Too much protein?

Options
I have 4 days logged and my protein amount has exceeded what is required for every day! Should I try to cut back or is this ok?

Replies

• giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Same question! I thought protein was a good thing?
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am going to lean on it is ok, protein suppresses appetite and helps build lean muscle........:smile:
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am going to lean on it is ok, protein suppresses appetite and helps build lean muscle........:smile:
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    You can NOT have too much protein...Read some of my blogs ,i talk about protein intake..My Doc says to eat at least 100 grams a day.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You're probably fine. MFP sets it at 15% of your calories. Many people change it to 30-40%. You can change this by clicking goals under the my home tab.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can't give you an official answer for this, but I usually go over on my protein and I don't worry about it. I'm still losing weight...

Part of it has been do to the vegetarian meats we eat, and my wife & I are slowly getting them out of our diet in an effort to cut back on processed foods, so that may bring it down a bit. But I'm not stressing about it.
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're going by the protein recommendation from MFP, you're fine going over it a bit. In all the studies I've seen in my degree, damage hasn't been seen in amounts up to 2.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. The actual minimum recommendation is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day and that is pretty close to where MFP sets everyone to start with. You can do 1-1.5 g/kg for endurance type exercisers and 1.5-2 g/kg for strength type exercisers to get the most benefits for your workouts. Those are usually way above MFP's recommendations. ;)
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Protein is good, especially if you are working out, you need it for muscle growth and repair.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    MFP protein guide is quite low. Shoot for .5 to 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body weight.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Protein is good, especially if you are working out, you need it for muscle growth and repair.

amen!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can also check out "The China Study", too much protein is not considered good by everyone.
  • Cherry21
    Cherry21 Posts: 7
    Options
    Protein is good and an ok thing to go over on I regularly go over also.