How many pounds equal a clothing size for you?

Options
I'm sure this varies from person-to-person but I'm curious how many pounds you had to lose before you needed to go down a size in clothing?

Replies

• Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 14 lbs - to lose 1 pants size and 2 shirt sizes.

That said, I was at the larger end of the larger pants size and am very comfortably in the smaller! I am also 178cm (f) so it seems to take 'more' weight too lose a size and the size I am is probably only a size up from the smallest I would comfortably be with my frame. Would recommend measuring yourself too as I found that helpful, as well as going by how you feel.

Lastly: sizes do fluctuate from store to store! Some stores I could get into another pants size lower, some I would be exactly the same size I was before! Again - measuring yourself helps combat this.
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For me it is 25lbs per size.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 before I went down a pants size and even then I probably have no business really being in a smaller size but I was too stubborn to buy the larger size again.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person AND for the same person during different weight phases. It took me 50 lbs to go down a size at my highest. Right now it takes about 30 I think, and might take even less down the line.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when i first started it was about 20 pounds. larger clothing has more room to go up - or down.

now, 80 pounds lighter - its about 10.

that said, i have clothes in my wardrobe that range from an 8 to a 16.

gotta love women's sizing .... :/
  • ShaleSelkies
    ShaleSelkies Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My shirt sizes just seem to be pushing over the boderline of a smaller size now but I'm only a little over 15lbs down overall and I think I might have to get some new jeans soon or something. And I'd just learn how to actually get the correct sizing bother.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Based on how it went when I gained weight, if I go backwards:

- UK 18 to 16: probably 10-ish lbs - a lot of jersey material with a lot of stretch, plus vanity sizing = roomier clothes
    - 16 to 14: 14lbs or so?
    - 14 to 12: 24lbs
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    To get from a UK 14 (US 10) down to a 12 (US 8) it took me 20lbs, even so I am never the same size from one item to the next! Like other posters my wardrobe has everything from a 10 to an 16 and it's nothing to do with weight fluctuation. Luckily I'm more concerned about the fit than the size on the label.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have everything from a UK 10 to 16 in my wardrobe, I have size 14 which are tight and size 12 which are loose! But I would say after the first stone (14lb) things which were tight fitted and after the second 14lb some things were too big to wear so were taken to the charity shop. The last few LB don't seem to make a huge amount of difference in actual size, its more about fitting better (fewer lumps and bumps), same if an extra few lb go on over Christmas/holidays.
  • KKHKISHZKH
    KKHKISHZKH Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think it works out about 14lb per dress size for me. I was a snug size uk16 at my highest weight of just over 13 stones. I wore a size 14 between just over 11 stones and about 12 and a bit stones, and a size 12 between 10 and 11 stones. I can't seem to get below 10 stones, but I can start fitting in some size 10 stuff at that weight.
  • MagBird1103
    MagBird1103 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Roughly 15 pounds per size for me. Went from size 14 to size 10 after losing 30ish pounds.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs and went from a size 10 to a size 6. From 10 to 8, was about 10 lbs. Then I quickly went to a 6. It was odd.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It only takes about 10 pounds for me. But I'm pretty short. I think that plays into it somehow.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    10 to 15 pounds per pants size. Lost 100 pounds, went from a seze 20 to a size 8.
  • canteronkat
    canteronkat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started working out I went up pants size due to building more muscle on my butt
  • Baruchuda
    Baruchuda Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can be down a size without any losses - sometimes I lose inches but no weight.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    10-12lbs is usually enough for a loss in a "size" of pants.
    Shirts require more loss- not really for size but to look good.

Currently:
    Im 5'4 155-157
    US pant size 8 ( Of course what does this even mean anymore. A size 8 at one store is like a 6 somewhere else)
    Shirt M

Down from 162-172 range where I was a 10 : Size L shirt
    From 173-181 where I was a 12 (post-baby) :Size L a few XL shirts.

My lowest ever - in my post-kid adult life at 133 I was a 4/6.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I went from a tight 20 to an 18 really quickly probably 20 lbs. and then was in an 18 forever.... like maybe 40 lbs and then went to a 16. And actually lost only 5 lbs before going to a 14. (but lost quite a few inches in that time).

That said. I have pants that I wear on a regular basis for work that are a 14 to an 18. Women's sizing is a bunch of silly nonsense.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It is a lot more the more I weigh. It can take me 20 lbs to go down a size. The smaller I get, the more each pound matters. When I'm 10 lbs within goal weight, every 5 lbs is a different size.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It changed as I got smaller. I'm 5'7", started at 195lbs (all sizes are US):

From 195-180 I was 14/16
    From 180-165 I was 12/14
    From 165-155 I was 10/12
    From 155-150 I was 8/10
    From 150-145 I am a solid 8
    Below 145 I wear a size 6 (haven't gotten below about 138, at least not since I was significantly shorter)

My suspicion? Larger clothes are cut somewhat differently because as we gain we don't necesarily gain evenly over our entire bodies, and clothing manufacturers have to accommodate that. The difference between a pear, and apple, and an hourglass shape at a size 6 is not as significant as it can be at a size 16. So they make the larger clothes roomier everywhere and it takes a bigger change in weight to change sizes when you are in the bigger sizes.