the Charge HR since July 2015 when I started at 139 pounds. I upgraded to the Charge 2 when it was released. If anything mine slightly underestimates my TDEE. If you're concerned, follow the advice of @PAV8888 or just eat a portion of your calories back and see if your rate of loss matches up with your Fitbit after a few weeks.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    I've set my activity level in MFP to Sedentary (basically BMR) and let the FitBit sort out the rest. I swear by it's calorie burn estimates, especially after I switched from Flex to Charge HR a while ago. I've been successfully maintaining within a ~1kg margin for nearly two years.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    MFP Sedentary is not basically BMR. My BMR is around 1550, but sedentary for me on here is 1885. With those low numbers, 335 is a big difference. But that doesn't really matter either way, since Fitbit overwrites whatever you input on MFP.

But it's great that you've been able to use it to maintain for so long. I guess it does work for some people, it just doesn't work for me. If I eat what Fitbit tells me to I'll maintain, might even gain some weight, instead of the loss it projects. It's a big difference with my previous activity monitors that were pretty spot on.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I don't really use the FitBit calorie burn for anything but the number it produces seems reasonable to me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Fitbit burns have always seemed accurate for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I also have a charge HR. Mine seems pretty accurate, maybe a little low on some days.