Sore joints

Options
so since I've upped my exercise, ive had a bit of pain in my ankles after my runs (to the point that i can't stand on them after) and pain in my wrists when doing push up/plank exercises. I currently don't take anything for
It, but I was wondering if anyone took supplements or vitamins to help with join pain. Or just cement to harden up?

Replies

• mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I recommend a warm bath in Epsom Salts. I used to think that was an old wives tale until I got older and believe me, the next day, you will feel better.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My old soccer coach recommended eating lots of bananas for the potassium which helps prevents pain, stretch in the hot shower while your muscles are loose, and elevate your legs while your sleeping so the lactic acid can drain out of your muscles. She kicked our butts regularly and these methods seemed to help!
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine, it takes awhile to take affect (like a week or two) but as it builds up in your body (namely joints) you will feel the difference.
  • dopehat
    dopehat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Emma. I had the same question as I get pain in my joints too.. not fun!
  • jnhallett81
    Options
    Arnica is also a good herbal remedy a lot of distance runners use it for sore joints.
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    For push ups, use a fist instead of your palm/wrist.

I also have pain in my knee when biking. And I'm also at the perfect seat hight. Any advice?
  • melstav
    melstav Posts: 1
    Options
    I think this is normal for you as you never have been an overally "active girl" it hurts now but after time of exercising i really think it will go away once your body adapts to the exercise..:) It never hurts to take supplements though. Another tip is is to wrap you ankles and wrists with a tight bandager. Athletes do this all the time while they train to minimise the pain and injury :) As an ex cross country runner and gymnast i did it for years and found it really helped me..Even now i do it :):):) Maybe a little bit of cement will help too :P
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have lived with chronic knee pain since I was 11 years old. A few years ago I heard something on NPR that was so simple but also hard to believe -- taking fruit pectin mixed with grape juice could relieve joint pain. They call it "purple pectin"

This has worked for me, so I am pleased to tell others.

Here is a link to the info, I hope you find it helpful:

http://arthritis.about.com/od/certo/Certo_Home_Remedy_Fruit_Pectin_Gelatin_Powders_Certo_Arthritis.htm

blessings.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    My first question is, how fast/hard did you bump up your exercise? If you went too fast or heavy too quickly, then your body is trying to tell you something. The fact that you can hardly stand after working out is a huge red flag that you are doing something wrong. Especially if you didn't have any of these troubles until after increasing weight/intensity/time or whatever you changed. Review your form during your workouts, decrease the intensity/weight, or change your routine. There are natural essential oils you can use for pain also.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sleepytexan actually hit on what I was going to suggest. If you mix Knox gelatin into a drink and have it a couple times a day, it is supposed to provide immediate relief. The concept is that the gelatin helps to keep the joints lubricated and a home remedy used by people with arthritis. Whereas glucosamine is a long term effect, the gelatin is short term effect. I've used it and it really does work. Hope this helps.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Sleepytexan actually hit on what I was going to suggest. If you mix Knox gelatin into a drink and have it a couple times a day, it is supposed to provide immediate relief. The concept is that the gelatin helps to keep the joints lubricated and a home remedy used by people with arthritis. Whereas glucosamine is a long term effect, the gelatin is short term effect. I've used it and it really does work. Hope this helps.

Sorry, but I'm vegan. So no cow bones for me

I'm thinking I might take a little rest and get into the glucosamine.

I'm currently doing my 4th week of ease into 10k. So I've been doing the most jogging ive ever done.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You need to ice joints after your workouts. If there is inflammation, heat will only make it worse.

I have to take care of my knees. I've been taking Glucosamine+ Chondroitin + MSM (Jarrow) for a few months and feel like it makes a difference for me.

I also use homeopathic topical anti-inflammatory creams that really help:

Trameel (for every day)
    Myo-Med (for acute pain, since this also has some pain relief properties).
  • emma1488
    Options
    They don't seem inflamed or swollen. It feels more in the joints from the impact of running.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

I'm currently doing my 4th week of ease into 10k. So I've been doing the most jogging ive ever done.

Certo is NOT gelatin -- it's fruit pectin. Absolutely vegan.

blessings.
  • emma1488
    Options

Certo is NOT gelatin -- it's fruit pectin. Absolutely vegan.

blessings.

Thanks for that! I'll have a look into that one. As I didn't have too much luck finding vegan glucosamine:(
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    It's usually on the baking aisle in the grocery store -- by the canning jars.