I could use a friend

Options
Hi, I'm 33 and have struggled with my weight for years. When I was single I lost 60 pounds by exercising and counting calories. During that time I met and married my husband and we've spent the last 6 years gaining weight together. We're both trying to get healthier now, however I have a much further way to go. I have a very stressful job, and sometimes at the end of the day I just want to binge and cuddle up on the couch. I guess that's why I thought Couch to 5K would be a good start. The trouble is, I'm so out of shape that I'm taking the 9 week C25K program and undoubtedly have extended it into an 18 week program just by being so crap at running.

I need some support, and was hoping this would be a good place to turn to.

Replies

• heatheramaral
    heatheramaral Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I live in Cocoa, FL and two of my coworkers have been working on the Coach to 5K. I think thats great. I work full-time and am a full-time student so I can relate to wanting to cuddle up on the couch after a long day. Joining a group like this is a wonderful way to reach your fitness and nutritional goals. Good for you!! I'd be happy to support you if you need it!

Heather
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) Lots of great supportive folks on here.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Welcome...would love to motivate and support ya!
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    It's great that you and your husband are going at it together! For many people, spousal support is a stress ful job. I know what you mean by the C25K program. When I first did it 5 years ago, I had the same challenge. I kept at it and eventually, I completed the whole program running 9 minute miles. I felt great! The important thing is your committment, that you get up every day and do the best that YOU can. If you just do that, you will see progress. Next month, I'm going to repeat the C25K program.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • 1petewest
    1petewest Posts: 281
    Options
    welcome elcafefuerte! stay true to yourself and utilize advice and tips you get from this site or others. what has worked for me is making a habit of tracking EVERYTHING, and keeping fitness at the forefront of your mind. God bless you in your journey!
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! I'll shoot you an invite. :D
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Welcome! We are all here to help. Sending a friend request your way.
  • elcafefuerte
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I didn't expect so many replies so soon. Thank you so much!
  • corinne61270
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You will make your goal, you just need to set a realistic time limit. Maybe running is not the answer to start. Try to do 30 - 45 minutes of cardio 3 days a week. This could be power walking, jumping rope, zumba, jogging/running. Yoga is also very relaxing, yet an amazing work out to help build your core. Try to limit your daily calorie intake to 1210 - 1500. It's not easy at first, but you will get the hang of it within the first week. If there is a local gym that offers weight loss boot camp, give that a shot. I have been doing it now for 2 months and have lost inches along with 10 lbs. Think about how long it took you to put all the weight one .... we can't expect to lose it over night. Don't give up hope. You could get thru this. Just be patient and dedicated and you will begin to see results.:smile:
  • beaglenutty
    beaglenutty Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Welcome! i'm sending you a friend request.
  • bouche05
    bouche05 Posts: 13
    Options
    Welcome! Let's do it together..we CAN just don't give up.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I love to cuddle and eat too! I lost my cuddle partner. So I am single and it does make it easier to lose weight. Lucky for you hubby is on-board with the weight-loss plan! You will do great don't worry about any setbacks we all have had them. Just keep trying :)
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm working on a running program similar to C25K (it's called the Run Your Butt Off program. No, seriously :smile: ), and it's hard for me too. I've always been terrible at running, so I'm taking it sloooooooow. So far I've worked up to being able to do 5 minutes of slow running, and that's a big deal for me! Just take your time and you'll be able to do it too.

I'm sending you a friend request -- feel free to add me!
  • PianoRaven
    PianoRaven Posts: 52
    Options
    I just wanted to encourage you NOT to give up on the running!

I've had chronic knee problems since the age of 16. I have patellar tendonitis in both knees and never thought I could be a runner. Even in my best shape, I always used the elliptical machine and couldn't actually run.

Ironically, I married a man who runs marathons in his free time. I finally decided to stop making excuses for myself and started the C25K. I had to quit after 2 weeks because my knees flared up so bad I could hardly walk.

So I took a few weeks off, then started right back up. I finished the entire program early this year, and now I run 3 miles several times a week. And I actually ENJOY it! :huh:

I'm telling you, if I can do it, then ANYONE can! Just keep at it!
  • ladykathalina
    ladykathalina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great place to find encouragement and support and I enjoy the success stories too! I am 53 and I want to be much healtier too! I'd like to lose 50 so I will look forward to being a support to you too as we go through our weight loss journey! I will send you a friend request. I watched 2 interesting shows or documentries on Netflix. One was "fat, sick and nearly Dead" I highly recommend it. It is very intersting to see this guy's weight loss journey while fasting on just jucing fruits and vegetables. The next show is "Food Matters"...I think....Excellent show talking about food and the effects of eating fruits and vegetables, nuts (micro-nutrients) and all the other meats, breads, etc (macro-nutrients), They were also talking about how we really should be taking a lot of vitamin supplements and have at least 51% of our diet with fresh fruits and vegies.... Both shows were very educational....wish I learned this stuff 20 years ago but I guess it's not too late! Well Good luck and God Bless~!
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    Welcome to mfp:smile:
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for support! Feel free to add me as a friend, good luck on your journey!
  • RubyHearts
    RubyHearts Posts: 67
    Options
    You've come to the right place for motivation and support! Feel free to add me!