Suggestions for low impact cardio?

Options
So two years ago, I truly started to get healthy and exercise became an integral part of my life. I went to Jazzercise 4 or 5 times a week, and jogged the other days. Dropped 40+ lbs and was toned and strong for the first time in my life. Was training for a 10k and tore the cartilage in my knee. No Weight bearing exercise as I needed surgery. Now I am post surgery 5months but still not able to go back to jazzercise or any high impact activities. No running as per Dr. and I still have pain in knee. I gained back all the weight as I really had a pity party about having worked so hard to be where I was and not be able to continue. I now have my eating back on track, which I know is a huge part of it but I need some suggestions on workouts that I can do. Do I start a weight training program, pilates?? What else is low impact? I hate our local pool so water workouts are out. I would appreciate any ideas as I have to find something that I enjoy to stick with :)

Replies

• joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Can you use the elliptical? I love it (although I like running more, but I use the elliptical several times a week to give my old body a rest from running). I heard once that the recumbent bike is good for knee issues..... or any bike? Maybe your doctor or a physical therapist can give you suggestions. Great job getting back on the wagon... I don't blame you for having a pity party, but a least you are "in recovery" now. I wish well!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking workouts like those listed above are great. Because there is no choreography you can modify any moves you're not comfortable with. For less impact you can do these on puzzle type workout mats.

A rebounder (mini trampoline) is very low impact. Look for a better quality one as cheap ($50) ones are like jumping on the floor, very stiff. I really like my Jump Sport. For a preview - google Bellicon workouts on You Tube.
  • Vonny_Vr
    Vonny_Vr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The elliptical and bike are still uncomfortable for my knee and cause swelling :( Slow process. I do have a work out from my physio, just looking for something that I can love again.
    Thanks for the walking workouts! I will definitely try them :smiley:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Pilates, Yoga, swimming, rowing machine...
  • Fmess5
    Fmess5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you posed this question to your doctor or PT?

I teach pilates and there are many modifications that you can do for knee issues. Just make sure you listen to your body--you know how far you can go. Pilates will help with strength and flexibility. And, I love it b/c I can turn my mind off and focus only on what I'm doing at that moment--great stress relief.

Good luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you can walk, I highly recommend it. Low impact, relaxing and is easy to achieve a decent calorie burn.
  • Vonny_Vr
    Options
    Fmess5 wrote: »
    Have you posed this question to your doctor or PT?

I teach pilates and there are many modifications that you can do for knee issues. Just make sure you listen to your body--you know how far you can go. Pilates will help with strength and flexibility. And, I love it b/c I can turn my mind off and focus only on what I'm doing at that moment--great stress relief.

Good luck!

Yes I have talked to my Dr. and he said to find something I like doing and don't push myself- not very helpful. I have been doing yoga and my instructor is great at giving me modifications so know how much your clients appreciate that :) I have some pilates videos I am trying and walking on my treadmill everyday until I get stronger. Thanks for the insight on pilates and the well wishes :)
  • Vonny_Vr
    Options
    If you can walk, I highly recommend it. Low impact, relaxing and is easy to achieve a decent calorie burn.

I can and have been, even been trying to add some squats daily but I feel like the tin man from Wizard of Oz who really needs some oil for knee joint...lol.
    Thanks for the input - much appreciated :smiley:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Vonny_Vr wrote: »
    So two years ago, I truly started to get healthy and exercise became an integral part of my life. I went to Jazzercise 4 or 5 times a week, and jogged the other days. Dropped 40+ lbs and was toned and strong for the first time in my life. Was training for a 10k and tore the cartilage in my knee. No Weight bearing exercise as I needed surgery. Now I am post surgery 5months but still not able to go back to jazzercise or any high impact activities. No running as per Dr. and I still have pain in knee. I gained back all the weight as I really had a pity party about having worked so hard to be where I was and not be able to continue. I now have my eating back on track, which I know is a huge part of it but I need some suggestions on workouts that I can do. Do I start a weight training program, pilates?? What else is low impact? I hate our local pool so water workouts are out. I would appreciate any ideas as I have to find something that I enjoy to stick with :)

The lowest impact cardio available is bicycling (exercise bike, spin bike, trainer, or real bike). I have had surgery on both knees (meniscus tears), and in both cases - the doctors directed me to using the bicycle to rehab. It takes about 6 months to a full year for you to be back at full strength. You are only 5 months out, and perhaps doing too much, too soon weight bearing exercises to rehab your knee correctly and keep swelling down. I was in excellent shape (I average 8+ hours a week on the bike) going into surgery both times (tore the first one playing basketball, and the other years later on my routine walk to lunch one day when I misjudged a curb). It surprised me that it took so long (6-12 months) for me to be back at full strength with no muscle atrophy, and able to do more weight bearing exercises - but this is normal.

Do you have access to an exercise bike? Or do you own a bike you can put a trainer in the house during the Winter months?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cycling (which strengthens the knees), Nordic skiing, swimming.