1000 calories a day and working out - no loss this week

Options
Hi all,

I kick-started my diet in the new year and lost 6 lbs in the first week. We're on day 4 of the second week and I've gained a lb.

What's am I doing wrong this week?

I'm sticking to 1000 - 1200 calories and running 4 times a week (about 4k).

I've lost 60lbs a couple of years ago doing this and I want to loose about another 20 lbs.

Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With 20 pounds to go expect weight loss to be in the 1/2 - 1 pound a week range. If you've gained 1 pound while eating 1,000 calories a day.....it's not fat.....it's water (or waste). High sodium, time of month, sore muscles all contribute to weight fluctuation.

If you lost 6 pounds the first week most of that was water weight.....were you low carbing by chance? When you start a new diet you drop lot's of water (and a little fat) the first week.

1,000 calories is way too low to be getting proper nutrition.....unless you are 4'8" tall or something. MFP will give you a 1200 calorie minimum BEFORE exercise. Logging exercise gives you more calories.

Fast weight loss will also help you lose a fair amount of lean muscle mass. Change your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 pound a week, add strength training and meet protein goals to help you retain lean muscle. You don't want to end up skinny-fat.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »
    You aren't doing anything wrong (other than you shouldn't be eating less than 1200 calories, but that's another matter).

Depending on how tall this person is and what their metabolism is like, I wouldn't say 1,000 is that bad (although it's not sustainable and I'd only do it for a month at a time max). And given eating a little over or under my goal, I'd eat over.

I'm 5' 2" with an underactive thyroid and I've found 1200 doesn't make me lose the pound a week that I want (trying to get from 155 to 102 lbs). It used to though :(

On the other hand, if you're within 15-10 pounds of your goal weight, the weight loss needs to slow down. Otherwise, as someone else here mentioned, your body is going to eat up more muscle than it needs to. That and you're going to feel crappy after awhile.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree that much of that first 6 pounds was probably water. Ironically make sure you are drinking lots of water to help your body get rid of the excess. Also some people lose in bunches, like down 6 up 2, down 4 up 1, down .5 etc. Be patient. If you already lost 60 you know this works. I am going through the same thing you are and can tell my rings get tight when I gain so I know it's water. I'm on my last 20 or so and have lowered my expectations to half a pound a week. I want to be sure when I go into maintenance that I don't gain weight so want to lose the last bit slowly. Look at it this way you are going in the right direction ultimately.
  • Michelle45Quest
    Michelle45Quest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cheryl,
    I'm new to being really serious about my weight loss at this point in my life. Can you give me some meal plans or information on how you lost the weight, thus far.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't focus so much on the numbers, and more so on your measurements. So many things attribute to that fluctuation, but even if you are up a pound, your waist, arms, etc. could be getting smaller. It sounds like you have a pretty good thing going, so don't get discouraged! Keep up the great work. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I kick-started my diet in the new year and lost 6 lbs in the first week. We're on day 4 of the second week and I've gained a lb.

I've lost 60lbs a couple of years ago doing this and I want to loose about another 20 lbs.

Places where you may be going wrong:
    1. Having unrealistic expectations - with 20 lbs to lose, a goal of 0.5 lb/week is appropriate.
    2. Not eating enough to fuel your body and your workouts... If you are regularly eating 1000-1200 AND exercising on top of that then you are undereating, risking not getting adequate nutrition, burning out, fatigue, loss of lean body mass. You really should be NETTING at least 1200 cals, and probably more since you have only 20 lbs to lose.
    3. Not understanding that weight naturally fluctuates and isn't going to be a straight linear downward trend. The 6 lbs you lost in week one was likely a lot of water weight "woosh" from after the holidays, many of us experienced the same. Then your weight likely normalized, and as things settle down you will probably lose again, but you should be losing more slowly and it won't be consistent from week to week.
    4. Not logging accurately - are you using a food scale?
    5. All of the above.
  • KusiQuyllur2015
    KusiQuyllur2015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have similar goals. I'm also jogging every day and eating around 1100 cal. Feel free to add me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    We have similar goals. I'm also jogging every day and eating around 1100 cal. Feel free to add me.

Your goal is to under eat and lose lean body mass?
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you lost 6lbs in week 1, you probably gained a bit in week 2 because you are still losing the 6lbs you thought you've already lost. It's near impossible to actually lose that much in a week if you only have 20 lbs to lose.
  • DSNStratos
    DSNStratos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are your weigh-ins at the same time of day? 1/2 lb a week seems painfully slow imho, but probably sustainable and healthy!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So you've averaged 2.5 lbs per week (and the second week isn't even over yet, so that's an understatement). That's a really fast rate of loss! Likely mostly water. Are you weighing yourself daily? Nothing wrong with this, if you don't get upset by normal fluctuations, but you might want to use an app that averages your weight and watch the trend (or just do what I just did and take the total loss so far and divide by the number of weeks you've been dieting to get your lbs/week loss rate).

Tldr - you are less than two weeks in and have lost five lbs. You are doing fantastic. Stay the course.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cheryl,
    I'm new to being really serious about my weight loss at this point in my life. Can you give me some meal plans or information on how you lost the weight, thus far.

If you send me a friend request you can see my meals by day. I generally try to eat between 1200 and 1300 with my exercise. Lately I haven't been perfect due to my frustration at my rate of loss slowing down but am now averaging about half a pound a week. I eat less calories in the early part of the day and more in the evening which I know is opposite of what I should do but that just works for me as the evenings always find me wanting to snack. Boom Chick a pop from Costco is my friend. It is 250 calories in 7 1/2 cups and I usually eat half of that. You will see it on my eating diary most days.

For exercise because I started out at 232 pounds I just walked. I got a Garmin Vivofit 2 and decided to start slow. I set it for 4000 steps and now am up to 8000. Some days I get more but other than that I don't do a ton of exercise. I would like to start lifting to build muscle. I bought a treadmill this winter because it was getting too cold to walk outside and I do a hill program which really increases my heart rate. If I'm at work and busy in the evening I walk the mall on my break.

As time went by I began to substitute things in my diet to try to improve my health. I met with a dietician and she encouraged me to eat more vegetables so I started spiralizing. I use alot of zuchinni in place of pasta. This way I reduce carbs and calories and increase nutrition. I am getting so I prefer veggie noodles over standard pasta which used to be my favorite food.

In the beginning I allowed myself a cheat MEAL (not day) once every two weeks or so but I would still try not to overdo it. This is a dangerous area and I was very careful and often still stayed within my calories but would allow myself a meal out or something I wasn't usually eating much of like bread. I am reluctant to even share this because it is so easy to overdo it but I am being honest about how I got here. I rarely do that anymore because I just couldn't stand the thought of going over. As time has gone by I can no longer overreat because I get a stomach ache. My stomach has shrunk! I feel better when I eat healthy and I no longer miss alot of the stuff I used to eat.

Hang in there this really works if you stick with it and you really do need to log EVERYTHING you eat. That is what keeps us honest.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What ARE you eating? Maybe make your diary available for feedback. BUT, contrary to what some self professed experts claim on here, you don't gain weight by not eating enough. Don't go below 1200 without doctors advice, you will be well able to lose on 1200 a day. Just ensure food and exercise is measured accurately, and if eating back exercise calories, why not dabble with the percentage you consume back from exercise - I'm currently doing OK on 1250 min cal, and eating back about 25% but we are all a bit different - no exact science to it...
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I first lost ~60 lbs, my weight loss was all over the place, even when I ate the exact same meal plan weeks I a row. I could be stalled for a week and then lose more weight. I could go up a few pounds. As long as you are consistent, it will go down. Pay attention (totally giving myself this pep talk right now too) to the overall trend of your weight, not week-to-week weigh-ins or you'll drive yourself insane.