Anyone lactose intolerant?

Options
How do you deal with it? Pills, fight through it, shots?

How severe is yours?

Replies

• noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I am. For me I'm generally good to go so long as I don't have regular milk and I find that milkshakes always seem to really upset my stomach and give me cramps (yet I drink them anyways because the pain is worth it). But other than that, I just can't have too much dairy.

I don't take any pills for it.

I take pills but I haven't figure out to make them work. Haha, I do the same with ice cream. But it has to be a good ice cream to make it worth it.
    Sometimes even chocolate covered peanuts give me pain.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm not but one of my kids is. She just takes the otc dairy pills before she eats dairy and then some things she has to avoid all together like dairy milk (she drinks almond milk now). There's so many substitutes out there so it's not that big of a deal anymore :)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely intolerant. My body produces some lactose but not enough. I take pills. They help somewhat but I still limit my dairy intake. Even with taking the pills, I'll still experience symptoms if I eat too much dairy.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I avoid all dairy because bad bad bad things happen.
    If I am craving some delicious ice cream I will take a lactaid or two, and I don't have any problems.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have a dairy allergy. I use dairy substitutes, coconut milk, coconut ice cream, etc..
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant here. I can consume small quantities of hard cheese, pure cream, butter, and sour cream (all are less than 1g lactose per serving). But absolutely no milk, yogurt, or ice cream for me. Which is fine, as I don't like those.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Avoidance is best for me. I still eat yogurt and keep lactaid on hand for ice cream.

I grew up drinking a ton of milk, so I'm probably just lactase deficient and could build tolerance if I tried. But there's also some relationship between my dairy intake and acne that I can't quite figure out...
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I avoid most dairy and use coconut products instead, but I seem to be able to tolerate raw milk just fine. So I just get most of my dairy products through a herdshare program with a local farm.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My lactose intolerance is all over the place. I can't tolerate milk, so I drink Lactaid. I can't do whey or whey isolate protein powders either. But cheese and ice cream are totally fine.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    My lactose intolerance is all over the place. I can't tolerate milk, so I drink Lactaid. I can't do whey or whey isolate protein powders either. But cheese and ice cream are totally fine.

Hard cheese has very little lactose and quite a few lactose intolerant people can tolerate it.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

Hard cheese has very little lactose and quite a few lactose intolerant people can tolerate it.

Yeah, but I mostly eat soft cheese.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Maybe it's a casein (a type of milk protein) intolerance instead. Hard cheeses have concentrated protein in them, which would be hard to digest if you have a casein intolerance. Hard cheeses actually have very little lactose.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

Maybe it's a casein (a type of milk protein) intolerance instead. Hard cheeses have concentrated protein in them, which would be hard to digest if you have a casein intolerance. Hard cheeses actually have very little lactose.

If it's casein intolerance, then wouldn't hard cheeses be a problem for me? Both hard and soft cheeses are totally fine for me but like I said, I usually eat the soft stuff.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly intolerant to milk proteins so I just avoid it at all times. There are so many substitutes (almond, coconut, soy on occasion) that it isn't that hard for me. I just feel so much better without consuming dairy as well.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am, but it's sort of all over the place, like what someone else above said. Some days I can eat ice cream and feel fine and other days it's really really bad. I think it's because I'm able to keep it in moderation so it only gets bad if I really overdo it. It's no fun to have to miss out on things because of crippling gut pain. I just stick to a fairly vegan diet (I'm also a vegetarian, so it just so ends up that way) and it helps. I try to view most dairy as a treat and usually only allow myself to indulge in the evenings and on weekends, so if I accidentally overdo it which is rare I can just take a nap or go to bed early :). I used to keep pills with me at all times just in case, but hardly ever feel like I need them now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not drink cow's milk or eat cottage cheese. I usually can handle yogurt, cheeses, and ice cream.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i have no problem with cheese or greek yoghurt or small quantities of milk.however other types of yoghurt,or a full glass of milk are not something i can handle.i just drink lactose free milk/soya/almond or something like that and avoid all yoghurts (except greek yoghurt)and creamy desserts.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer terribly from eczema because of my lactose intolerance and although I cut out lactose products I would still react through other foods that I was unaware of containing traces of dairy. Until I fully dedicated myself to veganism and I have never felt better! I no longer need to worry whether or not I will react and I can still enjoy milk (plant based) and dairy free ice cream. There are so many alternatives to dairy products in this day and age. Cashew cheese, coconut cheesecakes, flavored soy or almond milks, dairy free butters, nut butters, vegan chocolates, custards and so much more!
  • noemorales1022
    noemorales1022 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments! Wow, I guess it varies a lot for everyone. I've also found that being well hydrated reduces the effects. Also aged cheese tends to do the same. The more aged, the better. Again, thank y'all. Make sure to add me if you want. My food diary is public.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I can handle things like parmesan, small amounts of butter, baked goods, etc. The moment i start drinking milk, having a latte, having yogurt, having melted cheese, and protein bars/shakes? It's AWFUL.

I think in general people who are lactose intolerant wont have as many issues with hard cheeses, whey isolate products, etc. But for me, i try to limit my exposure as much as possible because it simply isn't worth it.

Now, if i DO eat dairy by mistake or if i know i'm GOING to eat dairy i take something called "lactocare" which is essentially the lactase enzyme needed to digest lactose. This helps significantly, but it simply isn't worth the eczema, bloating, roiling stomach, gas, and more to try and take this all the time to have dairy. Especially with the plethora of non-dairy options usually available to me.

oh, and P.S. someone above mentioned ice cream. I seem to be able to handle ice cream from ben n jerry's and blue bell (in normal quantaties of course), but i usually have issues if i try and have gelato, higher fat ice creams, or boutique ice creams (like a ice cream shop, marble slab, coldstone, etc.)