achilles tendonitis...ideas for exercise adaptations?

Options
I have been fighting achilles tendonitis for almost a year now. I developed it while jogging to relieve stress (evidently you should be aware of your stride when you run and not run as if you can run away from all your issues). When I was diagnosed, I stopped running, did PT and gained 25-30 pounds. The PT made it worse. I need some ideas for adapting exercises. I am allowed rocking motions, so I can walk, ride a bike or swim. I am also allowed to lift weights as long as I avoid any lengthening of the tendon (so no over head press or cleans).
I do not have access to a pool, and I'm looking to do some lifting. Anyone have any ideas for adaptations other than putting plates under my heels when I squat? I also love circuit training, but am not sure how to do that without jumping or sprinting. Also, I am interested in yoga adaptations...
I will be fitted for a brace this week, and it will seriously restrict my movement (not as bulky as a boot, but keeps the foot from flexing too far.
Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Cycling is good as long as you have your saddle height just right.

I tore (micro tears) both my Achilles tendons on a long, long bicycle ride ... a hilly ride with my saddle just slightly too high. And evidently if your saddle is too low, you can experience the same thing.

Since then I wear braces any time I do really long rides in hilly terrain ... my Achilles tendons are just that weak.

However, get your saddle height right, and perhaps wear a brace, and you should be able to ride. :)
  • cguydo
    cguydo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Abruru, I am so sorry this happened to you. My achilles tendonitis started 2.5 years ago so I understand how you feel. It has been a long and frustrating road including doctors, podiatrists, scans, PT. I've been doing indoor bicycling. It goes well until I use a lot of resistance. So you could probably do cycling to get some exercise or walking/hiking. Good luck on your healing!!
  • R4SNik
    R4SNik Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My husband is an avid runner, but 3 decades of running and marathons finally took its toll on his Achilles. Like you he rested and did PT for almost a year. He recently started going to hot yoga. It allows him to lengthen the tendon without stressing it.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses and the advice. I picked up a few yoga videos today, and I'm hoping I can lengthen the tendon gently over time. I went to get fitted for my brace and the doctor had ordered the wrong leg. So at least another week...
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bummppping to look for lifting ideas...anybody? Buehler? Buehler?