Why did I gain weight?

Options
I actually just weighed myself today, and it says I gained 13 pounds. I honestly have no idea why, and I was hoping someone could help.

I exercise almost every day, I do weight training twice a week, I go to martial arts twice a week, and I've been counting my calories. I've lost more than 10% of my body fat (originally 33.8, now between 23 and 22), and I've lost quite a few inches on my hips and thighs.

Is it muscle, or something different? I'm very confused...

Replies

• lauamy96
    lauamy96 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn, you'll gain weight, whether it's fat or muscle. Check your eating habits. It could also be water retention if you've had a lot of sodium
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What was the time period you gained the 13 lbs in?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gained 13 pounds - since when? Additionally, how are you measuring body fat percent?

My initial guess is that the batteries in your scale need to be replaced? Or they needed to be replaced before, and you did? Additionally, if measuring BF% via said scale (or some other BIA device), you can pretty much just ignore the number, as those are notoriously inaccurate.

eta: I just noticed this is in the GW/BB forum. Are you not trying to gain weight?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you are burning or the is a new regimen and the body is adjusting
  • BlackRose278
    BlackRose278 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I clicked on the wrong topic forum category, it was supposed to be in dieting tips. Sorry about that!

And I only weigh myself every so often, so the last time I weighed myself was a couple months ago. I use a calliper to measure BF, and the scale I use is mechanical. Every digital scale I got broke in the first few weeks or wouldn't weigh anything right, so I stay away from them.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    How accurate and consistent is your food logging?
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Body fat down, exercising regularly, inches lost, plus modest weight gain. What part of that is a problem?

You are probably eating a little more than you think--or your scales are inaccurate--but it sounds like by all reasonable measures you are headed in the right direction. I sure wouldn't worry about what the scale says.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    If your losing bodyfat, I don't see the problem. Sorry.
  • BlackRose278
    Options
    Different scale than last time? Did I read that right? Different scale = different weight. Always weigh on the same scale, same time of day, same personal state. I weigh first thing in the morning, after peeing, naked, on my bathroom scale.

In case I read your answer wrong...
    a2a295w7ceiz.jpg

It's the same scale I've had for years. I tried some electronic ones while I've had this one, and they all just kept giving me different weights or would weigh anything I placed on it as me, and give my weight instead of what they were. So I'm back to my old scale, and have used it for over a year straight now.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I clicked on the wrong topic forum category, it was supposed to be in dieting tips. Sorry about that!

And I only weigh myself every so often, so the last time I weighed myself was a couple months ago. I use a calliper to measure BF, and the scale I use is mechanical. Every digital scale I got broke in the first few weeks or wouldn't weigh anything right, so I stay away from them.

If you are gaining you are not in a deficit. Do you weigh your food and use correct entries (no generics or homemade)? Do you log everything? When was the last time you changed your calorie goal? Doubtful it is all muscle since it sounds like you were trying to be in a deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Body fat down, exercising regularly, inches lost, plus modest weight gain. What part of that is a problem?

You are probably eating a little more than you think--or your scales are inaccurate--but it sounds like by all reasonable measures you are headed in the right direction. I sure wouldn't worry about what the scale says.

problem is those thing are not going to happen if OP really gained 13 pounds.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Different scale than last time? Did I read that right? Different scale = different weight. Always weigh on the same scale, same time of day, same personal state. I weigh first thing in the morning, after peeing, naked, on my bathroom scale.

a2a295w7ceiz.jpg

It's the same scale I've had for years. I tried some electronic ones while I've had this one, and they all just kept giving me different weights or would weigh anything I placed on it as me, and give my weight instead of what they were. So I'm back to my old scale, and have used it for over a year straight now.

OK. Mechanical scales - due to the fact that they are basically just a spring - wear out over time. It's possible this is your issue. It's also possible that - since you haven't weighed yourself in a couple of months - that you either are retaining water (for whatever reason, although I doubt it now - a week or two ago? sure. now? eh...) or really did overeat for 13 lb worth.

Can you: place an object of known weight (such as a 50 lb or higher dumbbell) on your scale to verify it's reasonably accurate (up to 50 lb or whatever you use)? Or, do you have a doctor's appointment sometime soon, where you can check your weight vs. his/her scale?
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I actually just weighed myself today, and it says I gained 13 pounds. I honestly have no idea why, and I was hoping someone could help.

I exercise almost every day, I do weight training twice a week, I go to martial arts twice a week, and I've been counting my calories. I've lost more than 10% of my body fat (originally 33.8, now between 23 and 22), and I've lost quite a few inches on my hips and thighs.

By the sounds of things you are doing amazing! I put a lot more emphasis on decreased body fat and decreased inches over the scale any day of the week.

The scale can be quite misleading and really isn't a true gauge of your fitness alone.,.. its is one piece of the puzzle sure but not the be all.

So if your body fat is decreasing and you are losing inches then keep doing whatever it is you are doing! No one else in the world will see the scale you are standing on ... but the loss of fat and inches is visible to all and is of the greatest benefit to your health.

I wouldn't change a thing you are doing... keep up the great work.
  • BlackRose278
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info! I'm going to go make an appointment for my doctor and ask what could be done. I am tracking my calories correctly, and I don't think I need to exercise more than I do now (it's about 5-6 times a week in total, for 40-60 minutes each time), so it might be something else. I'm glad I'm losing fat and inches, but I just want to make sure that everything is okay.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info! I'm going to go make an appointment for my doctor and ask what could be done. I am tracking my calories correctly, and I don't think I need to exercise more than I do now (it's about 5-6 times a week in total, for 40-60 minutes each time), so it might be something else. I'm glad I'm losing fat and inches, but I just want to make sure that everything is okay.

Just to help your doctor - bring in at least 1 week of your diet log make sure you have logged everything. When I see patients for weight issues this is a requirement so we can go over possible pitfalls as to why they aren't losing.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When was your initial weigh in, that I'll assume was 13 pounds higher than today? Was it the same scale, the same time of day, the same level of clothing?

Edited to say from reading other comments/replies the scale itself could be bad. Though you may have gained weight in 2-3 months, 13 pounds if you are losing inches & fat is probably not right.

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

a2a295w7ceiz.jpg

OK. Mechanical scales - due to the fact that they are basically just a spring - wear out over time. It's possible this is your issue. It's also possible that - since you haven't weighed yourself in a couple of months - that you either are retaining water (for whatever reason, although I doubt it now - a week or two ago? sure. now? eh...) or really did overeat for 13 lb worth.

Can you: place an object of known weight (such as a 50 lb or higher dumbbell) on your scale to verify it's reasonably accurate (up to 50 lb or whatever you use)? Or, do you have a doctor's appointment sometime soon, where you can check your weight vs. his/her scale?

Related to possible scale issues:Do you keep your scale in the same place all the time, or do you pick it up to move it frequently/store in sideways? It should stay in the same place, flat on the floor ;-)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, can you open your food diary, please?