Beachbody Programs for Age 50+

I'm in my early 50s and my primary exercise is walking, but I need something to get toned. I've done DVD workouts successfully in the distant past (e.g. Jillian and some of the really old Beachbody workouts like the original Slim in 6) and am considering Beachbody on Demand All Access because I like the idea of streaming and variety. I'm not as nimble as I used to be, so between middle age aches, the weight I gained over the past two years from switching to a sedentary job, and an extremely busy schedule, I want to be sure there's something suitable for me. Some of the 30 minute workouts and Tony Horton's 10 minute series look good, as does the three-day yoga retreat, and I'd love to dabble with weights with Chalean Extreme if I get fit enough, but is that too much for a flabby semi-old woman to take on? Anyone else in my age group have suggestions for the best Beachbody program options?

Replies

• michellehuley
    michellehuley Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I'm not doing a specific beach body program but wanted to comment as I am 49 and totally relate to the age, aches, etc.
    I started back working out a couple weeks ago and have been focusing on a combination of cardio (speed walking and jogging) and weight training. I don't think weight are too much for anyone, as long as you start out easy and gradually build up. Weights are a fantastic way to increase the muscle tone, which in turn helps burn the fat.

• goshgarian
    goshgarian Posts: 3 Member
    I'm 52 and do daily burn. Besides a new workout that steams everyday, there are other programs available as well. They're always good to show low impact modifications.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I have not done the beach body workouts but if they appeal to you there is no reason for you not to do them.

You may like to start with returning to your older DVDs or visiting your old routines on YouTube to begin with. Once you have your basic fitness up a bit decide if the on demand is for you.

Whatever you decide take it slow, don't expect to be able to perform all moves at the pace and intensity that is shown, do the low impact version of any move to begin with- your knees will thank you.

I hadn't worked out at all until I was 54, 63 now, and have done 10km races, aqua fit, Pilates, Zumba, belly dancing, and an assortment of other classes, as well as Jillian Michaels, body weight and hand weight routines at home.
    At the moment my focus is on lifting alternating with rowing at the gym.

Don't let your age, weight, and fitness
    level now, stop you- just go at a pace that is right for you.

Cheers, h.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    doing this doing t25 come join me :)
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    At this point my basic fitness is good thanks to all the walking I've been doing since August (6 tom10 miles per day in the weekend and 2 to 5 during the week). My flexibility is non-existent and I desperately need toning so I'm hoping the programs can help with that. Jillian would kick my butt these days but I like that the BB programs supposedly have modifiers.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 2017
    I've done a few DVD programs (not necessarily BB), my favorite (hands down) is ChaLEAN Extreme!!! She introduced me to weights and haven't looked back! That gave me the confidence to try StrongLifts.
    My goal is strength training of a minimum of 3x a week for bone health and increase muscle growth, some type of cardio for cardio health and basic endurance, and trying to get myself to try yoga (having a difficult time motivating myself).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I don't do them but I am aware that there is a 30 trial period before the monthly $ kicks in. I'm not sure whether the trial includes ALL the premium programs or just the basic ones.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    HomeatWDW wrote: »
    At this point my basic fitness is good thanks to all the walking I've been doing since August (6 tom10 miles per day in the weekend and 2 to 5 during the week). My flexibility is non-existent and I desperately need toning so I'm hoping the programs can help with that. Jillian would kick my butt these days but I like that the BB programs supposedly have modifiers.

Do you have access to a local library? I'm over 50 and love Kelly Coffey Meyer DVDs. Kelly always has a modifier.....I really have to assume BB would too. It would be in their best interest to include newbies & older people.

A couple websites could help you pick out individual DVDs by fitness level, impact level and/or choreography level.....many libraries carry exercise videos.

Collagevideo.com & TotalFitnessDVDs.com will give you tons of info and video clips
    http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/kelly-coffey-meyer
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/146.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=146&show=10&page=1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, the only one you mentioned that I have done is Chalean Extreme, and it is appropriate for a beginner with two caveats - follow the modifier when you start until you feel ready to move forward, and start with light weights until you are confident your form is good. Actually, one of the cast in some of the workouts is 60 yrs young :)
  • shnsmly
    shnsmly Posts: 3 Member
    The original P90 Beachbody workout is one of my favorites and I have tried most of their workouts. The moves are slower so you can follow along easier, but you still get the a great cardio and toning workout. It isn't complicated like some of the Beachbody workouts today.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 532 Member
    I have done ChaLean extreme a number of times. One of the ladies in the video is a bit older and Chalene offers a lot of variation.