Beginner Runner

Options
Hey everyone

I have a bit of a conundrum.

So a few weeks ago (and early on this year), I was able to comfortably run 3 miles minimum per workout before getting tired. My times weren't great, but I was still able to do endure for 3 miles without needing a break. I had slowly improved my times, eventually running a 9 minute mile etc.

However, these past couple of weeks, I can't run for longer than 15 minutes without being exhausted and having to stop for air/water. I can't run more than 2 miles at a time before I cramp, or feel sick/light headed. I'm vegetarian, but I have recently starting drinking protein shakes every morning to make sure I'm getting the extra nutrients.

What's happening to my running? Why is my endurance so bad right now? All I can think of is that my sleeping has been awful this past week.. getting maybe 12 hours of sleep in total. And I work 40 hours a week as a childcare leader, so I'm on my feet every day burning a few thousand calories.

Is the problem that I'm not eating /enough/ to run AND work 8 hours? Or is it the sleep? Both? Is there something I can add to my diet to help?

:( I miss being able to run well.. I'm only a beginner at it, but I feel like I'm taking steps back..
Please help!!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Could be so many things! Dehydration; insufficeint sleep; not eating enough; overtraining; simply running faster so now you're going too fast to complete the distance, etc.

Are you eating your exercsie calories? Do you have rest days?
  • dolcefarniente
    Options
    I definitely drink enough water, I don't over train (maybe I dont train enough??), etc.

I eat very healthily.. hardly any 'crap' in my diet. But what do you mean exercise calories? Im getting protein, iron, carbs etc.

I also have a lot of rest days. Because of my new job Im lucky if I work out twice a week... but if you include work, then I only get weekends as rest days, which typically become my run days. My summercamp job with kids is 8 hours a day steady on my feet with a 20 minute lunch break, if that.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I definitely drink enough water, I don't over train (maybe I dont train enough??), etc.

I eat very healthily.. hardly any 'crap' in my diet. But what do you mean exercise calories? Im getting protein, iron, carbs etc.

I also have a lot of rest days. Because of my new job Im lucky if I work out twice a week... but if you include work, then I only get weekends as rest days, which typically become my run days. My summercamp job with kids is 8 hours a day steady on my feet with a 20 minute lunch break, if that.

When you log your runs on MFP, it adds the calories you burned back to your daily goal. You should be eating at least half of them.

If your job changed when you began working at the summer camp, did you set your Activity Level to reflect that? If not, your daily calorie goal may be too low, so now you're feeling the effects of undereating since you began the new job. That would make it very difficult to sustain your running performance.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    It may have to do with the heat - not sure where you live and how bad it is, and whether you run inside or out, but here in TX, it has definitely been affecting me and the other runners I know - I felt so strong back in June, and moved up to a faster/longer running group, and this week I felt like I was dying when I ran with them. One think I've noticed is that I've been slacking on my long slow runs, and I think that is definitely affecting things. Only running twice a week will definitely affact things too - can you squeeze at least one (preferably 2) runs in during the week? Even if they are only 20-25 minutes, and then do a long run (even if it is run/walk intervals) and a regular run on the weekends? And make sure you are hydrating consistently, and that you are eating enough.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    8 hours on your feet with only a 20 minute break???
    Girl, your legs are DEAD! If you are a runner, (especially a new runner) then those aren't rest days. If you aren't getting enough recovery through sleep there is no way your legs are going to carry you. Even if you think you're getting enough water or food your brain is the part of your body that controls everything. It will do anything it can to protect you. That means killing your lungs or making you feel like you need water. It's telling you to stop.

If you are CERTAIN that you are getting enough nutrition, (eating back those cals you're burning chasing kids) and water then rest would be next thing to think about.

Also, I'm just curious, if you know you are burning a few thousand cals at work how can you call those rest days?
  • dolcefarniente
    Options
    Oh good point! I forgot to change the activity level.. thanks!
  • dolcefarniente
    Options
    to srp2011:

I will definitely try adding short runs to my week and long rungs on weekends.. thanks!

to karincakes:

I see your point, I'm not really getting rest days... but how can i make sure i do? Should i dedicate my weekends entirely to resting? Even so that's only 2 days a week of rest.. and i can't shorten my work schedule at all.. what would you recommend?
    I will definitely start eating more though and drinking more water each day to make sure my calories burned from work are enough.

thanks everyone!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is making sure you are sleeping well at night. It's the only reasonable solution. You should have a day of complete rest before your long run. So do the long run on Sunday and rest on Saturday. The quick runs during the week are a good idea too. This way you can probably get in 2-3 runs a week, (not on consecutive days) and start building again. You'll get back to where you were in no time! Maybe even quicker than you think, but it's really important to listen to the signals your body is giving you.

Good luck!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You dont need a 'dedicated rest day' but you should have at least two non running days a week. Definately
    if you are on your feet all day you need to up your base calories.

Also, heat will effect you a lot! I run 6-8 miles comfortably at 7mph normally: when we has a heat wave day (32 in the uk vs normal summer of 25) i did 3 miles at 6 mph and totally crashed! Took me a day off to recover as well!

Lesson learned, in hot weather:
    Eat properly, drink tonnes of water, take water on your runs. Speed and distance will recover but decide which one your wish to fo us on before your run and dont worry if the other suffers.